best and worst pop music?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gregles, Aug 24, 2012.

1. gregles

gregles quintesson

please interpret the term pop music however you want. It was originally just shorthand for popular music but has arguably become a genre in itself. I understand admitting you like music which is considered pop music is sometimes harder and less credible than professing love for a smaller band but fess up who you love and hate who could be considered pop music

2. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    all pop music sucks...

All it is is a degree of what is most tolerable..

And don't get me started on this new fad of every song needing a rap section...

EDIT: ok 80s and some 90s stuff I like. I generally mean current pop music of the last 5-10 years. A few things are decent (Call me Maybe isn't too bad (It helps I love the Batman Maybe parody).

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  3. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

Call Me Maybe is the most tolerable.

4. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I unashamedly love Kylie Minogue and Lady Gaga. Madonna's older stuff (pre 2005) is really good, and I do have a soft spot for most naff pop music.

5. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I absolutely love One Direction and Justin Beiber.

6. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Best pop music is Michael Jackson and Roxette.

7. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only major pop artist I like is Katy Perry. There are a few individual songs I like from other pop singers, but not really any other acts where I like a lot of their material.

Most other pop music, I'm just generally apathetic about. Justin Bieber, One Direction, "Call Me Maybe", "Somebody I Used to Know" and whatever other song/artist everyone is complaining about this week are a little annoying, but I can't get that worked up about them. A couple of years from now, no one's even going to remember most/all of these acts anyway. That said...

...the currently popular verse/chorus/verse/chorus/rapper/chorus song structure is definitely getting annoying. Especially since, in some instances (eg - Katy Perry's "E.T.", that "Pay Phone" song), removing the rap section dramatically improves the song.

8. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

I know! I hate it when that Figaro character starts dropping rhymes right in the midst of Largo al factotum. And don't even get me started on that Major-General Stanley from the other show...

9. ironjazz

ironjazz Tie Fighter pilot

News Credits:
    The only pop songs I can stand are katy perrys songs and somebody that I used to know the least tolerable are nicki minaj,maroon 5 and call me maybe.

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Ke$ha is simultaneously best and worst pop music.

11. Yaujta

Yaujta De-Headmasterizator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My daughter likes some modern music on the local mix station, and I've become tolerant of some of it.
    Personally, I like Katy Perry the most. She has a mix of styles, with the non-(c)rap infused 'ET' being the best.
    Lady Gaga isn't as offensive to the senses as I thought she'd be. She's still a female Marilyn Manson, but not that bad.
    Black Eyed Peas are a fun group. "Let's Get Retarded" is my favorite.
    "Someone I Used to Know" is my personal radio favorite at the moment. It is different enough and actually reminds me in a way of some of the late 90's stuff that I really like hearing it.
    Adele is also a very talented singer, and "Set Fire to the Rain" is one of my favorites of hers.
    Of course, with the good, there's the bad. I'm not sure of some of the names, but as soon as I hear Maroon 5 or Bieber, I turn the channel and hope to god that the good station is playing Slipknot or Metallica.

Edit- Aernaroth reminded me of Ke$ha. I actually like her voice. The video with the unicorns and James VanDerDouche is hilarious.

12. gregles

gregles quintesson

Some artists I would definetly class as great pop like Michael Jackson, David Bowie, Prince, and Blondie. Some modern hit makers have one or two good songs like Lady Gaga and Rihanna.

As for rubbish anything featuring or by David Guetta needs to be erased from reality. Pretty much every piece of music Simon Cowell has had anything to do with has been a part of has been a rubbish novelty song or a bland cover, so lets be honest the guy has never had the ability to spot talent just point out when someone is not singing in tune or bullying and exploiting people with mental health issues

13. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 Some sort of artist

it all sucks plain and simpale

14. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    This and all rap/hip hop post 2000 also suck imho.

15. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    I put up with pretty much all of it. Aside from the songs that have random rap segments or are auto-tuned to death, I even like some of them. The only popular singer I haven't liked lately is Justin Beiber. Not because he's the current guy-to-hate, I just genuinely don't like his songs. Like a lot of people, I'd say Katy Perry is probably the one I'm the most okay with. I was even okay with Call Me Maybe until the world transformed it into an annoying meme.

16. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 RLRR LRLL News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    this

and this. to be honest, the only rap group i like is the Beastie Boys

17. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

"Modern music sucks" people crack me up.

Personally, I loved Lady Gaga's first album. It was fresh and very original. Her second album did nothing for me though, it sounded like she trying a little to hard to channel Madonna.

Speaking of Madonna, I very much enjoy her singles, never bothered to buy anything else.

Maroon 5 is pretty good, especially their first album.

I'll second Black Eyed Peas as a great pop act.

Finally, anyone who says rap music sucks has clearly never listened to The Goodie Mob/Cee-lo or Mos Def/Blackstar. And if so, you should ashamed of yourself.

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Katy Perry and Lady Gaga aren't half as is LMFAO (I like it mainly because my friend despises) and Call me maybe for the meme only.

the rest suck.

19. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 RLRR LRLL News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    i've listened to those artists and the "artists" that call themselves rappers *cough* lil wayne *cough* and rap still sucks IMO. Beastie Boys are the only ones that could rap and now they're all either old or dead (RIP MCA. you won't be forgotten) so rap itself is pretty much in "stasis lock" until another group that can at least come close to the Beastie Boys shines.

20. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    That's funny right there.

Personally I have no issues with pop music or any other type for that matter. I listen to what sounds good in my ear holes, be it Punk, Classical, Dub step or whatever shit is called nowadays. Sure I have opinions on what is good music and bad, but I am way past the immature attitudes that all rap is crap, country is for hicks and all pop music is worthless.