Because someone killed my last thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by buckmana, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckmana

buckmana Well-Known Member

What motivation did they have when designing the Transformers? was closed by a moderator for some reason or another.

In retrospect, some of what I said was out of line.

But I really wanted to talk about it, not have a flame war.

I've had some time to think about it and eventually decided to go see the movie (I bought an advance ticket and will see it next Thursday).

I think part of my reaction was based on the fact that they were just assigning old names to new Transformers. I don't object to new Transformers, it's just that would prefer they honor the memory of the old Transformers in some way (like having Bumblebee transform into the "new" Volkswagon bug. Or if they're going to come up with a whole "new" Transformer, at least they should be creative enough to come up with a new name.

And to prove I have no ill-will: my favorite movie Transformer:

BARRICADE
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w224/ajbckmn/Transformers/Barricade01.png

This I can live with, a new Transformer with a new name.

Now contrast this with the movie version:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/14795/cat/1629

To me, it seems as though the movie version is more "fiddly" then the toy.

If he looked at least somewhat like his toy (in the movie), I wouldn't have issues.

But I guess I'll find out on Thursday.

2. mblase

mblase Well-Known Member

They've been doing this for twenty years now -- ever since Beast Wars gave us Optimus Primal and dinosaur Megatron.

Every new generation of toys uses old names is new bodies. Don't make the mistake of assuming this movie is only aimed at G1 fans just because they re-used mostly G1 names.

The toy looks as much like his movie incarnation as they could possibly do with a deluxe-sized toy. Personally, I'm impressed they paid as much attention to detailing his legs as they did.

3. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the traditional designs have been fairly repetitive (and boring) since armada started. TF needed a nice kick in the pants.

5. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

An exact likeness of OPTIMUS PRIME's G1 toy wouldn't have worked in a cartoon format so they streamlined it.

Same thing's happening again on the movie. Moving from one media to another isn't as simple as some think.

And if they'd called the yellow Autobot scout something other than BUMBLEBEE, you can bet there'd be someone here saying "why didn't they use the old names".

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I'm just going to give you a heads up. If your thread was closed, it was closed for a reason, chances are this one'll get closed too.

ON TOPIC:

Exactly, once the movie's come and had it's fun, we'll get some more G1-esque goodness, then the next movie will come and so on, and so forth.

Personally, I love the movie designs way more than the old traditional designs.

7. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

Well unfortunately, it is near impossible to give Bumblebee a modern VW model as his alternate mode. Volkswagon apparently thinks it's bad publicity for their cars to be associated with weapons of war, let alone one of their cars turning into an alien robot death machine. For that reason, we never got a Bumblebee alternator (same for Porsche, that's why JAzz doesn't retain his porche alt mode for both his alternator incarnation as well as in the movie)

Anyways, I think the designers did manage to honour the memory of the old transformers in their own way. I feel that the new alternate modes, though they are not the same make/model/manufacturer as those of their G1 namesakes, at least retain the spirit of the character. Bumblebee still turns into a vintage car (well at least in the beginning) and Jazz still turns into a sleek sports car. Ironhide's movie and G1 modes both convey the muscle and brawn behind the character. The rest are no brainers, Prime is still a truck and Ratchet is still an Ambulance (heck, I wouldn't even mind if he was a fire truck as was originally rumoured, it's still a rescue type vehicle)

8. buckmana

buckmana Well-Known Member

Bumblebee an alien robot death machine? :lol  How much did they change his character? He was always the friendly one

If they wanted a fire truck, Inferno would have been better.

There's been so many Micromasters, I'm not sure that counts.

And there is a Blackout too:

Blackout

And 2 Wreckage:

Wreckage (Mini-con)

Another Mini-con

Please tell me they came up with at least one original name.......

Oh well, I need more Decepticons in my collection (too many Autobots).

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Ratchet is fire rescue. It says "Fire Department" right on his side, and "search and rescue fire dept." on his badge. Which is why his green is more appropriate.
    It's really hard to do that, since all the good names have been taken. There's like 1000+ named transformers out there.

10. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Nope, they didn't.

Oh wait... Does "Sam" count. :D 

11. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    Sure it counts, a reused name is a reused name.

Nope. The movie cast is all reused G1 names.

Near as I can tell, "Dropkick" is the only name that hasn't been attached to a previous Transformer from the main toyline.

12. Turnpike

Turnpike Brawl is my bee-otch

13. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
  14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    His roll was Soundwave, and they did have similar vehicle modes, but the design was Vortex and Blackout.

