Best Death (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Decay_is_awesome, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Decay_is_awesome

Decay_is_awesome Well-Known Member

i debated a bit on where to put this. i think it belongs here but some people havent seen the movie and it relates to it.

what is the best death of optimus prime? you can pick anything, comics, movies, tv, novels (i think he died in that weird g1 series) and whatever else. hes pretty much died in everything hes ever been in so be as obscure as you like and state why.

2. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

I kinda like the first Beast Wars one, because it summed up his character and Megatron's perfectly. Prime heroically risks his life to save both factions from a huge disaster, and Megatron sabatoges his transportation to make SURE he dies heroically.

3. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Beast Machines. "Transform... and transcend."

4. BairdimusPrime

BairdimusPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my Fav death of optimus has to be in the original movie... saw that in theaters and was devastated.. aside from that i'll agree on season 1 bw ops death... was awsome and shocking

5. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I would have said that it was Optimus' death in the original 1986 movie. Optimus Prime not only turned the tide of battle, but showed us that he was a true badass...necessary for the survival of the Autobots. No one in the theatre was without tears. The impact that had on me as a kid was crazy...I've never ever been in such a silent theatre, until now.

With Revenge of the Fallen being so fresh to all of us, I hate to choose it as the best death, but Prime truly had the odds stacked against him. Unlike the 1986 movie, where he only faced Megatron, RotF Prime faced Megatron, Starscream and Grindor. Not only did he face them, but he truly WON. Sure he got messed up, but he was the fair and square victor. When Megatron snuck up on him, the entire theatre had that "oh shit" moment. The Autobots were screwed, Sam was as good as dead...until we realized that the Autobots finally made it there...

To add insult to injury, of course the US military unceremoniously drops Prime's remains at the NEST base...to further the tensions between the US/Autobots.

Just my opinion, and again it actually pains me to pick it, because its so fresh in my mind, but I haven't had that "oh shit" moment in any movie for a long time...and RotF delivered it.

6. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    86 movie cannot be beaten. It crushed every kid.

7. Orbital

Orbital Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A tie for me between The Transformers Movie 1986 and the Beast Machines death. I always get goosebumps when i watch Primal say his last words as he's falling to his death "Prepare to be, Reformatted."

8. maninthebox94

maninthebox94 Banned

All of primes deaths...

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    86 movie prime said megatron must be stopped no matter the cost, and no one knew just how high that cost would be

10. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For now its still the 1986 version but over time it could be the ROTF version.

11. AMG

AMG Old School

For me the most memorable was sitting in the theater in 1986 and watching Prime die. I was completely shocked.

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Working on those I have seen:

Comics:

Original "videogame" death - Good because it stayed true to the core concept of Optimus Prime. To him, a victory with the death of innocents is a loss. It usually gets cited as Optimus' silliest death, but it makes sense in character.

That said, killing himself over a videogame is pretty silly. The whole concept was a bit off base, though Optimus' reaction to it was great.

Flying into the mouth of the beast - TFG1 Issue #75: Epic. Having witnessed so many others die, having witnessed Primus himself swatted like a fly by Unicron, Optimus takes back the Matrix, cleanses it of the dark taint that had plagued it until now, and flew straight into Unicron and opened the Matrix, dying in the process but taking down Unicron with him, all while the narrator did the "They were the dream" speech.

I'd heard this was how G1 as a comic series was intended to be ended, but it managed to carry on for five more issues. In my opinion, this is the better ending: The big villain is defeated, and Optimus Prime, the central hero of the whole series, gets to make the ultimate sacrifice.

Transformers Generation 2: Consumed by the Swarm - I'll include this one, even though it's not technically a death since he comes back right away. Once again it is Optimus Prime doing the right thing, sacrificing himself for billions of others, and in the process he is able to turn the Swarm, a formerly dark force, into something new, a force of goodness.

And he gets a shiny new body for his troubles.

Japanese Generation 2 Manga / story pages: G2 Optimus Prime is defeated by Megatron, but is reformatted into his new toy by the Matrix within him. It's kind of weak, but the intention was basically to sell the "Prime of Justice" as a new toy.

Probably the weakest of all Optimus' deaths.

IDW: Optimus' sacrifice, All Hail Megatron - Once again, it is Optimus Prime doing what he does best - offering up his life to save everyone else. The fact you've just spent 7-8 issues being told he may not make it, then learning how he ended up so badly defeated shows just how awesome he is - even in defeat, he managed to pull off a victory of a sort.

Still not the best "death" though because it's told mainly in flashback, and precisely what happened when Optimus made his sacrifice was not fully shown.

Onto the cartoons:

G1, The Movie - The quintessential death of Optimus Prime. Optimus Prime and Megatron have one last showdown and end up destroying each other. It's brutal, and it's climatic. It works. Although I've got to say, Optimus dying from a few nasty blasts in the side seems anticlimatic, even though he does take a lot of punishment.

