Beginning of Power Puff Girls Z

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gaokaiser, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Gaokaiser

Gaokaiser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    I said it before, and I'll say it again.

Powerpuff Girls - Genndy Tartakovsky + anime = CRAP.

3. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

4. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

Glad to see this finally started airing. I'd be interested to see it, and it would be really cool if it got released in the U.S. subtitled and with a dub with the cast of the American series. For some reason, that would be highly amusing to me.

5. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wheee, they have fingers!

6. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It like a car crash, it looks like a wreck but you can't help but watch XD

7. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    So, Powerpuff Girls *Z*...is this going to be like Dragonball Z? With lots of blood and people dying and slow moving plot threads and all?

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is Blossom's power the ability to make her hair stick up like that? And did they run out of fabric before getting the skirts completed?

Anyway, I watched through the opening, ending and henshin sequences and, damn...this is all different kinds of creepy. I can't fully articulate the problems I have with PPGZ in any logical fashion, it's just an overwhelming sense of foreboding and evil; a feeling that somewhere, somehow, something went horribly wrong. Maybe if they're trying to set this up as an anime parody (...although PPG was already an anime parody...), I could see that, but it just seems far too bizarre. This is almost certain to end up on Cartoon Network at some point though.

9. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Fixed it.

10. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Who's doing the subs? Can you let us know when they are up?

11. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Wtf!!!

12. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I have to say this

WTF

henshins are....seriusly that was just wrong

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Last time I checked, Craig McCracken created PPG. Tartakovsky was producer, and probably character designer, but I can't be bothered to look up the full credits. If he didn't create it, there's no reason he should have a monopoly on how it looks. That's like saying you can't have Macross without Haruhiko "Hal" Mikimoto--except that Macross was actually a good show to start with. As you can see from the thread, PPG already gave off an "anime" vibe to a lot of people, although it also resembles some American cartoons from the '50s. In that case, moving from quasi-anime/American hybrid to genuine anime shouldn't be that big of a deal in and of itself.

I'm not saying the show will be good, just that your equation doesn't work.

Powerpuff Girls - [doesn't matter] + [doesn't matter] = ???

That's about all we can say until we've watched it.

EDIT: I watched all three of the henshin sequences. From some of the comments I read, I was expecting some horribly blatant lolicon stuff, but this was comparatively tasteful. The changes are far less revealing than many (Sailor Moon, for instance), and don't especially spend time zooming in on "naughty bits". Basically they just do a little dance in a leotard and new clothes materialize. The music was pretty cool, and the animation was very good. Fun and fairly innocent.

14. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hehehe. Looks alright to me. (meaning: nothing worse that what's already on TV Tokyo)

Tho I know a few girls who are going to be begging for this to be brought over to CN. (which shouldn't be a big deal or suprise as CN owns the rights to PPG.)

15. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Tartakovsky directed a lot of the episodes in the first 2 or so seasons, regardless of creation, he was a big influence on a lot of stuff. I think the lack of both McCraken and Tartakovsky is taking away a huge part of what made the show so utterly brilliant in the first place. Just watch some of the more recent seasons to see what I mean.

16. flamepanther

You may be right, and I never said otherwise. That's the thing. You may be right. Or, it could be that despite changing the look, writers, directors, etc., they manage to maintain a lot of the spirit of the original. Or it could turn out to be something completely new and different that just happens to use the PPG brand and characters but is good in its own right. Until the fansubs come out and we've seen a few episode, we don't know. Unless McCracken is irate about it, which I doubt, I'm not going to judge the show before I see it. If people were fair or reasonable, they wouldn't either. Once they've actually sat down and watched it for a couple eps they can rightfully bitch about it all they want.

17. McBradders

Well, I for one will likely skip it thanks to it's generic anime look now. I also don't really beleive that the quirky pop-culture references that made the original show such a joy to watch will make the translation.

If it does, super, but I have my doubts. I'm sure the kids will go nuts for it though, because Anime > decent entertainment, right?

(Before you get irate I'm not slamming Anime, just the deluge of low quality shows/poor dubs of quality shows)

18. flamepanther

I would expect that the quirky pop-culture references were replaced in the Japanese dub with references more relevant to Japanese pop culture. Likewise, I expect that an English dub of PPG Z (which is inevitable) will replace Japanese references with American ones. A lot of English dubs do that already even when there weren't references there to begin with. I find Tartakovsky's art style rather barren and aesthetically displeasing, so replacing a style that I see all over Cartoon Network and dislike with one that I see all over Cartoon Network and dislike less isn't exactly a minus for me.

I never said it was unreasonable to doubt the show though. I was criticizing complete prejudgement of the show as "CRAP" without having seen any of it.

19. McBradders

Well this is the internet. The accuracy of hearsay with the excitement of typing!

20. flamepanther

The Internet is always a good vessel for irrationality and unreasonability, but never a good excuse :)