Best Console for SCV

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Tampalicious, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

I am trying to decide what system to get when I preorder SoulCaliburV. I thought this would be a great place for some general feedback.

My tv is only 720 so if that matters anyway, I am buying the system specifically for SCV. It is my favorite franchise. The next game would be FallofCybertron. I dont own any blurays. However, Im interested in them if I had a player. Not sure what Id buy for it, probably DOTM to see Sentinel look good. Is there a LOTR bluray or Macross Plus? 86 Formers? Id get those for sure.

Anyway, I also wont be downloading anymore, since the NWO is hijacking our rights online. Oh well. I deleted my youtube account, wont be torrenting, and as you can see Im not even using an avatar for this forum. What I refer to is I wont need much space so if I get a ps3 the smaller gig should be ok for a couple games right?

I had a 360, it was great graphics on my tv. Is the graphics the same on ps3? That would be a deal breaker. I can do without bluray if it means better game graphics.

Im hoping the ps3 controller will be easier on my carpal tunnel. I will be taking it easy with the game but its a must have. I'm bored out of my mind anyway.

I will be preordering from best buy to get dampierre so I can make a Jarlaxle. I'll be making an entreri to take on Ezio as well. (i know ezio isnt customizable but I'm makin my own assassin)

So what should I get if I decide to put this on the card? Any input is helpful thanks!

2. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If your TV is 32" or less than 720p is not a problem. I own a PS3 myself but from what I hear xbox controllers are better for hand fatigue than ps3 controllers. I've had a few call of duty sessions where my hands were very sore from the controller layout and how you hold it. PS3 probably has the superior graphics because it came out so much later than the 360.

3. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    PS3. It's a little more expensive, but then you don't have to worry about the x-Box red ring. Plus, with a PS3 you have Uncharted, which is worth thr price od admission alone.

4. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Best console for Soul Calibur V? I hope this thread doesn't devolve into a console war. o_O 
    (Also, this thread should probably be merged with the ongoing Soul Calibur V thread in this sub-forum.)

Anyway, with Soul Calibur V, I don't think a 720p TV will be an issue. If SC4 was any indication, the game won't run above 720p. (Can't confirm this point, however)

As for Blu-Rays, why yes, there is a Blu-Ray release of the '86 Transformers movie.

Small hard drive option on your console? If you don't see yourself downloading PSN/Xbox Live games much or uploading digital media to your console, it should be adequate.

Graphics superiority between the two systems? It's not that easy to say, actually. While the hardware inside the PS3 is generally superior to the 360, it really depends on how the game developers optimize it for their games. For example, Bayonetta was released on both platforms, but it looked horrid on the PS3. Because the game was optimized for the 360, and just hurriedly ported it to the PS3.

So how to choose between the two systems then? For me, it boiled down to:
    - Which console do my friends own? (So I can play online with them)
    - Which console has better misc features? (PS3 can play Blu-Rays, for one)
    - What existing console exclusives appeal to you? (Gears of War for 360, God of War for PS3, etc.)

P.S. - I wouldn't count on creating a character with Ezio's moves. Namco has never allowed guest character moves in Character Creation, and I don't expect them to start now.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  5. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Double post.

6. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I think it would boil down to 'online'.

Do you want to fite other people online (seeing as this is a fighting game) then the console with the best online would be my choice (which is 360)

If you're not bothered about online competition then the PS3 would probably look better, but not play any different.

Now... actual consoles themselves.

Weirdly in multiformat games 360 usually comes out on top. Graphics are generally on a par with PS3, but because developers have a better handle on 360 (its basically a PC) titles tend to be less buggy. (Ie, Skyrim).

On 1st party games, I believe PS3 has the edge, when you have a dedicated game for the PS3 only, they look fantastic.

Blu Ray playback on PS3 is a bonus, but apparently its one of the worst decoders on the market, but is 3D Blu Ray enabled. Go figure.

But seeing as the reason you're buying a console is for Soul Calibur, the main question you need to ask is am I going to partake in Online?

7. AMG

AMG Old School

I have both consoles and I don't buy fighting games for my Xbox 360. The PS3 is my go to consoles for fighters. The Xbox 360 controller is horrible for fighting games.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I played Street Fighter with the original 360 controller and that sucked harder than playing it on the SNES controller, which wasn't that bad.

The online experience for a game like SC isn't going to be better or worst on either system, because once you're in the game, and online, crossgame chat and the other LIVE perks won't matter.

Easiest advice. Get it where most of your friends are going to play. And get a fighting pad if you are going to play it on either console, but definitely on the 360. That actually hurt playing.

Nah. I own two Samsung BD players, and I use the PS3 for playback. Sounds better, for one, and the 3D plays better. That's old internet ranting. That's almost like saying that if he gets it on 360, it will burn out on him.

Man, it's crazy that there's a new SC game coming out. For me, it almost came outta nowhere. Supposedly SC1 is coming to the iPad this week too. Yeah, I know, touch controls, but I have played SF on my iPhone and I do alright with the controls.

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I wonder if the new pads with the 'transforming' D-pads are any better.
    The old original stock pad is horrible for fighters.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From what I read, they are. I really thought I wouldn't have trouble with the original controller, because I tore up SF on the SNES pad. That's where I learned. So when I tried it on the 360 controller, the thing that bugged me was how strange the bumpers felt, but then they triggers took too long to press. But the thing that really cramped my finger was the Dpad, and that’s because it’s rounded like the Saturn controller.

So I bought that SF controller. That fixed everything. The 360 controller is excellent for just about everything else. Just not fighting games.

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I think the 360 controllers feel so much better than the Sony ones.
    Would go with the 360, it feels like a more raw & direct gaming machine.
    The PS3 tries to be everything.

Both systems are great though, you can't really lose.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

hehehe. This is the home screen. ;) 

13. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

you can't say anything vaguely negative about the tripple when prowl is around :) 

14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    For 360?
    So you can play Street Fighter X Tekken then?

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, yes and no. That's what I was using when I played with you and Smang last year. But I don't own it anymore.

Sure, you can, baby-doll. When it's true. It's no different than if I said the 360 will die on you. The torches could come out. Except I wouldn't say that because it's not true anymore. The PS3 original controller isn't much better for fighting games either, but I can survive on it.

I was carrying a torch for the Wii U the other day, so my torch isn't only reserved for Sony.

16. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i heard you like gems bro

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  18. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

The transforming controllers suck. They break easily, the pad is only held on by a small post that can snap quickly. I've had two friends that lasted less than a month. Mine lasted a little over three months, just outside of the waranty.

I ended up modding a couple of stock controllers for me and my friends. I just ground down the ring around the dpad and makes it a lot better. It gives it a little more room to move and makes the directions more accurate and rolls easier.

19. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    It just occurred to me that I haven't contributed to the actual topic.

I find that Xbox Live has the most robust online community.
    In fact, we had tournaments for Street Fighter IV twice and there were only a few PS3 participants.

With that being said, you can't go wrong with either system, really.

PROFOUND SADNESS!

I think he's referring to this, but maybe he's respecting the fact that you're truly outrageous.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hahaha, I was wondering why he spelled Jem's name wrong!!

Speaking of which. I didn't want to start a topic on this, but I watched Real Steal last night and they had Xbox 720 logos all over the place. The movie takes place in 2013-2014. Think that's a huge hint?