Before they were preds...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lumpy, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i was watching BW the other day, and with all this dawn of futures past stuff, i was wondering, what were the protoforms like before being converted into predacons? inferno i feel would be like g1 inferno, peaceful putting out fires, etc...then gets jacked into a deranged pyro...blackarachnia...harder to determine....some sorta stealthy spylikebot...thats all i got to...anyone else have ideas?

2. Quantum_Penguin

Quantum_Penguin Be seeing you...

Intresting idea, I've thought along those lines aswell. Specifically I imagined how the S1 protoforms would have ended up if their faction associations were reversed. I wrote up detailed alternate techspecs but I'd have to dig them out. I might post them tomorrow if I can find them. One interesting theme I found is that just about every case could work with similar plotlines to what we saw in the show, just with certain characters switching roles. Here's the jist of what I wrote about Blackarachinia and Inferno:

Blackarachnia's original function was an anthropologist and linguist, accounting for her decoding and mimicry abilities as well as her quick wit (it might also account for why she didn't blow away the anthropoid children in S3). She's pressed into service as a double agent, appearing to give the Predacons a numerical advantage but nullifying that through sabotage and security leaks. Since everyone's switched factions, that means that Silverbolt would end up a Predacon, opening the possibility for them to have a similar relationship as seen in the show but with the twist of either her turning Predacon in the end or his being redeemed.

I didn't write Inferno too much different from his canonical origin as he was a Predacon by choice because Tigatron blew up his pod. However, since everybody's switched factions, Tigatron was a Predacon, so Inferno saw them as enemies and was adopted into the Maximal "colony" instead. Of course Primal has to contend with being called "his Queen" and to deal with his hotheaded, belligerent nature.

3. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I am pretty sure that the majority of the protoforms in the show were not awakened prior to the BW. Protoforms are larvae-like Transformers, who have not reached conscious development in life yet. Or at least thats I've always understood it. A blank protoform recieves a spark from the All-Spark, or Vector Sigma, and eventually developes into a mature Transformer. Obviously, there are exceptions, as Protoform-X was obviously alive before the BW, but not long enough to recieve a proper name, apparently.

4. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yep, and there were the errors and misfires like the Fusors and Trans-Mutate. Even the Decepticons in RID came from corrupted Autobot protoforms.

5. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

That's something that I was always unclear on, were the protoform crew alive for the first time once they reached Earth or if they were in some kind of stasis for eaiser transport and had had privious lives on Cybertron? But I always assumed the former.

6. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, based on the Botcon comic this year, at least 2 of the protoforms had previous lives before the BW. Tigatron and Airazor are shown as a Cyb. security agent and a pilot (respectively). Shortly before the Axalon went after Megs and the Darksyde crew, the future cat and bird were chasing Megs as well and engaged the Darksyde, where they were severely injured. Apparently, their old bodies were too damaged to repair and they got put into protoform pods by Optimus and crew, somehow losing their memories in the process.

As for me, I always thought that the protoforms were both easy storage and new life, though there is a precedent in the TFU for storing older bots as well. In G1, personalities were encoded onto disks that could be downloaded to a suitable body (see creation of the Combaticons in the G1 Toon and the rebirth of Prime as a Powermaster in the US G1 comic).

7. Lumpy

News Credits:
    well, if they were all new, that would suck for optimus...imagine being an exploration crew, with a crew that barely gets along anyway, then youve got like 50 brand new transformers with you as well...its like babysitting...maybe primal did something bad before leaving cybertron....but i actually think they had lives beforehand...

8. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I always saw protoforms as more infants/frozen embryos, then previous Maximals. The purpose of the protoforms, to me is this:

The protoforms are a shapeless mass just given a spark or life. They are sealed up and put in stasis lock. They are preimprinted with basic knowledge. They are sealed up in a cargo hold so you can ship them in mass to a planet for exploration. Once on a planet you program them with the necessary task chip/disk. If it is a mostly barren rocky planet you'd need geologists. If it is covered with plants and animals, youd need biologist and zooologists. If it is all water, you'd need aquatic experts, etc. Once programmed with the needed disk, you set the pods to scan for life forms (if any) and release them for study. When the mission is finished the bots will enter the pods again and go into a stasis lock and sleep till the shuttle crew returns them to cybertron.

The reason we never saw the data disks used in BW is because Primal launched all the stasis pods. Thus when the pods crashed the protoforms were not experts in any particular field. They just had a basic general knowledge.

Some bots had their pods damaged in the crash which led to problems (Inferno was insane, Fuzors, Transmutate, etc). As far as name reusage, think of them as a common name on cybertron.

Predacons would also have their own protoforms. The only reason for it ending up the way it did was how BW started.

Megatron stole the golden disk and fled in a presumably stolen ship. That or he could not aquire protoforms. Optimus and crew were space explorers.. Scientists. They went after Megs because they were the closest ship to follow. They were presumably starting off on a mission when they had a change of plans. Look at the original maximal crew. All the bots have basic military training. That goes into all transformers.

Rattrap - demolitions expert. Needed for clearing debris and such.

Rhinox - Pilot and basic science knowledge.

Primal - Leader

Cheetor - green recruit. Only been on one or two missions. No specialty. He's the rookie.

Each had basic or slightly specialized skills to aid in setting up the protoform project for each planet.

9. Lumpy

News Credits:
    huh...that makes a ton of sense...very nice rattrap....very nice...