Best and worse "bundle pack" you have seen

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by exomega255, Oct 12, 2010.

1. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    With the recent news of the last few weeks release of Classics Roddy/Cyclonus 2-pack, the 3-pack of Challenge at Cybertron quickly became a not-so-good deal.

Both Roddy and Cyclonus are molds the public really wants, and the matrix is icing on the cake.

It got me thinking, however, that many times Hasbro seems to like to bundle "great molds" with crap molds just to sell the crap molds. And many of us do take the bait because the great mold was really cool. However, I think there are instances of bundle packs that have 2 awesome molds at a lower price, in which makes all fans rejoice. Can you think of any?

Can you think of some bad ones too?

I know a few of them would be

1. Classics UM + Skywarp
    2. Classics UM + OP

What about crap ones?

1. TRU Hoist + Mixmaster (everyone wants Hoist >.> no one really wants Mix...)

2. Target Arcee mold + Blazemaster mold (we all know very few likes Blazemaster, and Arcee mold isn't quite the greatest, don't even think that can drag Blazemaster back)

2. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sure I'll be alone in this, but my favorite was the Armada gold Optimus w/Jetfire pack. I think it was a K-Mark exclusive. I remember my mom bought it for my nephew for Christmas, and I was very jealous. I tracked one down a number of years later.

For worst, I'd have to say either the optimus 'Leader for the Ages' 2 pack or the ROTF leaders that threw a random Camshaft in the package.

3. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

For bad I would say the new one from Walmart with movie 1 Brawl. The yellow and other colours make the mold undesirable. It's the colours that make the mold. To me anyway. As for good I haven't the foggiest. Can't even recall the last two pack I purchased if ever.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Best: Any of the Classics/Universe 2-packs. The original Classics multi-packs were good ways of getting more than one figure at a time, and the Universe multi-packs had some awesome repaints (Ratbat in peticular was pretty cool).

Worst: Probably most, if not all, of the movie multi-packs (and some HFTD two-packs for that matter). I've yet to see a movie multi-pack that didn't have one figure that was crap, and very rarely was there another figure that justified the entire bundle. More often than not, the movie multi-packs seem more like an attempt to make the WORST sets of crappy toys and make money from it. Heck, Sideways has been in no less than 4 two-packs if I can recall (vs. Wheelie, vs. Pipes (Dropkick repaint), vs. Legends bike sisters, and vs. Ice Cream Twins) and then the "Nemesis" TRU set contained three figures: The Fallen (not-so-great figure), TF1 repainted Voyager Megatron (sucktastic), and G1-deco Movie Soundwave (somewhat sucktastic), and the price for the entire set saved hardly any money whatsoever. There's a set with a Recon Ironhide repaint that I want, but it comes with a "Battle damage" repaint of Bonecrusher (I already own him...from another movie two pack with Voyager Prime which I got for Christmas) that I have only minor interest in because I don't like the paint apps. Maybe I'll just call him "Crushboner" and leave it at that.

5. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

The Battle in Space two pack is up there for me (I bought the 3 pack with Galv and love it, but could've done without Galv). I'd put the Target Animated Megs vs. Optimus up there too.

I'd say almost any multipack on TRU shelves right now is crap... Gathering at Nemesis, Metallico Masters or whatever,.. garbage.

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Best: Unicron + Cybertron scout-class assortment. That was fantastic. Got the Chaos Bringer and Overdrive for like $30 when Unicron was on sale.

Worst: Probably those vomit-colored ROTF recolors they've got out now. Didn't they have a jolt out with like green tires or something?

7. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I would have to agree on the TRU packs right now.

I wanted Hoist, but not Mixmaster
    I wanted deluxe Bludgeon (that was an awesome mold), but not Whirl
    I wanted... ice cream... nvm... and I definitely don't want demolisher

I definitely did not even considered the 3-pack of Soundwave, Megs and Fallen.
    They have a new pack with Cannon Bee (crap next to BBBB), Ravage (decent), and Rampage I think...? meh

8. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

The Battle in Space pack coming out looks epic.

However, those horrible repaints out at Zeller's are the worst. Arcee with Tailwhip?

9. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Best: Remember Bat Primal and Gator Megs?

Worst: Damn near everything else. "banana" isn't camo, nor do we need another shit-colored Mudflap repaint, etc etc etc. TRU does a more ok job with them, but the prices and lack of sale ruin it.

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    the cannon bee and soundwave pack the only thing that kept it from warming shelves is it had the booklet that you could get no where else that you needed to get the mail away ravage.

11. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

In terms of inspiration, I'd have to say that set in particular is one of the more accurate multi-packs (because all of those characters were actually in one scene at the same time, can't say the same for some other sets like Starscream and Mudflap, who NEVER appeared at the same time in the desert). Also, it's got the mythical Red Rampage in it, so people may bite for it JUST to get a movie-accurate Rampage.

Frogot about that set, although they shelfwarmed HARD around here when that booklet mail-away became totally useless:lol  Still got 4 of those NEST Stickers, too...

12. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I absolutely loved the Ratbat and Springer 2-pack from Universe, my first of either of those molds and Ratbat was just fantastic.

Also really dug the Jetfire+Jetstorm 2-pack from Animated, God that set brings back some memories for me, and I just really dug it overall.

13. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    never got a chance at Ratbat/Springer, I did think Springer's mold was a good mold, but it doesn't seem much like him. Ratbat was cool.

I don't think I can possibly consider Jetfire and Jetstorm a two pack though :p 

14. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Eh..kinda, I mean it was 2 figures packed together for the price of one.

And IIRC Takara is doing a release of the twins separately as well as in the Safeguard pack.

Ooh and it came with a nifty comic.

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Best: Classic Camaro TF1 BB vs Barricade as afterwards i got it, never saw the Classic Camaro ever again at retail.

Hell i even love the Animated Battle Begins set as well. That BB Optimus Prime is my favourite version of Animated Prime. Megatron is bad, just unstanduable.

Worst: Almost any ROTF/HFTD Bundle pack. The Constant re-release of ROTF BB, Ice cream truck twins, Mudflap and Sideways annoys me to no end. :mad: 

16. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Best:The Blackout/Scorpioks (the Deluxe one and the PVC one) 2-pack,and Beachcomber vs. Deadlift 2-pack.

Worst:The Soundwave vs Bumblebee 2-pack is just ehhhh.

17. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    TRUs Masters of Metalikato pack is one of my favorites. I picked up three sets in all.

Its one of my favorites because the whirl in the set looks great. Its kind of a color reversal of G1 whirl's dark and light blues. As a homage to pre-Transformers "Ovelon Gazette" toy from Dorvack. The tail's marking of "N073A0" flipped upside down is even the "leet speak" way of spelling "Ovelon"

Bludgeon uses one of the best deluxe molds from the 2007 movie line Multiple ways to attach, store, and even combine the spring loaded blades make them near perfect accesories.

The colors are a muted jungle camo. So that was welcome over wreckages deco.

The fiction behind this pack is also interesting. Unlike most battle packs the bio is really compeling:

For the first time on Earth, two masters of the ultimate fighting art - Metallikato - face off in a battle to the very end. Wielding ancient blades, handed down through generations of warriors, AUTOBOT WHIRL and DECEPTICON BLUDGEON circle one another, every sensor alert for the slightest opening. Though they move slowly and deliberately now, once they strike, the battle will be far too fast for the human eye to see. It will be decided in a matter of microseconds by flashing blades powered by centuries of training.

And its followed up on in the nest global alliance bludgeon bio:

DECEPTICON BLUDGEON was nearly destroyed by a fight with the metallikato master AUTOBOT WHIRL. Forced to retreat and hide, he scanned a new vehicle mode and disappeared into the southeast Asian jungle.....

most other battle packs are'nt really bad. But there can be color schemes so shocking I need to keep them off my desk.
    I almost regret getting the recent chinese police yellow blue and white barricade that came in a target exclusive battle pack. The colors are a mess outside of vehicle mode.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  18. underwear-ninja

underwear-ninja Eats Gobots for breakfast

Best: The Pirate Moon two pack from Cybertron- with Downshift and Cannonball. Two great figures for their time, and the price was pretty good.

Worst: That's a tough call. I suppose a lot of the Robot Heroes packs from ROTF were pretty crappy- primarily Shanghai Shootout.

19. Cungitron

Cungitron Destroyer of Worlds

News Credits:
    Worst has to be the ROTF Sideways & Wheelie 2 pack.

Best. Hmm a lot tougher. I'm sure there's loads more but i'll say the Cybertron Prime & Wingsaber pack. Or Buster Prime n Jetfire.

20. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Animated did very well with the idea, the Target Animated Two Packs, Purple Shockwave and Activators Bumblebee, Sunstorm with Activators Ratchet, Jetfire and Jetstorm, and even The Battle Begins twopack.

Also, not to open too big a can of worms, but Botcon has had some decent box sets.