Beginner Motorcycles?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by matrixprime, Jun 29, 2011.

1. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was wanting to learn how to ride/drive a motorcycle. I'm looking into schools or places to learn in the area, but was wondering....what's a good crotch rocket type bike to start with? I've head the Kawasaki Ninja 650r Sport is a good one? Help?

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I've never been great with specifics, but a friend of mine found that riding a street legal dirtbike was a great way for him to learn, as he was not only able to practice in the field where he can't really crash into anything, but because it was also very similar to the pedal bikes that we grew up with.

3. Blurr ftw

Blurr ftw Quick draw

its just about balance when taking off other then that its easy and that bike is perfect for starters

4. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    Do yourself a favor, take your BRC before getting on the road with any bike.

5. PurdueAV2003

PurdueAV2003 Engineer

News Credits:
    Just don't do like this guy I used to work with did. He bought a brand new Harley Road King as his first bike (just because he could). Ended up laying it down about 2 weeks after he bought it. Needless to say, laying down a 800 lb bike, with no experience, did not end well for him. His leg was caught under the bike and he broke his ankle. With his injuries, as well as totaling a $20K bike, he decided to wait a while before he tried getting on a bike again.

6. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Any other recommendations? This is a big decision for me an I would like it to be an informed one.

7. Wheelie

Wheelie Riding on Grimlock!

Suzuki SV-650, that's what I started with. Great beginner bike.

8. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

9. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

A Suzuki GS500 is supposed to be a good bike to learn on, and not too expensive(for used 90s models) and it's one that i'm looking for myself.

10. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ....i was gonna start with a Used Hog....

11. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There is a place that sells them near where I live. Hell I would love to see a TF made from one of those.

12. Geekee1

Geekee1 Well-Known Member

There are some really nice 250's coming out now. The Honda CBR250R and the Kawasaki Ninja 250R would be good bikes to start out on. Not too much power, but enough to have a ton of fun on. Plus they're only about $4000 which is great when you're just starting.

First though, I would highly recommend the MSF safety course. I'm not sure how it is in your state but in PA you get two classroom sessions and two riding sessions. At the end of the course you take the real licensing test, and if you pass you get your license right there. It's a great course that teaches you how to ride right and safe. That's actually how I learned and got my license.

13. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ideally, you want one with under 500cc of displacement, just to get a handle on the ins and outs of operating a motorcycle. Only after about 2 or 3 years of good riding, should you move to 600 or more. I cannot stress enough the fact that you wear all your gear when you ride. Your helmet will save your life.

14. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I actually started out with a 2001 moped(looked like a motorcycle, I think it was a Cosmo Stinger?) then just upgraded to other bikes

15. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If learning to ride a bike is anything like cars I would recommend keeping your CC really low to start with. I get the feeling that anything over 500cc for a bike might be too much for a beginner to handle.

My first car had a 900cc engine, and it was perfect for getting more experience after getting my license.

Also, I would also second the idea of getting a second hand bike, nice and cheap, and while you're getting a couple of years under your belt saving up for a more powerful crotch rocket.

Getting the experience will save your life, jumping in at the deep end will be very dangerous. I have a friend who is a paramedic (EMT I think they're called in the US) and he calls motorbikes donorcycles.

Lastly, getting advice about biking from a toy board probably isn't the best way to go, are there any bikers meetups where you can just go to ask? Or online biker forums? Hell, go to a bike apparel shop, I'd bet all the people who work there are bikers and will have a ton of experience and advice.

16. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    Theyre marketing the 650r as starter bikes that are fun for experience riders. Got myself the er6 (650r naked version) to get back into the hobby recently n can confirm this (started riding mid 90s n have ridden various displacement (600 to 1200) n type (sports, standard, cruiser).

Suzukis sv650 is actually better recommended but the 650r will be great for a beginner: its got a big following, great after market range of products n its comparitively cheap to maintain n fix. Check out the kawi forums, friendly joint there.

Slap a couple'a slider/bungs, wear some gear n just have fun. Forget about dropping the bike because youll eventually will, even old heads fuck up sometimes. My reckless brothers been in spills where they gave him metal inserts in his shoulder n knee on 2 separate occassion but he always gets back on (ive been in 2 crashes myself). Because this shit is addictive.

P.s. Dont listen to tik abt getting a 2nd hand :lol  you dont know what that bikes been thru. 2nd hand car fails ur in the emergemcy lane waiting for mechanic. 2nd hand bike fails your in a ditch :lol 

Youd need an experience buyer/trusted dealer to tell u the 2nd hand bikes not been in any accidents (repairs easily concealed when it comes to bike with fairings). 250 is a good starting class but i myself started with a 750. As long as ur not apprehensive abt dropping a heavy/expensive bike, go for it. Onve u get used to shit the 250 will feel like a chump tho.

In regards to recommendation, besides the aforementioned sv650 (gladius) and 250 class (both honda n kawa has recent popular models):
    - honda has the 600 hornet. Honda makes premium jpn bikes but theyre expensive too. They have nifty 400 too but i think its harder to come by stateside.
    - yamaha has the xj600

Theres some european bikes (like ktm from instance) but ur better off sticking to jpn makes for now.

17. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

do what the other guys here have said, and take a safety course, and get a small displacement engine. that's what I did. the course was $250, and so worth it. the upside was that mine ended up being in the rain, so it got me automatically used to riding in bad weather. here's mine, an 09 ninja 250. paid $4000, and could easily get it back if I wanted to resell it. this is widely known as a great beginner bike, so you see used ones going for retail a year or two after they've been released. my local shop will also give you 90% of what you paid for the bike if you trade it in for a higher displacement engine, so you might find something like that where you live. I happen to like this bike a lot, and it will go fast enough (100mph) and still gets 60mpg that I don't feel like I need something with more power.

I also got frame sliders, which are those little pegs sticking out of the sides. it cost $125 for the pair, and do a lot to save the bike if you go down. this bike weighs only about 325 pounds with a full tank, so is pretty easy to pick up if you drop it. for the record, I have crashed once, at about 35 miles an hour, but was well protected, so I didn't get hurt too bad. invest in a good helmet, gloves, padded riding jacket, and footwear, and you'll live to ride another day. the less hurt you get, the less scared you'll be to ride again.

[​IMG]

18. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    LOL, yeah, ignore my bit about second hand...

19. Geekee1

Geekee1 Well-Known Member

And when you're in the market for gear check out motorcyclegear.com. I got a $230 mesh jacket from their for $109 shipped.

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits: