Best Beast Wars DVD Sets??????

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OhSlag!, Mar 29, 2010.

1. OhSlag!

OhSlag! Well-Known Member

I would like to finally have all of the Beast Wars Episodes on 'real' DVDs. From what I can tell from google and eBay, the best are the release from:

Rhino (Region 1):

Madman Entertainment (Region 4):

I am wondering which of these is the 'best'?
    Which have more/better special features?
    Are ther any content differences in the Madman set because it is an Australian release?
    Any other differences?

ps. i have a region-free dvd player so the region doesn't matter

2. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have the Rhino releases and they are perfect.

I never heard of Madman Entertainment.

3. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had a similar question but i'm searching for Beast wars 2/Neo. I've been searching for them elsewhere:confused2 

but they are not subtitled.

4. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Pointing out the obvious here, but some of your questions would have been answered if you'd read the text on the links you posted.

Quote from Madman's page:
    Quote from Rhino's site:
    - Season 1 includes: "collectible box includes 26 original, uncut episodes plus exclusive interviews with Beast Wars writers Larry DiTillio and Bob Forward. Packaging includes a 10-page booklet and sticker sheet."

- Season 2: "collectible box includes 13 original, uncut episodes from the second season. Bonus features include 3-D model tests and turnarounds."

- Season 3: Rhino's site does not mention the bonus content. So here's the info from TFWIKI.net:
    By comparison, Madman's bonus content kick's Rhino's arse many times over. Rhino in general never really bothered to produce much bonus content for any of their Transformers products. But they certainly took the time to "enhance" the audio (i.e. "totally remove the original audio and screw it up big time") for their G1 releases, because they knew the fans would appreciate that so much. :rolleyes2 

Someone else will have to answer your other comparison questions as I have not seen the Madman release.

5. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have the Rhino sets, and they're good enough for me.

6. OhSlag!

OhSlag! Well-Known Member

Anyone know if the same interviews and other content from the Rhino edition are included in the madman edition???

7. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    As I recall, no, the interviews on Madman's set are all new.

TFWiki.net's article on Madman Entertainment with a little info

Essentially, Madman's Beast Wars DVDs are, hands down, the best you can buy, so long as you have a region-free DVD player. They have the most content and because the format is PAL, the DVDs are in a slightly higher resolution than Rhino's because Mainframe was a PAL production house.

A few episodes in Season 1, a bunch in Seasons 2 and 3 have commentaries with Ben Yee, Larry DiTillio, Bob Forward and the former Mainframe's animators. Nemesis Part 2 also has Simon Furman's commentary.

There's a bonus commentary in the Season 3 set for "Beast Wars Part 1 and Part 2" with Garry Chalk, Alec Willows and Scott McNeill.

There's also pretty long interviews between Yee, DiTillio and Forward, as well as the voice actors and Furman, who finally puts to rest the belief that he doesn't like the G1 cartoon.

8. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

Rhino sucks because the intros where cut. I loved the full intros.

9. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Just on season 1 though, their season 2 and 3 intros were intact.

And yes it bugged the hell out of me that they cut the season 1 intro too lol.

I'd love a new Beast Wars box set with all the bonuses from both Rhino and Madman's releases and new stuff too!