Being fans of merchandise-driven franchises without buying the merchandise.

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by ComicGuy89, Feb 22, 2010.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sure many of us here don't have pockets that deep. Yet, we probably love many franchises that are merchandise-driven, Transformers being one of them. Other such franchises include: Star Wars, Star Trek, Power Rangers, He-man, GI Joe, Pokemon, Gundam and so on.

Sometimes you just need to set your priorities with regards as to what to collect and what not. So my question is, how do you guys deal with being fans of merchandise-driven franchises that you DON'T collect for? What are your thoughts about staying disciplined about what to collect and what not to? Can your fandom survive without merchandise?

Thanks, just curious about others' thoughts. I hope it's in the right forum, because toys are primarily the merchandise that comes to my mind.

2. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:
    im just completely flat broke after bills and buying for my core collection lines ,so its not hard to not buy stuff thats not in the lines i dont usually fully collect, especially with the rising prices. I mainly stick to DCUC and Marvel Legends right now, with a TF here and there. Im kinda glad Hasbro went to the 3 3/4" MU so i could focus on DCUC, which i actually started liking and buying from lack of Marvel product to begin with hah.

3. and2ng

and2ng Examples, Stupid!

News Credits:
    Not too difficult at all. I'm more of a fan of the Sentai, Kamen Rider and other tokusatsu TV shows. True, the mechandise for Sentai toys, Kamen Rider SH and Figuarts are nice and all, but watching their shows are enough for me.

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

It really doesn't hurt that most merchandise for franchises just plain suck. As much as I love Star Wars and Star Trek, I think their toys are generally terrible. Super hero movie merchandise, forget about it. 90% of it is crap.

5. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

smkspy speaks truth. Even if I'd been interested in the new Trek film, the toys looked like junk. The Star Wars figures inexcusably lack articulation. The Batman stuff for the Nolan films is awful (electric cape Batman? Really? REALLY?). I think it's only the Iron Man stuff in recent years that's appealed to me, and even then there's a limit to how many times I need the same figure in different colours.

6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I'm a pretty big fan of Digimon, but I own no merchandise. But that's because the older action figures weren't to my taste, and nobody'll release the damned series on DVD dubbed.

If the S.H. Figuarts Omegamon goes through, it's mine.

Yeah, my consumer habits don't really work that way at all. If there's a property that I really love, I'll be sorely tempted to buy any related merchandise that fits my tastes.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'm a fan of the Gundam shows, but I've not bought a figure or model kit in years for it.

I can't say the same about Code Geass, though I'm selling off some of the figures so that's kind of this process in reverse. Still love the series though.

8. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I didnt know you are into Digimon!!!

As for the topic question, I find that desptite so much cool stuff appearing in the Gundam anime I'm not that interesting in a lot of it. I am usually only attracted to the hero stuff so thats a lot of money saved.

9. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very interesting replies. I'm a fan of Star Wars and Superheroes, but I usually abstain from the toys. Not that they're not good (I actually like them quite a bit) but it's just not worth it to buy so many to make a scene.

What I like about Transformers is that each character stands on its own, and there's little compulsion (at least for me) to army build. However, in Star Wars for example, one can't have Darth Vader without 2 stormtroopers or a Luke for him to battle with.

10. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I'm somewhat of a fairweather fan of digimon - I watch the anime but I don't see myself spending a penny on anything related to the franchise.

As for Pokemon, I'll buy the mainline games, but as for plush dolls, plastic figurines, spinoff games, anime DVDs, forgetaboutit.

A lot of comics/movie franchises, I could see myself buying story media, but anything beyond that's unlikely.

Transformers is about the only property that I actively and intentionally buy product from.

11. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Well, I don't follow it religiously or anything, but I hold a good amount of nostalgia for it, especially Tamers, and especially the dub work.

12. smkspy

I would imagine Digimon has a fairly strong fanbase on this board considering it was a lead-in to/followed Beast Wars back in the Foxkids days.

13. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Oh i see. I havent watched much of the season 3 english dub thanks to the crap tv schedule here and them cutting series half way through etc etc. Did watch the first two relatively complete. I did find the music got tiring seeingh as they had the same music in each of the three saban dubs.

I have a few of the D-reals. Better accuracy than the digivolving figures but they didnt have too much articulation still. Shame. Worst case IMO is Omegamon who's upper/lower arms cant swivel so the 'heads' dont look right.

Didnt have satallite/cable back then :( .

14. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    Gurren Lagann, i would LOVE to get all the revoltechs, but i can't afford them

Haven't bought a gundam in years

15. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    F-yeah, I'd love to get some Gurren Lagann Revoltechs, but they're just so expensive (they'd drill a hole through my pocket and bank account) ...

Plus the fact that I don't buy stuff online, and there are no hobby shops that sell those kinds of toys in my area make it hard for me to collect anything like that.

TFs are my main collection, followed by a few of the new MMPR stuff and a few Gundams.

16. smkspy

In the states, it was on antenna tv. In late 98/99, I'd come back home to my apartment weekday afternoons from classes, get stoned, and watch both shows. Fun times.

17. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Although I don't ever remember watching Beast Wars after Digimon, I always watched that one on YTV (in Canada).

I look back on Tamers the mostly fondly because, first off, I found the savviness of its main characters refreshing. And then it's second half made a huge impression on me due to how shockingly mature it was, and moreso, how little it was actually censored in North America.

Chiaki J. Konaka needs to handle more kids' shows :p . Lets him keep his talking points, without getting too absolutely head-trippy (although I've enjoyed his other works just fine).

There's a pretty good quality TV rip of the dub floating out on the internet right now (although 3 episodes in the middle are of decidedly lower quality as Disney hasn't re-aired them for some reason). I wound up downloading the first four seasons recently out of a nostalgia kick. For some reason, I actually find the cheesy dub humour even funnier now.

18. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i know right? haha transformers is my main collection, with star wars on the side and the occasional gi joe and trying to get the new MMPR stuff.....i got TONS of the old gundam figures they use to sell when i was a kid (hell i got two of the seed ones).....hopefully they can manage to bring them back, bandai has been trying

19. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Actually, on second thought, I've never bought a Batman figure (well, I had an BtAS Man-Bat and a glider-pack Batman as a kid, but those were given to me for Christmas or something). DCUC's distribution is absolutely terrible in Canada, and I don't really like their lack of articulation compared to Marvel's offerings, either. And I don't really buy Marvel figures anymore, either, after they've pretty much dropped the 6" scale.

I will buy the videogames, though, if they're good. Still need to pick up Arkham Asylum...

20. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    As of right now, Busou Shinki is one of those lines I'm highly interested in checking out, but just don't have the income for it.