Best comics for new reader?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by lordsmurf, Aug 10, 2016.

1. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

I want to read some IDW comics, but I'm not sure where to start.

Collecting MP/3P makes me want stories, beyond just re-watching the old G1 cartoon.

I've been a fan since before the toon came out, after seeing the Diaclones in the 1984(83?) Sears catalog. I collected G1 toys in the 80s-90s, stopped for while, added more in the 2000s (reissues, KOs), and then starting on MP/3P a few years ago.

I read the Marvel comics in the 80s (90s?), and added the UK issues in the 2000s (issues, JPEG scans). I got the UK TPB last year. I read the Dreamwave comics in the early 2000s. I mostly enjoyed the Marvel stories, but not so much the DW stories.

I prefer TPB, not separate issues.

Where to start? :confused: 

2. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

What style of story are you looking for?

Most people will recommend the beginning of the 'Two Ongoings' era, with More Than Meets The Eye and Robots in Disguise. One is about adventures in space, which alternates between fun with quirky characters (most of them new, but with Hot Rod/Rodimus and Ultra Magnus in command) and some heavy character moments and drama. Robots in Disguise is cybertronian politics starring Bumblebee, Prowl, and Starscream.

Not the most classic of lineups (Optimus Prime only appears in separate asides every few issues of RiD, separate from the rest of the cast), but they're quite good comics, especially MtMtE.

3. DanC

DanC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd say pick up "Last Stand of the Wreckers." It's self-contained, but if you like it, good news, MTMTE is by one of the co-writers.

4. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

If you don't want to go back too far, a good place to start would be "Last Stand of the Wreckers" and start reading the ongoing's from "Dark Cybertron" and up.

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I would not read anything from before Chaos Theory. From Chaos Theory on, almost everything is at least pretty good, and is sometimes great. But the vast majority of everything before Chaos Theory is pretty bad, often complete garbage.

So, Chaos Theory, followed by Death of Optimus Prime, then the current ongoings, would be my recommendation.

If you liked the Marvel stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if you also enjoy the current stuff.

6. kgorman79

kgorman79 Trapped In Polyhex

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I'd recommend LSOTW too. It's nicely self contained but if you like it, it ties into a lot of stuff that comes later.

7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    LSotW is a good test. Because if you read it and don't think it's ridiculously overrated and mostly pointless, there is a great chance you will love all of IDW continuity to death.

8. kyPRIME

kyPRIME Banned

YouTube:
    i am so sick of people recommending LSOTW to people, it's NOT THAT GOOD, it's the most overrated comic i've seen in my life, i was falling asleep while i was reading it,

for new readers this is the best course:

TF: Autocracy, Monstrosity, Primacy - it's a trilogy
    after that start with MTMTE volume 1-5 & RID volume 1-5 or if you want more recent stuff skip to Dark Cybertron and continue from there with MTMTE volumes 5-9 and beyond, RID volumes 5-9 and beyond, Combiner Wars & Windblade

9. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    For a new reader and fan of G1:
    I'd recommend Transformers Regeneration 1 and All Hail Megatron.

All Hail Megatron has great art and uses many MP type characters.

Transformers Regeneration 1 has a retro feel and continues the Marvel run of comics. It has classic and definitive fights between Megatron and Optimus Prime, Soundwave and Blaster and the Dinobots. Second half art is better than the first half but the colours are gorgeous.

If you like quirky Sci-Fi stories, then follow the work of James Roberts. He currently write Transformers More Than Meets the Eye. Its getting a reboot in a few months after 55 issues or so.

10. DanC

DanC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personal taste aside, these aren't the way I'd go for a new reader who wants to get into IDW's current run. The Autocracy/etcs are in that world, but create continuity problems and don't really interact with the current plots. And Regeneration 1 is an entirely different continuity altogether.

Don't get me wrong, if you just want a comic to read on its own, take a look at what everyone's recommending, see what might be your speed. But if you're specifically looking at the current output from Roberts, Barber, and Scott, and saying to yourself, "This all looks good, but where to start," then yeah... LSotW, Chaos Theory, Death of Optimus Prime. The reason people recommend those is that they're short stories that are also pretty much the springboard for everything IDW's been publishing since.

11. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    True DanC, but the original poster wanted something with a G1 feel and MP's in it.

