Ben 10: Alien Force (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Witwicky Camaro, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Did anybody watch this? I watched it, but I had to turn it down because we had compny over, so I'll have to rewatch again (without intteruptions). Anyhow, from what I remember, I was enjoying it.

The search for Grandpa Max subplot is rather iffy, and Kevin-11 Just switching sides and developing some kind of interest towards an older Gwen was just too sudden.

Ben's new Omnitrix is nice, but the new batch of new Aliens were kinda unimpressive in some ways, but their abilites were neat. Why they had to get rid of the established Aliens is beyond me (that and his transformation sequence is weird).

2. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Sad to see the old aliens go. Annoyed they cheaped out of the transformations (you don't actally see him transform? WTF?).

Other than that, I was mostly entertained. I like new Gwen's magic and there was some good lines.

Though seeing it's going to be scheduled against the totally awesome "Spectacular Spider-Man" and I'm only a casual Ben 10 fan anyway, I'm not going to catching it on a regular basis.

3. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i actually really enjoyed this episode.

i thought it was a pretty good for a "pilot".

also it sets up that subplot like you said.

it gives it a direction. plus the huge alien army thing at the end. lol

it is sad to see ben be voiced by some one new, but it makes sense.

i liked the episode, a lot though.

i'll be watching it every weekend right before transformers for sure now!

4. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Saw it, liked the new subplot and story concept, liked the way that it seemed like a more 'mature' show (they pretty much killed two people in the second episode) but I still have a few nitpicky things about it.

One, a big one actually, was the new, cheap ass transformation scenes. They're just poorly done all around and a big step back from the original ones. Second is how all of a sudden, Kevin see's Gwen and falls all love-sick good guy. Now I like the idea of him bein a good guy, but the whole 'secret crush on gwen' thing got old fast. Plus, what happened to all the alien power he seemingly absorbed permanently before? And as for the new aliens themselves, a few of em seem to be nothing more then old powers mixed and matched into new looks, which is cool when they end up as something original (the Dinosaur thing), it falls short when it's been done before.

Overall, I'll watch it when it's on, but I'm not gonna kill myself to find it. Just like the original show.

5. Ripclaw

Ripclaw DementedDino1

to all of you dishing on keven 11's crush on gwen

consider this

during regular ben 10 they were like 10

and in alien force they are in their teens

ITS HORMONES PEOPLE!!!!

anyway enough of that

lets all complain about the transformation sequences

or lack there of

6. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I watched it. I think the re-air must have skipped about 5 minutes or so of the episode because one minute Ben is without the omnitrix in Max's Rustbucket fighting an alien, he dives and hides then suddenly he and Gwen are in a school or something and the are fighting the Plummer.

Overall it was ok, but it awful compared to the original. The original was great because he was a kid and acted like one who was suddenly granted super powers. Now he is about 13-14ish and the novelty has worn off. No longer is he a kid with a device with a mind of it's own. He is a teen with one that actually works.

And losing the transformations for the same repetitive green microscope and X-ray sequence every time? That gets old real fast.

I may give it a few weeks, but I may end up passing.

7. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

The thing about Kevin is that anyone saw the episode where Ben had a son? Kevin apeared and he was pretty pissed with Ben. Plus he said he was stuck in the Null Void and only got out with his kids help. Unless it was an AU episode...

8. Brawlastator

Brawlastator it is our life - jon bovi

News Credits:
    He's probably going to go bad again.

(But not before Bom-Chicka Wah Wah with Gwen to make that kid from that episode. Someone call Fox News!)

9. General Magnus

Well, if that hapened wounld´t Ben Max or heck even Gwen now about the kid?lol

10. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

I thought the show was okay some parts like some of ya said did bother me, but I got use to it.

11. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was pretty balls. I catch Ben 10 in the morning sometimes at work and I thought it'd be interesting to see the original aliens grown up a bit but it seems that's not to be. And Kevin 11 is boring.

12. General Magnus

I miss Fourarms and Diamonhead. Those two where my favourite aliens. And you see them in their adult stages in the Future episodes.

13. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

...I liked Gwen with short hair better. :D 

The show wasnt that bad. The time jump was still just a bit jarring and Kevin's change to good guy also seemed all to quick.

14. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yea which leaves me to wonder, WILL he remain a good guy?

15. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

....That actually makes a lot of sense to me. Though I didn't find it quite as sudden as everyone else seems to.

16. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Episode 2: "Everybody Talks about the Weather"

Woops! I meant Episode 3: "Everybody Talks About the Weather"

I missed the showing on Saturday, but caught again today at 11:30am. I loved this episode; The reppearance of "Heatblast" -- in a sense -- was neat. Of course it turns out to be a half-alien kid with a Plumbers Badge which looks exactly like the old Omnitrix interface. And they actually showed a better transformation sequence for one of Ben's new aliens (Jetray), but it was they used the same one for Swampfire. Overall, the action sequences were awesome and there was a nice history lesson on Alien lineage in the Tennyson family, via Kevin-11.

