Best articulated 6"+ G1 Animated-looking Megatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by blaynescott, Jul 9, 2011.

1. blaynescott

blaynescott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find out if there's a decent 6" tall (or larger) Megatron figure that has a G1-animated styling about it.

I took a look at the MP Megatron, and while it preserves the cool original toy's look/gun appearance, it's pretty far from what he looked like (body-wise) in the original TV series.

I'm hoping to do a custom project with a Megs to pair with either my MP convoy, a PP01/PP01E or Classics Prime - it depends on what exists (either Takara, Hasbro, or 3rd party) for Megatrons who don't have crazy-thin legs and bizarre hips. :) 

Thanks for your input everyone.
    -Blayne

2. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First things I thought of were the Mega SCF Megatron and the Revoltech Megatron, but I can't remember if they're 6" or smaller than that. And of course, they don't transform. But the Revoltech in particular is crazy articulated. Next in line might be Henkei Megatron. But honestly, G1 animated Megatron was a b*tch to translate into toy form from the get-go, and it never got easier.

3. blaynescott

Ebay:
    Wow, I didn't know about the Mega SCF series. Very cool. :)  I was looking into them, then found confusing pictures like this - some are slightly shorter than the Revoltechs (under 5") -- then according to pics like this, there's versions that are exactly the same - but larger. What are they called?

I'm trying to find the largest ones possible, and not TF that are GI Joe sized. :) 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  4. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The tall ones are the Mega SCF series that was only sold in Japan, and they only made Megatron, Optimus, Starscream, Rodimus, uh... I think Star Saber and maybe a couple others. The short ones are the PVC series and there are dozens of those, in anime colors as well as "clear" versions and "pewter" versions. The characters most well-known in America were sold here around 2003-2004 as the Heroes of Cybertron line.

So the two Megatrons in the first picture are the Mega SCF Megatron and one of the PVC Megatrons (there were several different versions in the PVC line). Mega SCF Megatron has knee, elbow, neck and shoulder articulation, whereas PVC Megatron only has neck and shoulders.

EDIT: Oh, and wrists, too. They both have wrist articulation.

EDIT 2: Come to think of it, Mega SCF Megatron might have waist articulation too.

EDIT 3: Oh, and his fusion cannon and mace are detachable. The Mega SCF series was known for coming with nice accessories. Megatron came with Laserbeak, a couple of different hands, and there was a metallic version that came with Buzzsaw. I think. (I'm doing all of this from memory, if you can't tell. OLD memory.)

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

MegaSCF's stand 4" in height, Revoltech's roughly 4 1/2".

Sounds like the OP either doesn't know about, or doesn't like Henkei/United Megatron. Because there's really little other option.

6. blaynescott

Ebay:
    Thanks for the info on the Mega SCF's everyone. The Classics - Henki - United Megatron (They all look realy similar to me, although United had some different mold pieces) -- look cool, but they really don't have an iconic Megatron look the way that some molds of Optimus do. (IMO)

On the topic of 6"+ scale Megatrons - is there any Tank-mode based version of Megs people would recommend?

7. QmTablit

Classics, Henkei, and United Megatron's are all the same mold. Just different paint decoes.

8. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Years ago there was a company making KOs of the PVC figures (blaynescott posted a pic of one) that were about 6" tall. The Megatron I have has his hand & not the mace. There is also Optimus Prime versions.

9. blaynescott

Ebay:
    Identification of Megatron statue?

Humm. Does anyone have links or key words I could try to find these 6" scale KOs? That's about the perfect size for me.

Also! Does anyone have information on what this statue of Megatron is, and how big?

Battle Damaged Megatron Figure | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I'd like to rearticulate it if it's at least 6" scale, as the sculpt is perfect for what I'm looking for.

Attached Files:

10. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's two versions. 6" and 12" with the former being a SDCC exclusive. They are both fairly expensive.

11. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

I don't own this figure, so I can't comment on quality or size, but it looks like it might fit what you're looking for:

Megatron (2008) - Decepticon - www.tfu.info

12. blaynescott

Ebay:
    Interesting. I might end up using that one in my custom Megatron figure project. I'll be picking up an iGear PP01E (Purple Evil Leader/Prime), which has that random Megatron head included. I'll try and find a body/parts that match that size, as I'd want to make a non-transforming Megatron. :) 

13. blaynescott

Ebay:
    Thanks for the info. :)  Do you know the exact name of that Statue? I tried keyword searching for it online, but just turned up other Megs polystone/porcelain statues.

As far as non-expensive statues go, how about this SDCC bust of G1 Megatron?:

[​IMG]
    http://www.cooltoyreview.com/SDCC09PA-DST-Megatron.asp

I'd love peoples input on how large this piece is compared to Classics Voyager-class pieces (i.e: Butterfly Megatron). Online info says it's 6" tall total, but I don't know what class of TFs it could match to size-wise.

Also, just discovered the Leader Class Animated Megatron:

Shinfellfromthesky: Top Ten Favourite Villains #9 Megatron

[​IMG]

Wow! It has a good alt. mode, nice articulation/joints (from what I remember of my other TFA figures), and swords. It looks about... 8-9" tall?

I might just pick this one up, and do a G1-ish repaint. :) 

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  14. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Where's the love for United Megatron? That's my personal favorite Megatron ever.

15. OCProwl

OCProwl Electrobot

News Credits:
    I was going to post a link to the wing mod for him so the OP could see what United Megs could really look like, but I can't find the mod thread. TJ can you link one of your pics in? (And how to do it?)

I don't have him yet but he's on my list, he looks great without the wings!

16. blaynescott

Ebay:
    I must admit, it does look like a Cool TF. I'd love a link to the wing-less Mod if anyone has it.

[​IMG]

Some disclosure: I'm aiming to gather some TFs that (stylistically) go with my MP-scale Prime / iGear Prime KO. That means alot of detail, some reference to the G1 design, and not too much 'tech' detailing. Also, the larger, the better. I'm aiming to have a few really large figures, rather than a ton of tiny ones.

I actually owned the Hasbro Classics megatron when it came out, and for some reason, its detailing left me cold - to me, the face needed more character - and less wings. ;) 

I like the Classics Optimus mold, but again - almost too techy. I'll be buying a double-shattered glass KO of that figure soon, as it works as a complely different character - just not Optimus Prime in my (childhood) minds-eye. :) 

Also, I do really like the War for Cybertron Megs, but just as an evil looking robot:

[​IMG]

Also, dark Energon Version:

[​IMG]

Also, found new shots of the Animated-TF:p rime Megatron. Sort of hybrid of the animated cartoon look, while keeping some cues from G1 and the Movie Megs. An interesting mix:

http://www.crave.com/marketplace/product/megatron-transformers-prime-prime-first-edition-1/gallery
    [​IMG]

Anyone seem shots comparing this to the Voyager-class Classics/United Megatron? I'm trying to gauge if I can do a headswap on this particular figure.

My bank accounts is probably cursing my renewed interest in Transformers, as I own too many figures from Customizing as it is. ^_^

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  17. QmTablit

That's what I'm saying. Whichever deco you prefer, that mold is Megatron.

18. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    [​IMG]

It's honestly a simple mod.

on his "butt", you'll see the area that's molded around the metal pegs where his wings can swing up and down to clip and unclip from his back when you want to turn him into gun mode. You just either dremel, melt, or slice slits down to the metal, and the metal ends can peg in and out of that, making them removable.

[​IMG]

19. OCProwl

OCProwl Electrobot

News Credits:
    ^^ Glorious!

20. blaynescott

Ebay:
    Indeed. :)  If I have the chance to pick up another of this figure (the United version, ideally) I'll be sure to do this.