Customs: Best and Worst Paints?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I know that the most common paints used for customs are (in no particular order):

Testors
    Tamiya
    Citadel
    Games Workshop
    Krylon Fusion

What I am curious about are other paints that are equally as good that can be used as substitutes. Also, is there a list of paints to stay away from altogether?

I checked the tutorials forum, but didn't find anything pertaining to paint brands. My apologies if I somehow overlooked it.

Current Paint: Delta Ceramcoat is pretty good judging from my recent experience with it. I only bought gray and white for priming and color mixing/lightening purposes. The gray I've used thus far dries quickly, adheres to plastic very well, and the coverage is good even in thin coats. Definitely a cheap, yet effective alternative. I may be tempted to try some of the actual colors since my Testors supply is dwindling.

2. chlokai

chlokai Well-Known Member

I have been using games workshop since I started because they are the only ones available locally.............but I was wrong,

I found a tiny model shop that sells paint for half the price of games work shop, simply called minature paint, it is a lot thiner, so i don't have to water it down like i do with games workshop, I think it needs an extra coat becaus of how thin it is but I have found the end result very good, that being said I have only bought and tested 3 colours so far, but they have all been excellent standard,

So my opinion is to give everythig a chance, and remember what works for others might not work for you.

3. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    My paint set of choice is Vallejo. They have several ranges, the main two being Model Colour and Game Colour ranges. The basic paints are excellent. However, the inks are just OK and the metallics are not so great. I use Games Workshop inks and metallics.

4. luke4

luke4 crocon

testors, model masters and Tamiya

i dont like humbrol. u have to shake it for too long and the lid is kinda dumb. just my opinion.

5. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Whatever happened to Mr.Hobby?

6. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

I think he died of bloodloss when he got shot in the shoulder.

7. underwear-ninja

underwear-ninja Eats Gobots for breakfast

I prefer Testors just because of availability and price. Krylon Fusion is excellent for base coating.

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Delta Ceramcoat is pretty good judging from my recent experience with it. I only bought gray and white for priming and color mixing/lightening purposes. The gray I've used thus far dries quickly, adheres to plastic very well, and the coverage is good even in thin coats. Definitely a cheap, yet effective alternative. I may be tempted to try some of the actual colors since my Testors supply is dwindling.

9. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    After painting miniatures for about 13 years, I use Vallejo and Reaper Pro series exclusively. The Vallejo is really great for overall quality, but Reaper's brand is fast becoming my top choice. Besides being a tad bit cheaper, the colors have more pigment and stay workable longer.
    Can't stand GW paints. They dry too fast and the prices are silly. The only quality I found with these paints are the metallics. Some of the better ones out there, unfortunately.
    I have found that Vallejo's and Reaper's metallic base paints are excellent when mixed with other colors. The painted area gets a nice, non shiny sheen to it.

10. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is no one end all for paints. Keep your palette flexible for best results. I currently use Vallejo(Game and Model colors), Tamiya, and for inks I use Daler Rowney(They are the best, nuff said). But I have noticed that some colors preform better from other lines than others so mixing and matching are what I do a lot.

11. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not someone who does customs, but this thread caught my eye from the main menu because I have been wondering if there is a white paint out there that would be good for doing a few touch ups to paint chips on a G1 Ratchet?

12. Treadshot A1

Mr. Hobby, tamiya and...and...MR.HOBBY!

13. blacklion29

blacklion29 Merlion Gestalt

Ebay:
    I saw this touch-up paints for cars, if i can remember it right, the brand is like autospa. they also come in little bottles. Are they good for plastics?

14. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    OK, I have a tip that I see no one mentioning.

I live in an apt., therefore I really don't have room to airbrush anything. When I first started customizing, like everyone I was experimenting with paints. For TFs, I wanted to find a spray because it can really save time, especially on anything larger than a deluxe.

Of course, there's the ol' standby Krylon Fusion. It works really well, but, the color range can be disappointing if you need anything other than your basic palette.

Here's the deal: go to auto zone or any major car parts retailer. Most of them carry paint. What I use is called "Dupli-Color". It comes in an insane range of colors, and it is so perfect for TFs because, well, it's car paint. It adheres even better than Fusion.

You'll thank me later. Just go thin on the coats. I'm finishing a classics Ironhide with it right now. I'll post it soon. Wait till you see this rich, metallic finish.

15. Spurt Reynolds

Spurt Reynolds Puppet Show Justice!!

I use Citadel/Games Workshop paints mainly because it`s what i`m used too.
    It has to be said the range is far to big with far to many useless or derivative colours & the current inks are diabolical IMO.

Yep,have to agree they rule.The only other brand of ink i ever use is Magic color Magenta,best red ink i`ve ever found.

16. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    You guys all discuss this thread, and we'll solve this problem :thumb 

(paging ALPHAMAGNUS :) )

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  17. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What are these "inks" that we speak of?

18. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I've used Testors Acryl, Testors Enamel, Tamiya Acrylic, Tamiya Enamel, and Krylon Fusion on most of my customs. Back in the day when I painted up old Marvel figures (X-Men), I used some of the hobby/craft paints that Wal-Mart had (Apple Barrel and Folk Art). Lately, I've tried some of these paints on a few customs and they work pretty well and give a nice matte finish and a lightly rough texture. They look great on customs, but you definitely need to clearcoat it because it will scratch off if used or abused a lot. I'm sure most people wouldn't think of using these, but I've seen others who have tried them out on different things. They have a pretty wide assortment of colors and you can mix them to create your own shades. I also used some of these paints back in college while taking some painting courses--used some in my artwork (mostly the blacks and whites).

I also recently picked up a silver Painters pen by Elmer's that works great for small areas that you want to "chrome" without much hassle (tried the Silver Sharpie with some success before that, but it wipes off too easily--though you can use a clearcoat with it, I've heard--just not sure what it does to the "shine" on it).

Never tried the Games Workshop paints, but my local comic shop back in Florida had every color ever invented, I believe. I almost picked up a few for a custom, but waited since I wasn't anywhere near being done with the mods. I've heard nothing but great things about that paint though, so I'd say it's a good one to go with also.

19. Treadshot A1

I agree that Games workshop paints leave something to be desired. I mainly use them only when i can't find the colors in other brands. Only exceptions are Tin Bitz, Vermin Brown and Catachan Green.

I personally prefer Citadel's "Foundation" range. Works very well for coverage. I generally have a jar of Astromican Gray somewhere.

20. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Inks have a strong pigment concentration in a liquid medium. Think of it like adding a load of water to the paint, but with the colour being a lot stronger. You can then take a flat colour area, and brush on some ink. Because it is more liquid, it naturally falls into the grooves on a figure/model and adds shading. There are other uses for them, but this is the main one.

GW paint is actually very good, but the pot design has been a problem for ages, not matter how they change it, and they are a little pricey.