Ben 10: Alien Force forms (Known)​

• Big Chill: An insect-like alien with the ability to pass through solid matter. He can also freeze objects, become invisible, and fly. His wings and antennae can "fold" up, giving him the appearance of a phantom.
    • Brainstorm: A genius crustacean with the ability to control electrical energy and project force fields through thought.
    • Chromastone: A crystal alien which can absorb and redirect energy (not unlike a prism), as well as being nearly invulnerable to harm.
    • Echo Echo (voiced by Dee Bradley Baker): A small white alien that is a living amplifier, able to scream at ultrasonic frequencies which also carry concussive force. He also has the ability to duplicate himself. He speaks in a slow, monotone voice and when he clones himself, all the clones say the same phrase repeatedly. He first appeared in "Ben 10 Returns".
    • Goop: A shape-shifting green blob that weighs 200 lbs. He can also stretch his limbs, and is able to regenerate.
    • Humongousaur (voiced by Dee Bradley Baker): A humanoid dinosaur alien with great strength and the ability to grow to up to 60ft in height. His strength increases as he grows, and his dinosaur features become more pronounced. His first appearance was in "Ben 10 Returns".
    • Jetray (voiced by Dee Bradley Baker): A manta ray-like alien capable of flying and swimming faster than the speed of sound. The stinger on his head can also pierce and poison, and he can fire neuroshock blasts from his eyes and tail. He first appears in "Everybody Talks About the Weather".
    • Spidermonkey: A six-limbed monkey-like alien with superhuman agility. He has the power to spin spiderwebs and stick to walls.
    • Swampfire (voiced by Dee Bradley Baker): A plant-like alien with a flame-patterned head. Swampfire has super strength, vast regenerative powers, the ability to control plant life, and the ability to shoot fire from his palms. His regenerative ability also allows him to tunnel underground and reform in another location. Swampfire is Ben's first transformation when the Omnitrix recalibrates itself in "Ben 10 Returns".
    • Alien X: An alien shown in silhouette. His real appearance is unknown, as are his powers.

17. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Ya know, i don't mind the whole him liking Gwen thing, it's just the fact that after seeing her one time he's ready to change his evil ways, profess his undieing love to her and risk life and limb to make her happy. It was just a complete 180 turn with no real reason other then "oooh, boobs!".

During the "Pop up Video" week where they had production notes and junk about the show randomly show up, one of them made note that the future in that episode was just one of many possibilities. So yea, it was a sort of AU episode. I guess they just wanted to show what an unlimited Omnitrix could do.

The show has potential, but it's certainly off to a slow start. But I do like how there's an overlying, season(possibly series) wide plot being set up.

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I finally got around to watch the show on my DVR.

First of all, I love it that the characters have matured and there is a respect for continuity.
    It is great to see that in a cartoon and other than the various shows of the DCAU, I don't really remember another American action cartoon doing it.

But, one of the cool things about the "future episodes" of Ben 10 (Ben 10,000, Ken 10) was seeing Ben's alien forms "grown up". Now he has matured and all of his old aliens are gone. We don't see Wildmutt with a tail or anything like that.
    I don't like it -I am all for new things, but they shouldn't have thrown out all of the old. Upgraded Omnitrx or not, their DNA patterns should still be accessible.

And, I really don't mind Kevin 11 falling for Gwen -it makes sense for Kevin. What I didn't like is the way Ben and Gwen just accepted him.
    In Alien Force he is treated as kind of like a Han Solo character -a rogue, but with a value system and a sense of honor. In the prior show Kevin was shown to be pretty much a sociopath. I was actually kind of surprised at how evil they showed the character to be in the original show.
    He clearly showed no regard for other people's lives.

I realize they showed a certain level of mistrust towards him, but not on the level one would show someone who repeatedly tried to kill them.

Another gripe is the Omnitrix itself. In Ben 10 when Ben had complete control of the Omnitrix he was able to take on Vilgax by himself. He could change from one alien to another without returning to human form and could use each one's abilities to their greatest effect.

In this show he seems to have control over the Omnitrix in that I haven't seen him choose one alien but turn into another, but he still does one alien form and then returns to human form.
    Why?

Also, I agree that the new transformation sequences are teh sux0rs.

19. Ripclaw

Ripclaw DementedDino1

i saw that ep where it was in the future here in the US

20. General Magnus

Plus one of his main reasons to be pissed with Ben was because he was stuck being an monster. How did he got back to normal I don´t know.