Before things get ugly

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by bradforj, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wanted to make a post presenting my position on a recent purchase from King Konvoy before things get ugly. I bought two Lucky Draw TFs for $1350 (plus sent him a Titanium Scourge and Classics Skywarp) on 12/22. On 12/30, I received the package via FedEx and it contained manila folders, some packing material, and cardboard pieces. No TFs. To say it was a nightmare would be an understatement.

I am always open to giving an established collector/seller the benefit of the doubt, and I calmly set about filing an insurance/rifling claim with FedEx. They completed their processing of the claim on 1/14 and issued a check for $122.23. That's right...only $122.23, as the package was not insured for the full amount.

I have filed a dispute of this transaction with my credit card company. I am only making this post in order to firmly establish my side of the story before I get accused of all sorts of foul things. Yes, I understand there is little proof that I did not just open it and say they were not in there, but FedEx did approve the claim, admitting the likelihood that the items were removed while in transit. My problem is that they were not fully insured, and I feel that should be the seller's problem...not mine.

All of this pains me even more because I have grown to like King Konvoy. It is a terrible mess. After also being defrauded by fragglerock in another trade, I am thinking of just halting all buying/trading on tfw so that I can enjoy the news and discussion without the added drama.

2. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I don't know you so I don't want to pass judgement on you here but, something isn't right here and i don't think it was from the seller's standpoint.

I don't know King Konvoy either. But, why would Fedex deliever an empty box? Did the package look like it had been tampered with? Before you start pointing fingers you need to look at how this makes YOU seem.

Right now it seems like you paid $1400 for TFs, removed them from the box when they were delivered, and fully intended to collect the insurance on them from the beginning, thus getting them for free. Now that you found out the insurance didn't cover it, you're trying to make it sound like you got swindled.<<<But, that's just how it looks on the surface.

3. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    King Konvoy has always shipped and sometimes in person delivered stuff on time. Public bashing is not the way to resolve this.

He's a man if his word. Not sure what happened but seems like there may be a bigger issue.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    GrimlockAutobot: So you don't want to pass judgement on him, and then you do EXACTLY that. Rrrrright.

bradforj, From what you've written it does sound like the items were stolen in transit. However....
    Why the HELL weren't they NOT fully insured?!?!? I recently sent a Botcon 06 box set to the US, and I made DAMN sure it was insured for the full value (in that case $850). Only a fool skimps on insurance on something this expensive.
    I take it you've already spoken to King Konvoy about this? If he had told you that the LDs would be sent fully insured, it's his fault. If you both agreed not to bother, then it's both your faults.
    Moral of this story: INSURE EVERYTHING FOR ITS FULL VALUE. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

5. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

I dunno but the fact that it was only insured for $122 seems shady to me in and of itself. Why come here if he was the one trying to get his $$ back? Not like any of us can do anything but thanks for the warning. This is why I try to always use Paypal and attempt to stay around $200. Big amounts is just asking for it imo. I already was ripped off for $500 on Ebay once, not a good feeling.

Why would someone open this up and steal it in transit? It's not like some crazed fan that is an employee is opening up boxes in the off chance there are lucky draw transformers in it and got lucky. It would just look like a toy to 99.99999% of the population.

How do people get Lucky Draws anyway??

6. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    My post was directed at the OP in the most diplomatic way possible......the snide remarks are not appreciated. I was simply trying to point out to the OP that before they air their dirty laundry, they need to realize the consequences.......which is this may make they themselves look bad along with the seller. Perhaps I was too specific on the reasons why they might make themselves look bad.

Either way, someone here was being naive. Was it the seller who didn't buy the correct amount of insurance? Who knows? Is it the buyer who may be assuming that everyone should believe a possible scam that they're trying to pull? Who knows? Or is it YOU who is automatically assuming that this one-sided story is the truth? Maybe.

7. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

Did you buy this on ebay & pay with paypal?

8. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Agreed, that is what it looks like on the surface atm. Though we should hear King Konvoy's side of the story to get a full idea of what's going on.

9. Baccala1976

Baccala1976 Well-Known Member

This.

I believe it should be the responability of the buyer to make sure that it is fully insured. For that muh money, I would want to make sure it is anyway.

10. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Every single time I ship something I fully insure it. Most people crossing international lines Bitch because they have to pay customs on that declared value so they cry and want it not declared. Canadians are notoriously bad about this as Canadian Customs nails everything with a declared value.

This package would have been subject to the Goods and Services Tax if it had a declared value of 5% which would have been 67ish dollars. So lots of people explicitly do not want any insurance or declared value because of it.

Most shippers (UPS/FEDEX) cover every package up to 100$, so it sounds like the package was uninsured/default insurance.

