Besides the obvious(Fort Max) What are the top 5 " holy grails" every collector needs

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by arneld048, Jan 23, 2011.

1. arneld048

arneld048 Well-Known Member

I was just looking at a few tfw fans collections and compared them to mine. I realized a few things....1: my collection is a speck of dirt compared to others and 2: everyone talks about their " holy grails".. so besides fort max.... what do you guys believe are the top 5 "holy grails" of transformers.

Thanks

Ps if this thread already exists I apologize...

EDIT: I totally understand what everyone has said so far.... let me make a little twist on the question then....

IF YOU HAD TO START OVER AND HAD ENOUGH MONEY TO START YOUR COLLECTION ON 5 TF WHAT WOULD THEY BE?

2. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends on whether you value toys for their rarity or their design. For the latter, recent figures like Wingblade Optimus Prime and BiS Cyclonus are holy grails in my collection, even though they're relatively easy to obtain.

3. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    First of ppl use the term Grail to much...I see stuff like " Oh I got my grail...its a Animated Rodimus " and so on.

a grail is imo a rare and expensiv item that few ppl/collectors get.

I have every grail item I need, what is the top 5 well that is personal taste.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    A holy grail in collecting is something personal. You can't list them as something universal. Everyone has a personal top five. A lot of people probably don't consider Fort Max a grail, for instance. A grail is whatever the individual really wants but has a hard time getting.

5. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Depends on your collection too. If someone collects, for example, AEC figures then a sealed Omega Sentinel or any of the myriad Japanese minicons might be. However to the non-AEC collector, that mightn't be anything more than an "oh, I've got this" sort of footnote.

For me, it's Deszaras and Black Zarak. And the god-damn ramps for Fort Max's arms :lol 

6. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fort Max certainly isn't on my list. I don't think I could actually list 5 discrete figure, it's more like 20 or so that phase in and out of my top 5.

7. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    My "grails" are just things I like -- rarity and whether others like them be damned. They are, in no particular order:
    * G1 Trypticon
    * City Commander and Ultra Magnus
    * Shattered Glass Optimus Prime
    * G1 Bludgeon
    * Cybertron/Galaxy Force Megatron

8. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I've never really thought about that,but for me it would have to be G1 figures.

9. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think there's a big difference between a top want list, and a grail. As the above poster stated, a grail is usually something on the rare side that is hard to get. If i say "I really want Darkmount", that's fine. Its a want. But to say, "Darkmount is my holy grail" is not really correct, as he's easily available and shelf warming. Some grails are rarer than others, I understand. In the A/E/C collectors circle, Omega Sentinel (and I think the ultra magnus) are both extremely hard to come by and among the rarest of that line.

There's nothing wrong with having a top want list. We all have them. But don't call a common figure a grail item.

10. arneld048

Wow that's true everyone has their own views of holy grails... so I edited my thread a bit

11. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Sweet, I agree with SPLIT_LIP on something other than TFAnimated.
    My top Grail at the moment is Dinoking.

12. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I thought the question was about what the collector needs:
    1) disposable income
    2) obsessive compulsive hording disorder
    3) attraction to primary colors or "shiny"
    4) some spacial reasoning ability
    5) active imagination

otherwise:
    MP Prime, MP Megatron, G1 Jetfire, G1 Trypticon and some fancy exclusive.

13. arneld048

I think tusko nailed it........ hahaha

14. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:

Ditto on this. But also, there will be times your grails will change as you acquire them. If you do, you will have "new" grails.

15. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Yet I just sold both for under $100 a piece. I can go find them (at non ripoff prices) in 5 minutes on multiple sites.

Grails are subjective sure but they have one thing in common. You just CAN'T get them. For instance. I have been trying to get a MISB c9 or better Dinoking giftset. I have never seen one for sale, EVER! I have had the opportunity to get several (2 or 3) under that condition of the past 3 years but lost each time to the tune of nearly $2000. Find me a mint one, find me a flawless diaclone police Sunstreaker, some original white headmasters before they were knocked off, the Japanese Dino Cassettes mint and complete. They just don't show up, and when they do its a war to acquire them.

16. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Okay well more seriously one of my grails was a G2 Bumblebee.

I just bought one for $2.
    He's shiny. And comes in a primary colour. And folds up nice for my collection space.

I don't really want anymore Transformers unless they are a deal/cheap as sin.

17. Manok

Manok Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of fort max so he isn't a grail to me.

18. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    My personal grails at the moment:

Shattered Glass Starscream
    G1 Starscream MISB
    Alternity Starscream

19. IceWilly

IceWilly Technobot

My grails won't ever change, and I have most of them at this point. My definition of grail is certainly a personal one. If you had to reacquire something over and over again if it was taken from you, broken, or lost. I would consider that a grail. Something that stands alone in your collection in your heart, and for good reason. Rarity and cost have no meaning to me, simply because I will buy what I want. It just so happens that I what I value is often different from what the market values. Good thing for me.

-G1 Computron: Always had a few of the figures loose as a kid. Always wanted the rest. My complete Computron is currently formed from my 2 original limbs, plus 3 separately purchased over time team members. The team means so much because it does include the originals that have seen so much play time, but yet now they are complete and together.

-G1 Fort Max: Not because he is big, not because he is expensive. My G1 tapes were always so worn out, but the rebirth episodes were always on their own tape, that was less worn out and fuzzy. I never had the first episode, but I had the last 2-3. I owned G1 Scopinok since I got it new for christmas. After that I always wanted Fort Max because I preferred autobots and I wanted to recreate the showdown at the end. I finally purchased him for myself when I graduated college and got my first job. He wasn't 100% complete or MIB, but he is awesome and is close to my heart.

-Highbrow: TV show character wasn't spectacular in character, but the toy was just so cool. Headmaster with two rotors and guns? You better believe it. I picked him up not long after I graduated, and still like him to this day. I got Brainstorm so he had a teammate, but haven't been able to motivate myself to buy hardhead and chromedome. I dislike their G1 toys.

-Masterpiece Optimus Prime: I have all of the MP molds, but at the time of Optimus (01 Takara), no one was assuming there were going to be more made. I pre-ordered that the moment it was available. The toy was perfect, size be damned. Perfect optimus likeness and transformation. He was on my desk or shelf or anything for a year at least. The other MP molds are okay, Grimlock being my second favorite, but Optimus will always be the king. If I had to have one transformer, that would be it.

-Classics/Generation/Universe etc:

All of these toys are grails to me, because they represent the transformers I would grab if I was running out of a burning building. They will be the toys I make sure are perfect. Perfect paint or I will repaint them, perfect weapons or I will make them, perfect articulation or I will kitbash them. Perfect mold or I will kitbash them. Years ago I decided that as an adult my hobby would have to have focus if it was to be meaningful. That focus is simply "as accurate as possible set of screen featured characters from the G1 US cartoon" So far the hasbro/takara releases are doing a good job of that. But wherever necessary I have picked up kitbashing to fill in those holes. So far it is going good, but they are all considered grails because I hole this set of toys above all other toys I own and will acquire. I would give up my entire RID/Armada/energon/universe toys for 1 deluxe toy that fills in a gap in this set if I had too, and in a heartbeat

20. Goshjosh95

Goshjosh95 Decepticon

News Credits:
    I like the revised question, since I really don't have any grails at this point (I have everything I really want, outside of new & upcoming releases). If I had to start my collection over from scratch, my first 5 targets would be:

(1) Beast Wars Telemocha SP-DX Megatron (ultra-class)... I like him even more than Metals Megs (sacrilege, I know).

(2) MP-04 Prime (although I'd settle for the 2nd version of PP-01 Faith leader if I was on a tight budget) :confused2 

(3) Botcon 08 SG Prime. I already dig the Classics Prime mold, and this version's color scheme & paint apps just put it over the top for me.

(4) Robot Masters RM-24 Reverse Convoy / Rebirth Megatron. I <3 this toy so much, I should go find a 2nd MISB version.

(5) G1 Devastator, Predaking or Bruticus... not sure which 'Con combiner I like best! :thumbs2:  Either that or start rebuilding a Classics Seeker collection (both Takara & Hasbro versions).