Best buy- getting worse?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seeker311, Mar 22, 2009.

1. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Any one starting to notice that especially since the moment Circuit city announced their closures, Best buy has gotten worse? Its harder to find certain movies, they dont have new releases on sale anymore; hell I went to target and found 8 movies that were cheaper there!

2. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Oh they'll get worse too. Now they can corner the market. No competition means they get to set prices any way they like.

But...if Wal-Mart has it's way, you'll see electronics of every type, and they'll start giving Best Buy a run for it's money.

Sooner or later (sooner, really) Wal-Mart will be the dominate force, even more so than it is now.

3. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I've been doing this for about 2 years now. I hardly ever go to Best Buy anymore.

4. Dark Ramjet

Dark Ramjet Waiting patiently

News Credits:
    Yeah best buy has lost it's appeal to me as well the one near me is overpriced in pretty much everything. I find much better deals either at Target or online but I do like to try things out in their new musical instruments area.

5. Beanshi

Beanshi 22nd Century Robocat

well in the CA area there's always the option of Fry's a hell of a lot more choices and cheaper prices theres.

6. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like Best Buy for their selection but use them as last resort because of price. I go there if I want instant gratification. Because most things can be had online cheaper, but if I want it now they are most likely to have it.

7. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Best Buy here has been shrinking for years. The shelves are shorter and spaced farther apart. And don't get me started on the dumb-dumbs that work there, but that's always been the case.

8. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Now if only Fry's would open up nationwide....

They're a division of Fred Meyer, aren't they? (Fred Meyer would be welcome here in the East as well. The more options to buy from, the better, I say.)

9. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never had any problems with the Best Buy in my hometown except one time I bought a 13 inch Samsung TV and the price was $119. When I went to the checkout, they rung up the TV for $149. I went to customer service and they found out I was right and they corrected it.

But as far as new releases on dvd, both Best Buy and Walmart used to have it on sale for $15 during the first week. Both of them don't do that anymore. I guess they were losing money.

10. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

Dumb-dumbs? Have you ever been to a Walmart? The sheer depth of the stupidity there is immeasurable. Walmart needs a word invented for how stupid they can get. Walmart blowing out the electronic stores and cornering the market cannot possibly be looked at as a good thing. Besides that, there are still some things you can get at Best Buys that you can't and probably never will get at a Walmart. I can only imagine....

• "Sorry sir, we can't stock 50000 of those parts at a time so we dont have them."
    • "Whatever we have on the shelves is what we have"
    • When will you get more of them? "I'm sorry sir, I dont know that, you'll just have to keep returning to see when we have them"

All that on top of the morons that can't use a calculator let alone know anything about computers and electronics.

Fuck that.

I hope my Best Buy stays for a long time, because unlike some of the bad stores some people evidently are running into, I've never had a problem with the service over there. My Walmart is so bad, I can't even begin to comprehend what a disaster that would be.

11. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IIRC, Best Buy let a lot of their highest paid employees go a while back, based on the fact that they were making too much in commission. So, their most effective sales people were let go so they could save a bit on payroll. No thanks. Right now, H.H. Gregg is at the top of my list.

12. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Funny. You're just now noticing Best Buys insane prices? They've been that way since they opened. Circuity City was always cheaper here.

13. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    H.H. Gregg? You ought to visit the one up in Huntsville, AL. That particular one is bunch of liars and they are very dishonest. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying every one of them is bad. The one where you live might be okay.

14. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I bought an HDTV at H.H. Gregg in Mentor, OH. They seemed to be quite honest and on the up and up. In fact, they even offered us the floor model of the unit we were looking at, so we could save an extra 27% (yes, 27 and not 25. Not sure why...but that's what the guy claimed.) but my Dad wanted one brand new, sealed in the box. (He made the right move.)

The only negative comments I have are:
    1.) They were quick to ask us what we needed, but once we actually needed something, they were nowhere to be found and when we finally found the guy, he was serving another customer when he was supposed to be in the process of helping us! (I've never had that happen before. It was an insult really.)

2.) Their cashier was slug slow. She took forever to look up the UPC code to make the sale work (it was $100.00 off, and she tried charging us full price.) then it was onto figuring out taxes because we're from PA and the sale was taking place in Ohio. (Yes, I'm 100& serious. No, she truly didn't understand that I'd be paying OH state sales tax, and not a penny of PA's.) Then once processed and checked out, she forgot to call for assistance to go get the TV from the shelving unit and have it loaded in the car. Which leads me to three...

3.) I had to go over to the shelf, pull the TV off the stand, throw it in a cart, take it out, and load it into the car myself. Halfway through, an employee said "Oh, do you need help?" I couldn't help myself and snarked a "no" back at him.

Those are major problems, I agree, but on the whole, the TV was an excellent price (and and excellent piece), when they did help they were extremely courteous, and the process overall took a little over an hour, 65 minutes to be exact (when BB and CC easily cost me 90 minutes of my life.)

If I had to do it all over again, I would.

15. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Never had much beef with Best Buy , but I only go when everyone else is out of something, or If I need some wires.

16. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I buy all my movies at BJ's Warehouse. They're usually much, much cheaper than any other location. I got the Dark Knight on Blu-Ray on release day for $21 (it was on sale for $26 and they sent out a $5 off coupon for TDK). Most catalog Blu-Ray's are between $15 - $19 there.

17. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    Competition breeds excellence. Without Circuit City - around here anyway - there is absolutely no competition for Best Buy save Target/Wal-Mart, which really isn't the same. We have a couple of Sears, but they are ridiculously expensive.

18. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Haven't noticed a change. I generally only buy games or the movies that a Target/Walmart wouldn't carry though.

19. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:

20. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

haven't noticed a change at my local best buys except for expanding their products and making the stores look better. went in to the home theater demo room and saw a new Samsung LED 55" tv that was 1.5 inches thick.
    badass stuff.
    as for people having bad luck with knowledgeable staff there, it happens, but at least it's not as bad as walmart. There were a lot of kids at the best buy that I used to work at, and a couple of them had more than enough trouble keeping up with product knowledge, especially since they were floaters and had to know pretty much the whole store's offerings. Typically the people that are dedicated to their departments know a lot more about what you'll be looking for.
    as for the commission thing, when I worked there a year ago, commissions had been gone for years. There are sales goals for each dept for the day, but then again every retail store does that. If they're offering you a a service plan or some extra cables, it's either because it's something you could really use, or because they want to keep the GM off their backs. Usually the latter. Point is, employees don't make money off of sales anymore. It's strictly hourly earnings, and seasonal bonuses from store profit.
    Also, don't buy wires/cables there. The markup is astronomical. like 2-300%. On my employee discount I could get a usb cable(6 ft) for around 2 bucks. it's marked as $33.99 on their website. I never quite understood that. Sure you have to make profits somewhere, but a price of around 14.99 would be way more reasonable, sell more units, and still make profit.
    just my three cents.