Best deal and getting ripped off

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Grandum, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As transformers collectors we've all bought toys and other transformers products that we thought was an amazing find, and I'm sure we all have been dissapointed aswell and maybe even going as far as feeling ripped off.

So, tell me...what was your amazing find/made you feel ripped off?

For me my most amazing find must have been an Armada lot:

I was missing a couple of exclusives/figures that didn't see a Swedish release, and I was distraught because buying them one at a time and paying shipping fees/custom fees wasn't something I could afford at the time, and I was so close to having a complete Armada collection, but then I saw this one lot that had ALL the figures I was looking for and NONE of the ones I allready owned, bought them all for something silly like $80 + shipping, the huge box didn't get stuck in customs and I was as happy as could be.

My feeling ripped off moment is kind of hard to decide, it's shared between two experiences:

1 trading 70ish very well kept g1 transformers, missing only a handfull of accesssories for what was supposed to be an amazing Gi Joe collection, complete, mint condition swivel arms with all the figures from 1982-1986, only to ever get some 40 figures with broken crotches, O-rings, thumbs and chewed and painted accessories.

2 paying to go see Bayformers

2. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

Best deal? A friend gave me Diakron red Sunstreaker for Christmas.

Worst rip off? My wife won an auction for a "complete" G1 Perceptor. It was anything BUT complete, but it gave me something to hunt for in the off seasons, and kept me busy til Generations came out this year.

3. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
    Lets see....

My best deal was definitely finding a Fortress Maximus on my country's local auction site and for a decent price aswell with what was included. Most of the time you can never quite find gem's like FM but they do come and go and I was just lucky enough to get him since I was looking to get him for years and now I finally have him. The same can be said for masterpiece prime, who I spent 5 years trying to obtain but I either never had the money or was just too unlucky at times but I have him aswell and he is the gem of my transformers collection along with FM

My ripped off experience......

I cannot count how many times where I have bought a figure only to realise that its selling at another store for much less and the store you bought from doesnt allow returns.

4. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

my 35 dollar c8 condition ultra magnus that i bought about 15 years ago, when i first started buying transformers on line *hell it was the FIRST i bought online* lol

it was supposed to be c 8 or c 9, it came more as a c5 lol, tabs broken on the trailer, the cap is worn, and chipped everywhere, and the worst part was the FACE that was painted, some one painted the face lol *of the cab it self*

i felt ripped off until i bought that ultra magnus cab at good will for a dollar awhile after *5 years maybe?*

tight joints, wonderful chrome, probably never played with lol. no stickers though.

but now the trailer *which other then having two broken tabs* IS a really nice trailer, it was just that CAB that sucked :lol 

5. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    hmmm

best deal:

someone on these boards gave me a G1 Countdown. Complete and everything!
    <3

got ripped off:

havent really been ripped off in a loooooooong time.
    When i very first started getting back into collecting many years ago i made one of my first online purchases from somebody. I bought a G1 smokescreen [this was well before the reissue as well] and the guy never sent the toy to me. after the money went through i never heard back from the guy and never got the toy

i was a sad panda :\

6. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ouch, that had to hurt

7. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Best Deal...probably kind of a tossup. 1) Complete, C8-C9 Fort Max, complete with techs, instructions, and foam for $420. 2) Pristine and complete (aside from very mild sticker wear) G1 Mirage, Sunstreaker, and Wheeljack for $35 a piece. 3) BotCon 98 Antagony for $250, unopened. 4) BotCon 97 Fractyl and Packrat for $250, mint and complete with a very lovely box and the comic. I got a terrific deal on that and some other items from the board member who sold them last year at BotCon, and am still very grateful to him for the last BotCon figures I didn't have (aside from Breakdown, which I don't expect to ever happen).

Biggest ripoff would probably be back when the reissues were still a new thing, in the early 2000s. I bid on and won the convention exclusive set of the three conehead reissues. I never got them, the seller just disappeared.

8. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

BIggest rip off for me was that stupid TFTM Swindle mold. I got the Camshaft deco of it and it is such a bad figure that normal retail feels like a ripoff.

9. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

Best deal was maybe two AFA 90s I picked up. Was looking to complete my TFC collection (which I have since done), and needed the Minibots and the Insecticons. This is when they were selling for $150-$200 easily. Found two auctions where a guy was selling AFA 90 versions of them at a starting price of $99. So I put a $100 bid on them just for fun, and a week later I get notification that I won both of them.

Biggest ripoff just occurred two months ago. Won an auction for a MISB Japanese Pretender, Cloudraker I believe. Box was in great shape too. Nobody bid and I won at the starting bid of $39. Smoking deal!

Not having received the item for two weeks, I ask him where it is. He says he forgot to ship the item because he had so many other auctions going on. OK, sure why not, so I give him some more time. I keep pressing him for tracking #, he never tells me. Eventually I ask him to tell the truth and admit he's not going to send it. He never admits it, just refunds my money and says 'sorry for the hassle.' I hope you enjoy the negative feedback!

I love Masterforce stuff, so I was disappointed :( 

10. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Best deal was getting classics sunstreaker and sideswipe at better than retail prices From an awesome member here.

worst, I dont want to say because it happened here as well.

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Best deal:
    Either the G1 Scorponok I got brand new as a kid for £5 (the store priced it up wrong, and my Mum is a genius at haggling), or the MIB Liokaiser giftset I got at Botcon a couple of years ago for $175.

Ripped off:
    BW Grimlock on eBay. Seller was a scammer; never arrived. Took ages to get a refund.

12. phelps

phelps Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Best Deal: My cousin giving me his beast wars and g1 figures loose but mint.

Worst deal: Having to sell my entire collection about 12 years ago for pennies on the dollar.

Best outcome of worst deal: being able to have cash handy for legal fees for adoption of my wife's second cousin. now trying to find everything I used to have at decent prices. Would do it again though

13. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    When I got back into Transformers, I traded my 99% complete G1 Trypticon, G1 Scorponok, G1 Grimlock and a few others G1 toys for a G1 Megatron reissue, MP Prime (Hasbro) and 1 or 2 Alternators. Another really bad deal is when I traded my metallic Jizaitoy Wheelie and Cyclonus for a bunch of prerelease toys (a bunch of movie scouts, Animated Wreck-Gar and 2 or 3 more, I can't remember).

Best deal was my complete Brave Max for 125 shipped I think. Or my free advance ROTF Jetfire, Optimus Prime, Long Haul and Wheelie (to even out the previous bad trade).