Still, it gets extra points for the deathbed scene which pounded home the fact that "your childhood hero just went to the automotive yard in the sky!"

G1: Dark Awakening - I'd give this one an extra vote, purely for how outright creepy it was. Think seeing Prime turn gray was traumatic? He gets half his face blasted off in this one! He still gets to go out like a hero, saving the day, and he also gets to give Rodimus Prime some much-needed confidence.

Beast Wars: Other Voices, Part 2 - Primal makes the heroic sacrifice, and Megatron makes sure he does die. It's an awesome scene, let down only by the seemingly half-hearted way Optimus pounds on the glass of his ship turned death trap. But he dies saving everyone, which is an awesome and by now distinctly Prime way to go (excellently brought to attention by Megatron outright saying "you Primes have a penchant for self sacrifice"). The last lingering shot of Prime's shattered chest as spacejunk is the icing on the cake.

Beast Machines, End of the Line - I personally like this one, although the death is not apparent until the following episode where he comes back (with the awesome "your time is not now" speech from Rhinox, finally back to his old self). The reason for liking this so much is it shows the ultimate cost of the growing fanaticism that we'd seen in Primal all series long escalated to disastrous levels. Here he dies because he made a mistake in trusting the Oracle, and very nearly takes out the planet. It's also one of the few times an Optimus dies in a non-heroic way. I enjoyed it, because it made Beast Machines unique in the way it presented the character.

Beast Machines, Endgame Part 3 - Another good one. Primal has conquered his personal demons, he has defeated the Vehicon generals, and now it all comes down to him VS Optimal Megatron. The fight lasts a whole episode, which is awesome, and the final self sacrifice, where both plunge into Cybertron's core was nothing short of incredible, especially with his line "Prepare to be reformatted" and closing his eyes as they both plunged into the core. The final ghostly visitation to Cheetor, showing Primal joining the Matrix, was an excellent way to cap off the entire series, and to establish that yes, he'd made the ultimate sacrifice for his fellow Autobots.

Armada, Crisis - Armada as a series started taking a dark tone with episodes in the mid 30's, with the death of Smokescreen (blow a hole in the guy, fine, but to show him struggling to stand? And melting because of the heat of the blast that put the hole there in the first place? That's pretty darn sick.) Optimus gets into a tight spot - The Decepticon planet killer is online and aimed right at the Earth. Optimus decides to do the only thing he can and breaks out the full power of the Matrix, and absorbs the full power of the shot. For a second, he looks like he'll be alright - then you get the closeup and see he's turned white.

Then part of his head shatters!

He blows up into a tiny cloud of dust, and everyone - including Megatron of all Decepticons - are at a total loss. The Decepticons end up pulling back in total shock, the Autobots were at a loss, and amid the dust, you had one lingering image of Sparkplug clutching the Matrix.

A very awesome, and shockingly brutal, death sequence. And once again, he did it selflessly, to save the people of the Earth.

Revenge of the Fallen - Optimus goes out like a hero. He fights three Decepticons, including Megatron and Starscream. He manages to lop off one of Starscream's arms, he rips Grindor's head in two, and he smacks Megatron with a tree at one point. He manages to fight off all three, until Megatron stabs him in the back, and then blasts him at point blank range for good measure. But as others have stated, even though he dies, Optimus wins - he buys enough time for the other Autobots to arrive and rescue Sam, and drive off the Decepticons.

He truly goes out like a hero, and there's real emotional impact, especially when you see his lifeless body being ferried about.

So which is my favourite? It's a tough call, but I do like the Armada, G1 #75 and Beast Machines deaths. When Optimus dies, it's always because he is fighting for a greater good, and the scale of the threat makes the sacrifice more awesome. The scene setting and the aftermath is important, and these three all carry it really well. Reading the "They were the dream" text as you watch Optimus fly into the heart of Unicron and explode was incredibly powerful even on the tenth reading years on, and Optimus' death in Armada is the one time the show's habit of making everyone go "Ah" and "ugh" did not seem out of place. And Beast Machines takes the cake with the final shot of Primal's ghost turning and fading away. That is impact.

Got to give Revenge of the Fallen props, fading out the dialogue to just the music and pulling back the camera to show the Autobots arriving also showed you how Optimus' heroic sacrifice bought the others time. Really awesome moment, and the muting of the dialogue makes it all sink in.

13. StarSaber79

StarSaber79 Banned

News Credits:
    His death in Dark Awaking was very awesome. That whole episode was amazing. I'm going to say Revenge of the Fallen Prime though since the forest battle was the bets Transformers thing ever.

14. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sol Fury - good call on issue #75 of the Marvel G1 comics! It was a pretty intense IMO. Abit of topic bit Scorponok's death scene in that issue was pretty good also.