Beelzeboss "Devil Horns" Classics Cliffjumper Upgrade Kit Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by optimusfan, Mar 25, 2011.

1. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I received my Beelzeboss "Devil Horns" classics Cliffjumper upgrade kit in the mail today from TFSource and didn't see a pictorial review. One word of warning before we begin: I am moving to a new house in two weeks, and as a result my classics Cliffjumper is packed away at the bottom of a large stack of boxes. Also, my lightbox is packed away, so I made do with a tablecloth and white gift bag. :lol 

Packaging:
    Not much to say here. The packaging looks very nice and is solid. My favorite part is the back, which instructs the user to "Have Fun!" (thanks, I'll try?) and where the head should be placed in case there is any confusion:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside carton:
    Black, plastic...yawn.... The only thing to note is that it is not taped:
    [​IMG]

Contents:
    "New head sculpt", "handheld beam cannon", and "special function laser gun"
    [​IMG]

Head sculpt:
    The head sculpt does a nice job overall evoking Cliffjumper. Plastic quality is good and the silver paint is nice.

However, I do have a couple of complaints. The first is that the light-piping in the eyes is incredibly ineffective. The eyes are a very dark blue, and the strip of translucent plastic on the top of his head is very small. These two factors conspire to make his eyes look dead.

Secondly, I think the face sculpt could have been done better. The silver portion of his face is completely rounded, contrary to photos where shadows make it appear as though there may be angles on his cheeks. Again not the end of the world, it just looks a little bland.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Weapons:
    I like these. They do a decent job homaging Cliffjumper's rifle and pistol and give the mold some much-needed armament. The molding details are nice.

However, much like the head there a couple of issues. Obviously they do look a little bland unpainted. Secondly, they are not solid plastic and are therefore lighter than I expected. They don't feel "cheap", just not as solid as I would have liked.

[​IMG]

Verdict:
    Overall this is a decent set, but perhaps overpriced by a few dollars for what you get. I'm pleased that I'll be able to further distinguish classics 'Bee from Cliffjumper on my shelf and provide him with the weaponry that the mold sorely needed. However, the face-sculpt doesn't quite live up to the standards set by Hasbro/Takara, FansProject, Headrobots, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    A shame that the RPG can't really fit in Gen. Cliff's hand that great. (at least judging from the pics).
    I was considering getting this for the guns... but it doesn't look worth it.

3. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    I actually prefer the helmet and horns on this upgrade to those of WFC Cliffjumper, but I see what you mean about the eyes looking dead. His facial expression doesn't help matters either. Reminds me of the scene in TFTM where Prowl gets killed .

It's still a decent effort and at least provides people with a relatively inexpensive upgrade for their Classics CJ.

The "instructions" crack me up.

4. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    how well do you think the plastic would take to dye?

5. Cheem The Rup

Cheem The Rup Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    nice pics, thanks ! :) 

6. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Browsing/Not Buying

The head and face sculpt look like a throwback to 70s-era robot toys.

Will reserve comment on whether that's a good or bad thing.

7. cosmos360

cosmos360 Not a door bell

Thanks for the review, the set looks really cool. Got Cliffjumper in the mail yesterday, and i've pre-ordered this set.

8. canonball

canonball Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's funny you say that because looking at the close-ups, my first thought was "Shogun Warrior."

9. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked the first customized version of Cliffjumper... what's the name of that company? Forgot... Good review though.

10. and2ng

and2ng Examples, Stupid!

News Credits:
    ^ Pre-FansProject.

11. optimusfan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Thanks to exclusacon for going in on the TFSource order with me, and for bringing over his classics Cliffjumper for a quick photo session when he picked up his kit this afternoon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Additional notes: I'm a bit more sold on this kit after seeing it on a classics CJ. The red matches the body very nicely, and the face looks a little less odd to me. The light-piping is still extremely bad, however. I put the figure in direct sunlight and his eyes still looked very dark.

12. oxidative

oxidative last chance to evacuate

That does look a lot better once on the bot. But $30? I'm having a hard time swallowing that. After being spoiled with the Hardhead upgrade, this $30 seems kinda steep. Probably something I'll get over :D 

13. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It looks like the light piping is right over the screw so most of the light gets blocked by the screw anyway. Painting the eye might be a good way to go.

14. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Damn, I am a real whore for classics upgrades, but for some reason I haven't been able to pull the trigger on this set. Something just doesn't look quite right for me. Just hope if I do buy it that I have enough paint left in Tamiya can to paint this thing, cause I am not too into customizing (after my first attempt) and don't feel like buying another can of spray.

Thanks for the pics and review though.

15. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the review - I was on the fence about this, but I can safely pass without feeling bad about it now. Had they painted the guns I might have gone for it, but it's too weak to justify £22.

16. ElSnarfo

ElSnarfo Registered Slacker

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Hope they tweak this mold to have the face more angular, the eyes slightly larger and a darker plastic for the weaponry..

17. Computer5

Computer5 Well-Known Member

Too bad there's no ez way of transplanting the original face into this helmet. That would be the most optimal for me.

18. optimusfan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    A couple of more thoughts regarding the price. exclusacon and I split an order at TFSource that knocked a few dollars off the cost of the set. We basically got it for $24.xx each shipped. Based on what you get I feel that's a bit on the high side, as I alluded to originally. It would have been a solid buy at $20, assuming you don't mind the rounded face sculpt.

However, I'm seeing prices more like $29.99 + shipping at places like BBTS, which seems too high. As someone noted the HeadRobots Hardhead upgrade was readily available for the low to mid $30's shipped, and that set is superior in basically every way.

19. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Got mine yesterday. I was lucky enough to get in on the $23 price at TFSource.

Aside from the light-piping being worthless, I loveLoveLOVE this kit. The plastic quality is really good, the color matches are perfect, and the sculpts are spot-on to the G1 'toon.

SO glad I hadn't yet opened the extra Gen WfC CJ I bought just for the head. I like this sculpt much better, nevermind the fact that the colors don't match if you use the Gen head.

Would I have been happy with it at $30? Probably. But at $23, I'm ecstatic!

20. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You got to wonder why they didn't cast the guns in a gunmetal black color or at least paint the little details in. For $30, it seems like a little much for something so barebones. It's a shame too because I like the guns.