Cost for USPS: 1350$ = 15.05$
    Cost for UPS: 1350$ = 7$

You should be able to tell if the box was 'shipped empty' by the weight of the postage. Weigh the box Empty, see the declared weight fo the postage and see what the difference is. If the postage is for an empty box then it was shipped empty, if it had weight then the problem is obviously not with the shipper.

11. bradforj

News Credits:
    During our negotiations, here is what was said via PM:

"Originally Posted by KING KONVOY
    Make it $1425 and you got a deal. I'll package it tonight and ship tomorrow morning. Insured with a tracking number."

We decided on $1350 and some items in trade. It was my understanding that insurance would still be part of the deal.

12. bradforj

News Credits:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. People like you are the exact reason that I wanted to explain what has occurred before accusations start to fly. FedEx's issuance of a check for $122.23 should show their acceptance of fault. They did a full investigation...even came to my house and picked up the box for inspection. The failure to fully insure the package is what is in question, not my integrity.

13. Baccala1976

Baccala1976 Well-Known Member

I know this might be splitting hairs but You might have asked what type of insurance. He didn't say fully insured yet then again UPS and USPS all have some sort of default insuarance policy ($100 automatically).

The end result here is that it's probably both your faults for not specifying full insurance.

On a side note, I myself have had a few dealings with King Konvoy in person and he has always been legit. This probably is a very bad and expensive miscommunication.

14. bradforj

News Credits:
    When someone says insured, it means insured. There is nothing to misunderstand. Many of you seem eager to lay blame at my feet, but what did I do wrong? I paid my money, I sent the two items in trade, and I waited for my package with the understanding that it was insured. Why has no one supposed that the package was empty from the start, rather preferring to say that I took it? I have been around for a decade...it is only here that I became recently active. I was ATT and ATTM while many of you were sitting in kindergarten. My ebay feedback is over 3000. I am no newb, and I am no scammer. Those that want to think that, feel free! But many others know better.

15. Banshee

Banshee MvC2 online! woot!

Not stating ''fully insured'', or ''insured for 1400$'' is splitting hairs. When someone tells you your good is insured, you're not expecting an insurance of less than 10% of its value.

Good luck to both parties in resolving the issue. It's sad when trouble like this arises. Especially with unique and expensive pieces.

16. nkelsch

Because this is practically impossible to get away with. Check the postage of the package. It has the weight when shipped. You can't fake that. If the weight of an empty box is the same of the original shipping, Fedex knows this and will get on the original shipper. If the original shipping weight and the packaging weight don't mesh, then something happened in transit and they pay out the insurance.

We have a distribution center here and we deal with this stuff all the time. It is pretty simple and common to prove if the box was shipped empty or not.

That is not always something that will work to your advantage. Both in claiming anything from the ATT days and insulting the people you are trying to convince to have pity for you.

17. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    And you're eager to lay blame on King Konvoy, while for all any of us know it could have been something that neither one of you did. I think that nkelsch has a good point about the packaging weight. Doing that would definitely tell you if it was sent empty, or if it was something that happened after KK shipped it. I still think we should just wait and hear King Konvoy's side of the story.

18. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

What consequences? OP doesn't look bad to me in fact he seems to have all the information and proof. It doesn't matter if KK didn't package it OR if someone stole them from the box KK is respsonsible for not insuring it for the full amount, period..end of story.

It's the sellers responsibilty to take all the necessary steps to make sure the package gets there safely, not the buyer.

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    This does imply that you honestly believed that he would insure the items for their full value. So far I'm veering towards the responsibility laying with the seller; when you've just made over $1300, there's NO excuse for not paying that little extra to insure things fully.

20. nkelsch

Besides, 122$ is an odd number to pay out. It might have been fully insured and FedEx's investigation decided to cut down the value and contest the true value of the items. FedEx doesn't have to or always pay out the full value, so it depends on what their investigation found.

I did find this: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/delivery/fedex_ground_insurance.html
    And this: http://www.forumextractor.com/topic/937.html
    and this: http://www.my3cents.com/showReview.cgi?id=14075

There are a lot like these on the net. They seem to arbitrarily not acknowledge the value of some items, Like Antiques or collectibles. If you ship an antique table, you can only get the cost of a new ikea table, not the value of it being unique or old. Could be the same for TFs. Your 1400$ gold prime is worth no more than 9.99$ TRU prime by fedex's standard. Sounds like they gave 122$ = 100$ + cost of shipping.

I would think you could see on the postage and the tracking how much it cost and the cost and value of the item declared. 1500$ insurance wouldn't have been more than 20$. Looks like FedEx's insurance is snakeoil.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.