Best Alternators model?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Paradigm-Shift Prime, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

I know this one has probably been done quite a while ago, but I've just been picking the alternators line up more recently as they've been going on sale.

And I needed to share how amazing I think the Mirage (/hotrod) model is!! Amazing looking in both car mode and robot! In car mode, he is dark but shiny, in robot mode the mirage-trademark lighter blue and white is revealed and he looks sleek, not clunky like some of the other alt robot modes.

And Dark Prime is really not that appealing to me. Prime I only find so-so and the single forceful click that snaps everything back into place when going from robot to vehicle mode drives me nuts and often fails to line him up proper, such that his doors and hood won't quite line up right.

[​IMG]

2. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You probably know this, but just to make sure, Mirage's engine seperates into two guns. And I agree, Mirage is the best.

3. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Mirage has the best vehicle mode for sure, and a damn good robot mode, but I'm not entirely sure his robot mode's my favorite. I'm not sure whose robot mode I like the most, it's pretty much a tie between Grimlock, Nemesis, and Tracks

4. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I guess I am the oddball here, my favorite model is Wheeljack. To me it just screams all levels of awesome.

5. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Yeah I know the engine separates. The weapons for alternators seem so dinky compared to the bots they come out of, so thus I've left mirage's together to give it a little bulk (though it does sort of look like he's shooting himself).

6. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    Best model to me is Mirage/Hot Rodimus. They both have great robot modes and vehicle modes. Only gripe I have is that they used ball joints for ankles meaning he's gonna have a hard time standing once they wear.

Second place would be Jazz/Laserwave (Shockblast) since that's the model where the Subaru transformation scheme was finally perfected. If the arms could only swivel laterally, it would be perfect.

Third place for me would be Windcharger/Decepticharge. Very sturdy model. If it had a few modifications to free up the articulation, I would have this climb up to the top. Plus, it's the only model that comes with a shield, which makes a lot of sense for a warrior to have so he can...you know...defend himself and survive some rather nasty shots.

Fourth place would be Grimlock/Wheeljack. I don't care for the hollow looking midsection and the damn elbows are ball joints, which is great for articulation in the short-term but not the long-term. I'm already have troubles getting them to hold poses.

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    My fav Alt. Mold is Grimlock, followed by Shockblast, Tracks, then Mirage.

8. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

Mirage is very great. I also like Prowl, Grimlock, and the Jeep molds a lot too.

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My favorite is definitely Jazz. Solid transformation, great articulation, and he just looks damn snazzy in pure white.

Mirage is a close second, but he loses a few points for the wobbly chest and back. Grimlock comes in third, followed by Prowl, then a tie between Ravage and Tracks.

10. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I think the Subarus and Mazda's are the best. Jeeps followed by Mustangs after that. That little Scion isn't so bad either.

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Tie. To many g1'ish characters messing up my judgement call. I still like Smokescreen, with the shoulder cannons

12. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like 'em all. Even the truck mode. Still think the Ram would have been better as Ironhide rather than Optimus, but it's still a nifty Transformer.

-Tony!

13. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    it's really hard for me to pick a fave, bu if pressed i'd go GT --> RX8 --> Subaru, but the Mustang S2000, Scion, Corvette and Jeep molds are really good too. i even like the Viper despite it's articulation issues.

Really the Ram is the only one i can't stand, just because the bot is so terribly awkwardly proportioned.

14. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the Jazz/Shockblast mold is my fav. No real downsides to either of 'em.

15. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    mirage's non locking chest panel is just too dodgy to make him the best despite the beautiful alt mode.

16. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mirage would be my pick for best Alt. mode. Best bot mode would have to go to Shockblast and Meister. Best overall would go to Prowl.

17. Paradigm-Shift Prime

By the way, anyone else have this problem and a way to help rectify it, I can't get my Prime back to the properly lined up vehicle mode at all right now.

18. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    wha-huh?

19. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

The chest definately costs Mirage some points in my book. I still give the prize to Meister/Laserwave as the epitome of what a TF toy can be. Streak/Smokescreen are only slightly inferior versions and get my number 2. After that, Wheeljack/Grimlock and Mirage are tied for 3rd as each is really well done but for a few nagging flaws. The back of the pack have to be Prime and Sideswipe/Dead End/Sunstreaker.

20. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ditto. Jazzmeister is my pick for winner.