Best alts so far?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Insane Galvatron, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Normally I'm not a big fan of alternators versions of characters that were not cars in their original form. Grimlock, Shockwave, and Optimus Prime to name a few. So I wasn't all that excited about two former tapes turning into cars. I decided to get them anyway since they are new molds and I have atleast one of each mold. ( I don't have the three I mentioned, but I have their repaints Wheeljack, Meister, and NP Trailbreaker. )

Let's just say I was blown away. They are the best of the alt line so far. They aren't anywhere near as fiddly to line up in alt mode, the transformations are fun, and they don't feel like they will break if aren't too careful. It took 'em 20 + releases to get good at designing them, and it's at the end of the line. They'd be my favorites if I didn't have that 20 year old brain washing telling me these two characters shouldn't be cars.

2. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I dig Rumble and Ravage(ver2) but they arent my favorite. My favorites were Jazz,Tracks,Sideswipe,Smokescreen and Hound. I seem to really like the ones that were really close in look,design and transformation of their G1 counterparts.

3. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me, it is the Smokescreen, Bluestreak mould...that mould still impresses me to this day...maybe I'm easily pleased! LOL!

4. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Personally I dunno why there are people against the Grimlock as a car thing. I think he just looks so bad ass, and the bot mode looks close enough to the G1 toy. Personally I don't like the Wheeljack version of it as it just seems lazy to me. I know that's weird as I even like Rollbar and Ricochet (talk about lazy), but Wheeljack just seems to lack something, I wish they woulda made him a convertible.

5. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm in the process of packing up the collection for our move and while I was getting the Alts ready for the bin, I thought this to myself too. Smokescreen was my first Alt and the design is still one of the best Alts to date. I'm not saying that the other ones sucked, as IMHO there were no bad Alts. There were some WTF ones (Camshaft, Swerve, Rollbar, Ricochet... I'm looking at you guys), but these were WTF based on charater and not the Alt itself.

6. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    I kinda wish I'd seen Wheeljack locally; his headsculpt is just so aggressive.

My favorite Alt so far is still Smokescreen, followed closely by Jazz, but Mirage gets my vote for "best". With Smokescreen, honestly, it's the gun. It looks far more like the old Fairlady gun than any other Alt's weapon looked like their previous iterations', except maybe for Shockwave's gunhand.

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I know what you man...the great thing about the Smokescreen/Bluestreak/Prowl mold is that it seems is an update version of the original toys! That's what my original impression of alt/bt are..."supposingly high-end updates of G1"! Then HasTak gave us characters like Rollbar etc.

8. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I like the Hondas, Toyotas, Jeep and Viper molds the best. With the Honda, it should be obvious. I want to own a red S2000 one day, just like Overdrive.

9. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I like the subaru model the best. I can transform it without fear of a door popping off and pinging me in the eye. I like the head sculp as well!

10. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Skids mold. Not that I'm particularly enamored by his alt. mode, but as a toy, he probably makes the least compromises for both forms. Solid alt. mode, and the best poseability of any Alt by far. He's also got the best hand mold of the lot of them, looking much more natural in most poses than the other hand designs.

Aesthetically, Mirage is aces, but his chest set-up is really freaking annoying. Not solid at all. It's the only thing that's really holding him back.

11. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    my personal favorites are Mustang and Ram for posing, Corvette and Subaru for bot mode aesthetics, and GT for vehicle aesthetic. I dont have Rumble and Jaguar yet, hopefully next week, but I have all the others.

12. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

For me, I still think my favorite is the RSX Prowl and Camshaft Mold. With the leg swap, he is pretty darn good and the alt mode is pretty spot on, especially the blue BT.Unlike most other, the subaru mold is one of, if not my least favorite of the Alts. There is too much fiddling involved and I'm always paranoid of the roof snapping off when Im messing with it. I think the RX8 update of the transformation is much better and works a lot easier. That being said, I think my second favorite alt is still Shock(Laser)Blast(wave).

Ravage 2 and Rumble are nice, however rumble gives me a very "gobot" feel about his overly simplistic transformation. Ravage as well to some degree, however nowhere near as bad. They DO look awesome in both modes though! Ravage looks GREAT next to MP Megatron!

13. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    Mirage Ford GT is hands down my favorite. Then Meister/Shockblast RX8 comes in second.

14. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

For me, Camshaft is the best looking one. I really like its color and his car model.

15. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

Mirage/Ford Gt, for his aesthetics and posseability.

16. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I agree. I even like it more than Mirage and Tracks, who are #2 and 3 respectively.

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    personally I like the Mustang mold (particularly Grimlock since IMO Wheeljack's deco looks pretty tacky) best, followed by the Rx-8, Corvette and GT molds. The Subarus are great too. Personally Rumble and ravage just don't do it for me, especially Ravage. I've said it many times before, I totally love the fact they tried something new not having a real robot mode, but Ravage just looks like a junk heap grew animal parts.

18. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

I also like the ones that are close to their G1 counterparts. To me that was the point of the line. My favs are

Skids
    Tracks
    Meister
    Hound
    Mirage (the only exception, since he's very different from his G1 self)
    Overdrive ie Windcharger

19. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    I haven't gotten Rumble or Ravage yet but without a doubt, Mirage is the best of the line. Transformation is amazing. Car selection was perfect.

20. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I have to say that I do like them all, even the "off the wall" characters previously mentioned.
    They all have their good points and bad points, some are plagued by poseability probs, others have fitment issues.
    But hands down for me, it has to be Shockblast. I have never had any kind of an issue with this figure.
    Even his predecessor Jazz/Meister just doesn't look as cool as he does in either form....I mean look at this beauty:

(Photo's courtesy of Revlimiter)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This Alt has it all in either bot or car mode....thats why I say my vote is Shocky FTW!