ben reilly reading...

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Lumpy, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    so, im interested in reading more of what he was in....any suggestions of stuff thats available in TPB's at the moment? i know theres a few BR fans here, so i figured they could enlighten me....

and avoid the ben is lame responses....thanks...

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I don't think any of the clone stuff has been collected in TPB form. It's possibly the single most maligned storyline in Spider-Man's history, and I don't think Marvel would want to risk putting out TPBs of it that might not sell very well.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

They should put out some Scarlet Spider tbp's :( 

4. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

The Revelations arc is collected in a TPB, though to my knowledge it is out of print (you can probably find it online with little hassle, though).

The Revelations story arc concludes the Clone Saga, kills off Ben Reilly and features Norman Osbourne's return from the dead. A pretty important story arc.

5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    But still really lame. Marvel hasn't done stuff that bad till recently.

6. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

Heh. Yeah, it wasn't so great.

It starts with Peter accepting he's the clone and being all "Yep, it sure is great bein' the clone! No worries! Yessirree!"

Then Ben Reilly disolves into sand.

"Oh...guess I'm the real one. Hey, that's cool, too."

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Ben Reilly is way cooler than the Spider Totem\The Other garbage.

8. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

You probably won't find any TPBs of the stuff but the individual issues shouldn't be hard to find. Go to a comic convention and you can probably score most issues for a buck each.

I'd recommend trying to find the Scarlet Spider "What If?" stories. The one where he kills Spidey is pretty good. And 101 Ways to End the Clone Saga is a great spoof comic in all it's horribleness.

9. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Web of Carnage was pretty good. Two words: Spider-carnage :D 

10. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Once your done catching your self up on the normal Marvel universe Ben Reilly, check out the Ulimate universe version of Ben. Its a nice twist that I don't think has played all the way out yet.

11. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Spider-Man the Lost Years. Best. Mini. EVER!

12. JD

JD Well-Known Member

The black dude's just a scientist. Or are you talking about Jessica Drew?

13. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

Personally, I liked SENSATIONAL SPIDER-MAN #0--a pretty good story of Ben starting out as Spider-Man (or as people would've thought back then, the "real" Peter going back to being Spider-Man). I don't believe it's ever been collected.

14. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Whose name is Ben Reilly that helped create Carnage. I just don't think his part has been completely played out in the Ultimate Universe.

15. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Ultimate Ben is lame. He's only a substitute character Bendis used for namesake alone. That could have been any guy but Bendis used ben to peak people's interest. For all I care, it could have been Alistar Smithe and have the same outcome.

16. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, you're basically not going to find any of these issues in TPB form. Better to just hunt down the individual issues. Here's what I'd suggest as essential Ben Reilly reading (IMO, of course):

- The Life of Reilly - An in-depth analysis of the plot, background and creation of the Clone Saga. Really long, but provides a lot of useful information about the stories, how/why everything went wrong and is an excellent glimpse into the state of comics in general in the 90s.

- Amazing Spider-Man #149 - The most important issue in the original 'clone' story and sets up everything that happened in the Clone Saga. First appearance of Ben Reilly. An original copy is likely to be expensive and difficult to find, but Marvel reprinted it during the Clone Saga.

- Spider-Man: The Lost Years miniseries - Details what Ben Reilly was up to between the events of "The Parker Legacy" (see below) and his reappearance in the Spider-Man titles. Also provides a lot of background on Kaine and Seward Trainer, who played major roles in the subsequent stories, and the backstory for the crimes Peter was arrested for in "Trial of Peter Parker". It's also one of the better-written bits of the Clone Saga.

- "Power and Responsibility/Birth of a Spider-Man" - Web of Spider-Man #117, Amazing Spider-Man #394, Spider-Man #51 and Spectacular Spider-Man #217. These are good for two reasons: First, the "Power and Responsibility" arc is the first meeting of Ben and Peter and the reintroduction of Ben to the Spider-Man universe (although Peter spends most of the time acting like a whiny, angst-ridden dick). Second, "Birth of a Spider-Man" provides more information on Ben Reilly's origin, bridging the gap between Amazing Spider-Man #149 and Lost Years.