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Yet again... they couldn't use the new VW Bug. Volkswagen wouldn't let them. We either had Bumblebee as a new vehicle, or not at all. Having seen the movie, I am DAMN glad they decided to keep the character and just change the alt mode.
    He still is. Remember, Bumblebee is the advance scouting/recon party for the others (just as he always was in the G1 cartoon). He came to Earth to locate the Allspark, and the alert his comrades.
    However, THIS Bumblebee realises that all hands are needed to fight, as well as his other tasks. He has gone toe-to-toe with Megatron himself, and knows how to handle himself (as you'll see). However, he is still the "nice guy" of the group, to coin a phrase. You wait until you see how he handles himself.

16. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I think we've reached "codename" saturation point anyway. What with all the Transformers and GI JOE characters out there, it must be tough for even Hasbro to come out with original-sounding monikers!

17. Longhaul53

Longhaul53 Guest

Not to mention that they need to watch out for other Toy Lines/Toy Companies out there that have thousands upon thousands of names Copyrighted or registered. Hasbro cannot use names registered by other companies. So, as you might be able to gather, this really slows down the naming process...

Picking new names is not as simple as saying let's call him XYZ... According to an article written by Nevermore, there's a huge legal process involved.... http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=96712&highlight=trademark

18. The Demolisher

The Demolisher Banned

Sorry, but you're talking complete nonsense. There have been realistic Transformers done before, they worked. They weren't 100% convincing since many of them were done on a shoe-string or short commercial's budget. Have you seen the Winged Sunstreaker done by the guy that did the VW Bug Transformer? looks more convincing than the movie bots to me.

Prime is a bad example since he looks sort of like what he used to anyway. But first off, he doesn't even technically have the "right" alt mode(yet it's acceptable for Bumbles to be an even older car? Huh?). Yes, I know Prime has been a bazillion things from a fire engine to a plant pot. It doesn't change what his "iconic" form is and thus the one that should be in a movie. Luckily enough, he's a decent enough truck, at least, though the flames are terrible - there isn't much call for them, they could have used a fade or geometric patterns, I've seen a lot of trucks around like that.

It bemuses me as to how you think Megatron or Starscream fit in with your thougth process on this one. Both of them only very vaguely resemble the originals. Ironhide's probably worse, I don't know why people like him, the FAB has a nice bot mode but the movie model is a walking scrapheap.

The fact is, regardless of how good a movie this is, it's not quite how it should be done. I don't think some people realise how immensely idiotic some of the decisions are - when you make a movie OF something, you don't make up a bunch of new stuff and give it the old name. If TFs are to change, it should be done through the original medium of comics, cartoons, and toys. That's what it "is". Do you REALLY think hollywood execs are going to be the ones to bring unprecedented genius to the series?
    When you're making a movie "of" something, it should remain faithful to the source material to a different degree, just with a mostly different storyline so people who've read all the comics will still want to know what's going to happen.

I think a lot of people are relying on how hard it is to define what's "wrong" with the movie. It's sort of a primal thing though. Something is being changed where it's not appropriate to do so.

Change is okay. But when you're making a movie OF something, it should remain reasonably close to the source material. Spider-man and X-men made a lot of changes, but at least everyone was recognisable as to who they are, and everyone recieved characterisation. Sure they added stuff like Doc Oc and Sandman's families - but it was still very much in "The Spirit" of the original comics, nothing "felt" too out of place. So much in this movie feels out of place from the get go. It "feels" like something new, but not necessarily in a positive way.

Of course, most people here will disagree with me, I'm just saying what it's like for the people who have sat back and thought and realised how much better it would have been if we got a movie that at least kept everyone recognisable and had the Decepticons as real characters and not monster subtitle speaking terrorists.

19. The Demolisher

The Demolisher Banned

Um, since when is a Bug the only car that looks anything like a Bug? Something like a Nissan Micra would have worked... the best thing would have been, since he's the main character, to make a whole new car that heavily resembles the bug(remember, this is what Bumblebee was in the beginning anyway).

The issue is that Bumblebee was never a "big" car. It seems kind of wrong for him to be that way, especially bigger than Jazz. I realise how big the Decepticons are - but I kind of like the David and Goliath thing they have going on. Plus, there are plenty of bigger autobots - it shouldn't all be about firepower just to be an important character. Bumbles was never much of a fighter, he could probably handle Ravage if he took him by surprise but that's about it.

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Hate to pull out this card again, but, this is not G1 folks, so it doesn't have to follow G1 to a tee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.