Ben 10... anyone else watch?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rattrap007, Apr 12, 2006.

1. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just recently started watching this show on Cartoon Network called Ben 10. Anyone else watch it?

Basically it is as follows:

Ben Tennyson is going on a summer long road trip with his grandfather. Also on the trip is his cousin Gwen. They don't like each other. Ben is about 10 or 11, Gwen is about 11 or 12.

Well on the first night of the trip they are camping out in the woods and Ben wanders off. He sees what he thinks is a shooting star, but it turns and heads straight towards him. It is a metal pod. It opens to reveal a watch like device. He reaches for it and it attaches to his wrist and won't come off. The Watch is an alien device that gives the wearer the ability to turn into 1 of 10 aliens for a limited time. The 10 forms are:

Fourarms - A giant 4 armed alien with great strength
    XLR8 - (pronounched accelerate) A superfast alien
    Wildmutt - a giant blind dog like alien with incredible sense of smell
    Grey Matter - tiny little 'grey' like alien that is super intellegent
    Heat Blast - A human tourch/hot spot type flame guy
    Ghostfreak - A ghostly apparitian that can move through walls
    Diamond Head - An diamond hard tough guy impervious to blasts
    Upgrade - techno alien that can cover a machine and control it. IE cover a motorbike and he becomes an enhanced version of the bike.
    Stinkfly - Giant bug like alien that can fly and shoot goo
    Ripjaws - Sea creature with strong jaws to bite things.

Basically Ben fights bad guys. It is tounge in cheek most of the time and makes little jokes. Sometimes the watch will not work right and other times time runs out right before Ben can finish what he needs. For example in one episode he is trying to fly back (as Stinkfly) to the RV but time runs out right before he can make it and lands in the canopy.

Overall it is a fun show that does not take itself too seriously..

2. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

I don't watch anything on Cartoon Network. I simply don't like any of the shows. Same with G4, Nickelodeon and many other stations I used to like.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I caught one episode of the show last week and it seems pretty fun. It probably won't be my favorite (that goes to TMNT right now) but it looks decent. From the episode I saw, it seems a little light for a show that appears to be taking a somewhat serial approach to the story. Is it usually a continuous plot, or is that just something they do occasionally?

Visually speaking, I think the art could stand a little more shading, as it looks a bit too flat for the kind of action they're trying to do. The animation is decent, but could stand a higher frame count.

4. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Haven't watched it yet but I have heard gd stuff about it...I hope I can check it out...but knowing the shows in my country...I highly doubt that's going to happen.

5. rattrap007

News Credits:
    The story line isn't completely continuous, but there is an ongoing story that is similar to Megas XLR where an evil alien leader wants the alien device to use himself.. Kinda like the Gloft wanted Megas.. So far that is only the plot of three episodes (non contiguous)..

6. flamepanther

Okay, looks like I just happened to see one of those episodes then. I guess that's why it seemed awful light :D 

I doubt I'll follow it too regularly, but it's probably something I'll tune in to once in awhile.

7. rattrap007

News Credits:
    watched the newest episode today..

Basically the evil main alien baddie has healed up (was somewhat blown up in the first ep and was in a regeneration pod). And he heads to earth himself.

Grandpa Max is told to be a plumber, yet little bits of knowledge point to him being more than a simple plumber. Such as knowing an old Chinese cure for a cold with bizare ingrediants. Well it was further proven as such in the latest episode. Seems like old Gramps is some sort of MIB guy. He knows the location of a secret base hidden near MT. Rushmore, Knows about Grillax (main alien baddie) and faced him before, etc.

Basically Ben takes on Grillax who is one major bad ass. Gramps takes Gwen and gets to a spot near Mt. Rushmore, presses a button and an elevator lowers then to a secet underground base. He then combs through the weapons till he pulls out a big ass cannon. He then takes the RV and turns its front into a bettering ram and rams through the hull of the main battle ship and rescues Ben. Then he has to go pilot the ship. Ben is clueless up to this point. Enjoyed the following exchange:

"Grandpa you know how to fly a spaceship?" - Ben
    "At this point nothing surprises me." - Gwen

Overall this series is a lot like Megas but with a little pipsqueek kid in charge of a powerful weapon, and not a 20 something gearhead. Steven Blum (Jamie from Megas) also provides a few voices for this series..

8. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

Ben 10 is a good show.

Every episode has sooo many homages to the legendary Jack Kirby (the style of some of the aliens and the design of the ships... and of course, a litle bit of Grandpa)

9. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Yup. Grandpa Max looks a little like Kirby, is part Uncle Ben, and part Agent K from MIB.

I picked up one. In one episode they go fishing on a lake with a sea monster. The Captain of the boats is Captain Shaw.. He talks and is in a lot of ways like Quint from Jaws.. who was played by Robert Shaw..

10. flamepanther

That's the exact episode I saw.

11. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Well it is the 13th episode so a good bit had happened..

12. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I caught an ep or so. Not bad but not a show I plan on keeping an eye out for. It just didn't grab me.