- "The Exile Returns" - Web of Spider-Man #118 + 119, Spider-Man #52 + 53. The first Scarlet Spider story, in which Ben gives Venom a sound beating. The next two issues of Web of Spider-Man and Spider-Man are another four-part Scarlet Spider arc ("Web of Life") but, IMO, it's not as good.

- Amazing Spider-Man #400 - The death of Aunt May. In my opinion, one of the best Spider-Man stories ever told. No massive costumed supervillain fights, no convoluted clone nonsense, just a really touching story...made all the more tragic when it seemed Ben was the original and didn't get to be with May in her last moments. Retconning this story was a bigger mistake than anything Marvel did in the Clone Saga.

- "The Parker Legacy" - Amazing Spider-Man #400, Spider-Man #57, Spectacular Spider-Man #223. This is only the back-up story in each of those three books (the lead story in the latter two issues, IIRC, sucked), but fills in more gaps in Reilly's origin.

- "The Trial of Peter Parker" - Web of Spider-Man #126, Amazing Spider-Man #403, Spider-Man#60, Spectacular Spider-Man #226. The point where Marvel did the "Peter's the clone, Ben's the original" switch. Ties up a few plot points here and there as well. If you're masochistic, check out "Maximum Clonage" when ran in the subsequent issues of all four of the above titles (bookended by Alpha and Omega one-shots) for a taste of the Clone Saga at it's absolute worst.

Unfortunately, after this point, the story started to get pretty stagnant and just dragged on and on and on, so there wasn't a lot of good stuff. The early issues of Sensational Spider-Man were decent and all of the core titles (Amazing, Sensational, Spectacular, No Adjective) had a few one-shot stories that were alright. Sadly, Ben's solo adventures as Spider-Man don't last long before the story gets dragged into the Clone mess again.

"Web of Carnage" - Sensational Spider-Man #3, Amazing Spider-Man #410, Spider-Man #67 and Spectacular Spider-Man #233. Just ignore all the Clone nonsense going on in the background and enjoy the main story. Ben, who doesn't have that much experience with symbiotes is taken over by Carnage. Hilarity ensues.

What If #86 - Alternate reality story where Peter is dead/MIA and Ben just takes over his life, since everyone assumes he's Peter.

101 Ways to End the Clone Saga - Humorous story that deals with the Spider-Man writers brain-storming ways to bring the Clone Saga to an end. Includes some serious possibilities (Mephisto, time travel) and not-so serious ones (Ben just randomly degenerates, Ben gets stepped on by a Sentinel during the Onslaught crossover).

Spider-Man: Redemption mini-series - A sequel to "Lost Years" that ties up a few plot threads from that mini. Not quite as good, but still enjoyable and not cluttered with Clone Saga nonsense.

"Revelations" - Spectacular Spider-Man #240, Sensational Spider-Man #11, Amazing Spider-Man #418, Spider-Man#75. The end of the Clone Saga and Ben Reilly. Norman Osborn is revealed as the mastermind, multiple retcons are unveiled, Ben dies and the world is a darker, colder place.

17. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    thanks scantron....just recently ive got very excited about ben....i dont really understand why....maybe its the minimate i got....but now i wanna read more, and i want to get the spiderman classics figure too...but i may just wait and hope hasbro does a new ben reilly....that'd be cooler....and i was watching a lot of ben stuff on ebay, i should go check that....

EDIT: and i cant stand ultimate spiderman...i just think its horrible....the only arc ive enjoyed was the deadpool arc....ive read almost all of the other arcs as well...and its not that its different, its just some of the things bendis has chosen to do just irritate me, and i dont really like the art at all either....maybe someday he'll leave the book and itll get better....

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    That is a great read. Thanks for the link.