Been awhile, so... The Free Games Thread!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by flamepanther, Dec 22, 2006.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

There are some great free games out there, and they rarely get the attention they deserve. Let's round some of the best ones up in this thread! :) 

Freeware games:

Akuji the Demon - An RPG-like platform game for Windows, similar to a superdeformed Symphony of the Night. Originally in Japanese, but there's an English translation patch.
    Download from Acid-Play
    Download from Home of The Underdogs
    Download from Freeloader

Amanagi - A good horizontal sh'mup for Windows
    official site

Cho Ren Sha 68k - A hardcore vertical shooter for Windows that could've been straight from the arcade or the Sega Saturn!
    official site

Chromium BSU - A vertical shooter for Linux and Windows, where you can also damage enemies by crashing into them!
    Official site

Eternal Daughter - A platform RPG similar to CastleVania: Symphony of The Night. Very SNES-inspired. Highly recommended game for Windows.
    official site

GunViper - A vertical sh'mup for Windows with 3-D graphics
    official site

Highway Bowler - Play in the street and throw bombs at cars! Looks like a PS1 game, but it's for Windows.
    official site

Idinaloq - Probably the most impressive freeware sh'mup ever made, this vertically-scrolling shooter features 3-D graphics, character voiceovers, and anime FMV sequences. Sadly it only works on Windows 95, 98, and ME. NT and XP will not work correctly if at all.
    official site

Ikachan - An action RPG for Windows, in which you play a small squid :)  It's originally in Japanese, but has been translated into English.
    Download from Caiman Games
    Download from Independent Gaming
    Download from tinsanity.net

rRootage - A pure minimalist sh'mup, but guaranteed to be addictive to any shooter fan
    original Windows version
    Linux version
    Mac OS X version
    PSP version

Snok - It's like Nibbles or Snaker, but in a 3-D zero-gravity environment and with multiplayer. Windows only.
    official site

Technosylph -Vsys Gaiden- - An excellent Japanese sh'mup for Windows
    official site

Torus Trooper - I'd describe it as a cross between F-Zero and Tempest. Hit multiple enemies in one shot to gain more time in a race against the clock!
    official site (original Windows version)
    Mac OS X version

Formerly commercial games, now released as freeware:
    (If you want to post these, please be sure it is officially free. Also, no demos, thanks.)

Boppin' - A twisted puzzle game. Formerly for Amiga and DOS, now for Windows.
    Official site

Marathon Trilogy - Classic FPS trilogy for Macintosh and predecessor of Halo
    Fan site with legal downloads
    Aleph One An enhanced port of the Marathon 2/Marathon Infinity source code for Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux.

One Must Fall: 2097 - An excellent fighting game for DOS.
    Multiple download links are listed in the official FAQ for One Must Fall: Battlegrounds, the sequel to One Must Fall: 2097 (also check out the OMF:BG demo!)

Tyrian - Possibly my all-time favorite PC game. Vertical-scrolling shoot-'em-up with a huge array of findable and purchasable power-ups, weapons, and ships. It's a DOS game.
    Author's official site (bandwidth exceeded)
    Mirror
    Fan site with downloads

3D Realms has released several of the games from their old Apogee brand, and occasionally release more. I believe they're all for DOS:
    Beyond the Titanic
    Bio Menace
    Caves of Thor
    Major Stryker
    Puzzle Fun-Pak
    Stargunner
    Supernova
    Trivia Whiz
    Word Whiz
    Xenophage

HTML, Flash, and Java games:

Gamma Bros. - Think Galaga meets Robotron. Awesome oldschool-style arcade action.

The Kingdom of Loathing - A parody RPG in text and stick figures. Requires free registration.

Seventh Sky - A promising but unfinished sh'mup game done in Flash. Work in progress.

Cross-platform games that need a separate engine:

D3Mix series - DDR style dance games, requiring the StepMania engine to play. They can be combined into one larger game or mixed with other StepMania games. Unlike most StepMania content, the music is legal and entirely authorized by the artists.
    Official site

Foonmix 1, Plus, and 2 - A series of Dance Dance Revolution type games that run on the StepMania engine. The games can be combined with each other and/or other StepMania games. Exceptionally high quality content, and authorized by the artists.
    Official site Mostly in Japanese, but easy to figure out.

