Customs: Best Brand and Type of paint to use?!?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by SupremeSancho, Aug 27, 2007.

1. SupremeSancho

SupremeSancho Member

This has probably been asked a million times already but i used the search and only go crappy answers. I want to do some customs like nemesis prime and try repaint the proto forms and just make some of my figures look better in robot mode, what brand and type of paint is suggested.

2. ShawnL7

ShawnL7 Old School Transfan

Tamiya or Model Masters

3. ShawnL7

ShawnL7 Old School Transfan

Tamiya or Model Masters

4. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    You will get different answers. Some like Testors Model Masters, others like Tamiya. Many praise acrylics, and some say enamels are the best.

Personally I use Tamiya Acrylics. They are easy for me to use, and I don't have to worry about thinning them too much.

5. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    You will get different answers. Some like Testors Model Masters, others like Tamiya. Many praise acrylics, and some say enamels are the best.

Personally I use Tamiya Acrylics. They are easy for me to use, and I don't have to worry about thinning them too much.

6. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Lotsa folks'll swear by Testors, but I've been told that those'll fade like there's no tomorrow. I haven't tried anything myself yet, but I've been told that Krylon is the way to go. If you don't want to spray onto a figure, you can always spray into a small receptacle and then brush it onto a figure.

I haven't really heard anything about Tamiya or enamels, so I can't say for sure.

7. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Lotsa folks'll swear by Testors, but I've been told that those'll fade like there's no tomorrow. I haven't tried anything myself yet, but I've been told that Krylon is the way to go. If you don't want to spray onto a figure, you can always spray into a small receptacle and then brush it onto a figure.

I haven't really heard anything about Tamiya or enamels, so I can't say for sure.

8. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Krylon paint?!?!
    how many cans do you have at your work station? hehe

I have roughly 80 testor colors... and hardly never use paint straight from the jar. I always tint or make custom colors. I would cry forever if I had to use krylon.

you do also realize, that testor (and many other companies) make a varnish/clear coat/ final coat which blocks UV and/or protects against fade, right!?!?

For me...it's testors enamels 100% of the way. they blend beautifully and dry slowly, allowing me to blend right on my firgure, also minimizing paint dry+build up. Enamels also amost never leave brush marks...which is very important when detailing figures.

9. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Krylon paint?!?!
    how many cans do you have at your work station? hehe

I have roughly 80 testor colors... and hardly never use paint straight from the jar. I always tint or make custom colors. I would cry forever if I had to use krylon.

you do also realize, that testor (and many other companies) make a varnish/clear coat/ final coat which blocks UV and/or protects against fade, right!?!?

For me...it's testors enamels 100% of the way. they blend beautifully and dry slowly, allowing me to blend right on my firgure, also minimizing paint dry+build up. Enamels also amost never leave brush marks...which is very important when detailing figures.

10. Thrasymachos

Thrasymachos energon cube

Personally, I like Citadel Colour and Privateer's P3 range. They are acryllic, and come in a range of colors and metallics. They mix easy and cover well.

11. Thrasymachos

Thrasymachos energon cube

Personally, I like Citadel Colour and Privateer's P3 range. They are acryllic, and come in a range of colors and metallics. They mix easy and cover well.

12. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally, I've used both Testors and Krylon for my customs. They seem to work good for me. The only suggestion that I have for Krylon is that you should use a primer first if it's a non-Fusion paint. I plan to try out their clear paint sin the future, though I've only ever seen a couple colors at my Walmart. Also, depending on what color you're starting with, and what color you want it to be in the end, RIT dye is supposed to be good. I plan to use it on my kitbash of Vector Prime in the future.

13. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally, I've used both Testors and Krylon for my customs. They seem to work good for me. The only suggestion that I have for Krylon is that you should use a primer first if it's a non-Fusion paint. I plan to try out their clear paint sin the future, though I've only ever seen a couple colors at my Walmart. Also, depending on what color you're starting with, and what color you want it to be in the end, RIT dye is supposed to be good. I plan to use it on my kitbash of Vector Prime in the future.

14. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I like Testors... It has what I need and gets the job done...

15. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I like Testors... It has what I need and gets the job done...

16. SupremeSancho

SupremeSancho Member

Thanks for all the replies guy. So I kind of get the hint that I should go with testors which sound good but should it be enamel or acrylic. If it helps, I am a very detailed oriented guy and love to look at every detail of a figure but I want to be able to transform and play without worry of havin to do touch ups or worry about fading. Thanks for all the help so far! Oh yeah Does anyone also know the kind of paint Hasbro uses on the figures in the first place?

17. SupremeSancho

SupremeSancho Member

Thanks for all the replies guy. So I kind of get the hint that I should go with testors which sound good but should it be enamel or acrylic. If it helps, I am a very detailed oriented guy and love to look at every detail of a figure but I want to be able to transform and play without worry of havin to do touch ups or worry about fading. Thanks for all the help so far! Oh yeah Does anyone also know the kind of paint Hasbro uses on the figures in the first place?

18. LiquiD

LiquiD Well-Known Member

couldn't help ya there, but testors acrylic is what i've used. i heard enamels have trouble sticking to plastic or something. i think jin uses alot of testors too and his stuff is pretty darned rockin. for spray i've only used krylon fuzion which worked great for me. and yeah, RIT dye for dying stuff, though i had some trouble finding it. i didn't realize it was a fabric dye, so it's in the laundry section.

19. LiquiD

LiquiD Well-Known Member

couldn't help ya there, but testors acrylic is what i've used. i heard enamels have trouble sticking to plastic or something. i think jin uses alot of testors too and his stuff is pretty darned rockin. for spray i've only used krylon fuzion which worked great for me. and yeah, RIT dye for dying stuff, though i had some trouble finding it. i didn't realize it was a fabric dye, so it's in the laundry section.

20. RunaR

RunaR Well-Known Member

I just bought what they had in the store. Most of the colors I have are Testors and I got Copper and Blue metalic from Tamiya. All are acrilics. They work great for me.