Bedrooms With Large Collections...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Moriarty, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    Hey TFW, it's been a while. Hope we're all still awesome. :) 

As the UK economy sucks and finding a job in this area is about as possible flying to the Moon using only a cardboard box, I'm entering my 22nd year living at home with my parents. (It's cool, we're all geeks. Our hobby at the moment is watching Fringe together and guessing how nuts Walter is going to be in any given episode.) However, recently, we've hit a snag. I've caught the Transformers Collecting Bug in a big way and I think it's safe to say I now officially have more plastic in my bedroom than any other material. As of such we're planning on gutting my room, moving the bed and wardrobe configuration, and making one whole wall a mass of shelves and cabinets. If I didn't have parents who were so understanding (my Mum collects Gerry Anderson figures and my Dad has more antique computers than...well, than I have Transformers) I would probably have to get rid of a good half of my figures. :( 

So, TFW - how do those of you "living at home" cope with your collection? Howabout those of you in Halls at university, or chillin' with flatmates? Or those moving in with somebody else in general, be it friendship or marriage? It's a topic on my mind a lot lately and inquiring minds wish to know. :]

2. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Most of my bots are in boxes. I've got a dozen or so on and near my desk, plus one very full bookshelf containing 2 shelves of Rodimus figures and 2 shelves of classics figures (every one that fits). The rest are in boxes in the closet, the basement, and just sitting on the floor. It's a bit nuts really.

3. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

My "shelves" consist of for big cabinets located over my closet. I don't mind since I don't like people messing with my stuff. My displays have to be small and get set on top of my desk. The figures have to be stored in robot mode to be able to fit more in each cabinet.

I'm running out of room so I'm rounding up my electronic junk in boxes and putting that on storage in my closet. I will put my combiners in the drawers that become available. That way they will be easier to reach since those are the figures I tend to fiddle around with.

4. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I have to cram my entire collection in very specified places. I really want to move out. Because unless that happens, I have to sell part of my collection all the time to get new things.

5. FrankyWest

FrankyWest As far as it goes

When I was living at my parents.
    I used to have some of my transformers, at home
    Some others at my girlfriends
    and some more in storage.

I didn't want my parents to know how much I had.
    But when they visit me, they always say...

Where did you get all those?
    Hummm, I had them at home?

6. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    My dad had a friend build me some very large shelves, and I use my computer desk to hold a lot of them. I was starting to run out of space, so I bought a storage bin for most of my Armada and Movieverse stuff. I'm just lucky I've got a decent sized room and an accomodating dad

but man, I've definitely gotta get rid of most of the boxes in my closet

7. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Yeah well I'm in my 32nd year.

Whenever I've tried shelves, I get tired of them pretty fast. It just becomes overwhelming and reminds me of how much stuff I have with so little space. Stackable Ikea bins have been infinitely useful for years now.

8. mirage6530

mirage6530 Well-Known Member

Ive collected 26yrs expanded as u go I guess my folks r hippies so they never really cared lol always in encouraged me but really a good shelf system and placement of ur bots they can fit together about like they transform lol

9. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I can't relate because I'm a homeowner, but my friend did exactly what you're describing for his son, and it looks great. This thread will be dead by the time I get over there again, but I'll take a picture anyway. This kid has EVERY Lego Star Wars and Batman set that's been made, all assembled and in some really nice looking Ikea cabinets that line two of the walls (meeting in the corner). I'm not sure what the cabinets are called, but they're basically the wall (almost touches ceiling--cabinets fixed to walls).

You have cool parents.. and Walter is the man.

10. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Moved my collection from out living area to our study and it looks a lot better. My wife calls it the Hasbro room but I don't think it bothers her that much.

11. Dex17113

Dex17113 Well-Known Member

Most of my collection was in storage. I was fortunate that my parents had a huge shed behind the house that they didn't use for much. So I was able to store a good portion of it in there....the rest was stored in the rafters of the garage. It wasn't ideal....but I did what I had to do.

Now I'm a home-owner.....

It's kind of interesting because I lived without the stuff on display for so long I never even considered putting it out after I bought the house. So, after living there 3 1/2 years, I just started getting my stuff out and displaying it.