LSOTW is awesome, but with all new characters. Springer's the most well known figure in it. These IDW comics are good, but may not be the cup of tea the original poster is going for.

My recommendations aren't the best TF comics put out by IDW, but they are accessible, colourful and engaging.

I really liked the first couple runs of Simon Furman, although the story was very decompressed.

I'd say, looking at the current plate of offerings:
    Transformers - stars Optimus Prime on Earth,
    Transformers MTMTE/Lost Light - Hot Rod and Ultra Magnus in space on a quest
    Transformers Till all are One - Starscream and Windblade's political rule of Cybertron.

Pick a character you like and follow that series.

12. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Wait, you told them not to read LSOTW and then told them to read the prequel trilogy?

What did lordsmurf do to you to make you hate him so much?

13. kgorman79

kgorman79 Trapped In Polyhex

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I was thinking along those lines too :lol 

14. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    TF: Autocracy, Monstrosity, Primacy have pretty accessible characters and themes.
    Its a hard one to read though because of the art, and due to some inconsistency with the greater IDW stories. Fun, if you're into it and worth checking out.

15. kyPRIME

kyPRIME Banned

YouTube:
    think about it, someone wants to get back in the TF universe, you suggest them to read some obscure comic about the wreckers??? who cares?? that's for the hardcore, you don't start with that, makes no sense

what i said is logical, Autocracy trilogy shows the beginning, MTMTE & RID are the new after war age and they have a lot of flashbacks to what happened between Autocracy trilogy and after war

16. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    Seeing as the prequel trilogy consists of poorly written, terrible stories with crummy artwork and in general spit on IDW's continuity as a whole in favour of Dille's masturbatory self-referencing , mis-characterizations and flat dialogue I'd suggest that someone never reads them, let alone start with them. There are absolutely no flashbacks to what happened between the trilogy and the after war considering the trilogy flat-out does not fit into established continuity. Why would it be logical to start with a bad series of comics that doesn't properly fit into continuity in order to get a taste of what IDW has to offer? To skip the suspense: it wouldn't be.

LSOTW is a fantastic, self-contained story that requires no reading of the previous comics in order to enjoy and yet having read it is a requirement for any of the ongoing series except possibly Windblade. LSOTW is basically the perfect introduction to the IDW series and basically sets the tone of everything to come. If you don't like LSOTW, you're not going to like the rest of IDW.

For example, you tell him to read MTMTE and not LSTOW. In that case he won't know
    who Overlord (one of the series' main villains) is and why he's so dangerous and why he's strung up in the basement in the first place, he won't know why the secrets of Ununtrium is such a big deal, he won't know why Fortress Maximus is in a coma or why he's so traumatized upon waking up and he won't get the introduction of the thing that the entire season one finale revolves around. If he doesn't read LSOTW's prose stories he won't know why First Aid is so obsessed with faction symbols, he won't get the early introduction of Rung and, most importantly, he won't be introduced to Agent 113 who is central to a major plot twist and the resolution to a series-spanning mystery.

17. kyPRIME

kyPRIME Banned

YouTube:
    man, what if i told you.... that NOBODY gives a fuck about Overlord and the wreckers?

and, what if i told you, that Livio's art is my favourite? and what if i told you that the Autocracy trilogy is awesome? opinions ha? funny how they work

and please... in MTMTE there is practically 60% only throwbacks at what happened in the war with RID 20% throwback there is enough, the earth parts of the war are the worst thing about TF

18. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    Well, if you told me that Livio was your favourite artist I'd seriously question your tastes and if you told me that the Autocracy trilogy was awesome I could just flat-out say you're wrong. I'd also be confused if you told me that nobody cares about Overlord considering you told him to read MTMTE and he's kind of a big deal there. That's like saying "nobody cares about Jason Todd so don't read Death in the Family. You should read Under the Red Hood".

As for the your last paragraph... I literally don't know what you're trying to say.

19. DanC

DanC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Opinions are obviously opinions, but "LSotW is too boring, read the thrill-a-page story that is Autocracy" is, it's reasonably fair to say, a minority opinion.

20. kyPRIME

kyPRIME Banned

YouTube:
    Overlord is a big deal in MTMTE?
    ok man, Megs says Hi from his flower field while focusing dark matter lol