Freedoom - A free clone of Doom with no content copyrighted by Id Software. It can be used as a substitute for Doom II for anyone wanting to play classic user-made add-ons. It's in Beta phase (version 0.5) and requires an enhanced port of the Doom source code. Recommended source ports are listed on the homepage. Sadly, my favorite Doom port (Doomsday Engine) does not play Freedoom correctly.
    Official site

HacX - Also a formerly commercial game, this was a $15 add-on for Doom II. It's now officially freeware. You can play it with the DOS version of Doom II, a Doom source port that supports DEH patches combined with the iWAD file from Doom II, or a Doom source port that supports DEH patches combined with Freedoom (does not have to be a port recommended for playing Freedoom). For compatibility, I recommend using Chocolate Doom. It sounds complicated, but it's totally worth it.
    Official site
    Mirror

Strawberry Steps - Another DDR clone for StepMania. Better than D3Mix, not quite as good as Foonmix. Combine Strawberry Steps, Foonmix, and D3Mix, and you've got pure awesome. Authorized by the artists.
    Official site

Free MMO??

Space Cowboy Online - It's supposed to be a MMO 3-D space shooter RPG that you can play for free (you only pay for extra content). I haven't tried it yet myself, but I've been meaning to.
    Homepage

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    fave free game: dig dug

(hums popcorn)

3. flamepanther

Where is Dig Dug free (legally)?

(dammit, now I have Popcorn stuck in my head)

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Where are the free hentai futa games? :( 

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    its also called digger by some.

6. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    over 300 Nintendo games here

English, Japanese, Unlicensed, and Prototype games.

7. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    What about a place where you can play the Gen.1 Fiacom game? Y'know the one with Ultra Magnus.

And hows about postin' up some games I don't have to download in order to play?

8. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

Actually, it was Pengo that had "Popcorn" as its music, not Dig Dug.

Digger was a clone of Mr. Do, not Dig Dug.

JEEZ

9. flamepanther

I listed three games so far under "HTML, Flash, and Java". Those all run in your browser. You can't downlad Kingdom of Loathing, even if you wanted to.

10. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

T2002, unoffical semi-remake of Turrican 2 for Windows.

The Ur-Quan Masters, tarted up version of Star Control 2 based on GPLed source code for the 3DO version.

For the adventure fiends, Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen were both freewared by thier owners for use with SCUMMVM.

Jeff Minter's 8 and 16-bit home computer catalogues are freeware as well, just add the appropriate emulators. I particularly recommend Llamatron and Revenge of the Mutant Camels.

11. flamepanther

Llamatron FTW!

12. flamepanther

First post has been updated with several more games.

13. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

14. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

No kidding, I used to love Mechcommander 2. Awesome.

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    http://www.digger.org/

:p 

from the faq section:

Q: What's the music that plays in the background?
    A: The background music for the main part of the game is called "Popcorn".

16. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

You're misunderstanding, sweetie.

Digger is not a clone of Dig Dug. Digger is a clone of Mr. Do. Comparison shots here.

Pengo, the arcade game, used "Popcorn." No version of Dig Dug anywhere has ever used "Popcorn." But I never said that Digger didn't use "Popcorn."

Got it? ;) 

Anyway, here's a game for the thread:

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/swf/n-game.swf

17. LoC Soundwave

LoC Soundwave 俺の魂は燃えていない!

News Credits:
  18. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
  19. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Finally! I started reading this and couldn't believe there wasn't a mention of this game. lol

Here's a few nice games that I have.

Duel Toys
    The best description I can think of, is Medabots with fighting game characters. It has SD versions of characters from games like Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Guilty Gear, Darkstalkers, and more. The fighting system is similar to Pocket Fighter, but with the striker system of the later KoF games.
    http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=5316

Super Mario XP
    A combination of Super Mario and Castlevania. Very well made.
    http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=4447

Wandering Fighter
    Oldschool rpg platformer. Reminds me alot of the old arcade game, Cadash. Just like Cadash, this is a very hard game.
    http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=5147

Super Cosplay Wars Ultra
    It's basically Pocket Fighter with a cosplay theme. Extremely fun game. Only real fault, is that the last boss suffers from a severe case of SNK boss syndrome.
    http://www.caiman.us/scripts/fw/f1528.html

Hardhat 1, 2, & 3
    It's classic Megaman, only you play as a Met. Perfectly captures the fun of the nes Megaman games.
    Hardhat 1
    Hardhat 2
    Hardhat 3

20. flamepanther

Super Mario XP is actually a personal favorite of mine, but I decided not to include any fan games in my list, since I wanted to be 100% legal. CnC Darkside has made some other really awesome games. G-Type is my other CnC Darkside favorite. It crosses R-Type with Gradius.