12. Dex17113

Dex17113 Well-Known Member

So is that your wife in the....uh...restraint harness on your avatar? If so, totally jeallous. :) 

Dex

13. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I kept everything in my bedroom when I lived with my parents. Most of my bedrooms that I had over the years were average sized, except for when I lived in an older house built in the 1800s. I always managed okay, though everything did look cluttered, no matter what I did.

Now I have my own place, and honestly, sometimes my first instinct is still to cram everything in one area. I'm slowly getting out of that habit. I have two extra bedrooms and even the living room if I really wanted to put stuff there.

14. cosmos360

cosmos360 Not a door bell

When i read this, it's like i'm reading about myself, except for the part about Fringe and you parents hobbys.

15. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Most of my Transformers are stored in a plastic bin under my bed when not in use. Cybertron Metroplex and King Starscream get tossed in the closet because they're too big. Between my other hobbies and the books and puzzles and stuff I only have shelving to display a few. Currently it's Quickmix and the Cybertron Defense Team on the bookshelf, G1 Optimus and Megatron on my dresser, Cybertron Optimus combined with Wing Saber, Leobreaker, and Target-exclusive Universe Lio Convoy on a shelf over my dresser, and G1 Blurr and the Dinobots on a shelf over my bed.

16. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    Hey, even if the thread is dead by then I'd love to see a photo, as we're in the idea-gathering stage at the moment - thanks for the heads-up about the Ikea shelves, I'll check them out! Problem with my room is that it has a large window on one side and a radiator on the other, so it's gonna be tricky working out how to adapt the two smaller non-obstacle'd walls to have as much storage space as possible 'cause I'm also a book and DVD fiend :) 

And YES HE IS. This is our first ever run-through of Fringe (Mum got the DVDs for Christmas) and every time he does anything it's like, damn, you are SO awesome.

17. ZacharyBinx

ZacharyBinx Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Most of my shelf space has been taken up by my WWE Mattel collection (which takes up my entertainment center, and 2 walls).

My MP's are on top of one of my DVD cabinets, and my HA figures are on another shelf.

City Commander and Warbot Defender are in partially empty DVD shelves.

My Animated Collection and Starscream stuff is on top of my dresser, along with some Classics, and Protector.

Most of my TF's are scattered about in any spot that will hold figures, though a lot of them are ending up on the floor.

My G1's, G2's, Beast Wars, and AEC stuff are packed away.

Basically whenever I move out, me and my fiance have already decided we're driving to the nearest Ikea and buying a few of the glass cases for our collectibles.

18. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I guess I technically live "at home" but it isn't in the same way most people do. Basically, I moved out when I was 20 and lived by myself. Then I lost my job and moved in with my dad around 2005. 2 years ago, he moved out and I got the entire house. Then maybe a year ago he had to find a new place to live, so I "let" him use the extra bedroom. That being said, we're more like roommates now than living in each other's house.

But with him there, I'm out of room. So I have stuff in the "card room" which was supposed to be my TF and video game room, but now is his office. I have 1 shelf top in there, the entire shelf unit was supposed to be for TFs but TFs only on top and the rest are books. I have an entire closet for cards. I have my room and anything that doesn't fit in there goes into storage in the basement.

If it is something relatively neat looking, it can be in the living room or elsewhere. Such as MP Skywarp or some McFarlane items. I don't know why he cares so much about how the living room looks anyways, he never invites anyone over or anything.

In a couple years we'll be looking for something better so my story may end up changing by then.

19. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Living at both home and at college, I've been pretty lucky. At home, within the last year or two my mom has really noticed how many Transformers I have, and has allowed me to set up bookcases all over the house to put them in. I've got one in my room, two in another room, and four in a third room. They were all in various bins for years prior, so it's nice to be able to see them all. But I just got another one last month, and I already need another. :lol 

At college, I've been lucky enough to have roommates that either didn't mind or even were interested a little. I've had Transformers displayed on my desk for the two years I've been there. My roommates have even been nice enough to let me take pictures of my figures.

20. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

I'm only 20 (as of yesterday :D ) so I still live with my parents (and my three siblings). And my shelves are packed. They may be less packed if I put more of them in less action-y poses, but where's the fun in that?