Customs: bend or cut and peice together

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Megatron31, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    making a styrene box that will act as a cap (4 inches by 2 inches and 1.5 inches tall) and my question is would it be better to heat form the styrene (.100mm thick) or to cut 5 separate parts and plastic cement them together?

i have heat formed abs plastic but never styrene but for larger shapes and abs feels less a lot more flimsy i think that is the work i want.

need your advice guys

2. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I'm no styrene master, but I think you're better off cutting and bonding. Styrene chemically fuses almost perfectly with model cement, and I've found that the heat-and-bend gig is a sloppy affair at best w/ styrene.

If there IS a good heat-forming technique for styrene, I'd love to learn about it myself!

3. Megatron31

Ebay:
    i was gonna use aluminum foil and a heat gun (low heat one) and try it. this is my first time also

i messed with some of the rod to see how it reacted to heat and with a lighter and it seemed to expand quite a bit

by plastic cement are talking about model glue or is something else and thanks for the help

4. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Yes, the standard model-cement that you see sold with the airplane/car models etc. is formulated to essentially melt-and-fuse Styrene (which is the same plastic type those kinds of models are made out of), so it forms a very very strong bond when used properly (though it's useless on just about any other material, so don't try to use it to glue your styrene pieces to a regular action figure or whatever...).

Styrene "fails" at relatively low temperatures, I've used the open-flame approach to pull strands of styrene to use as "cables" etc. in the past. However, because it fails completely pretty quickly, I've not had much luck with the heat-gun approach, in my experience it's curled UP and away from what I was trying to shape it against, but as I've said, I'm no master and there may be a technique that works.

5. Megatron31

Ebay:
    well i ended up cutting and glueing and never messed with trying to heat form