Beats By Dre - Solo Edition headphones

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Kuma Style, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Has anyone ever gotten a chance to listen to a pair? I guy at the gym let me listen to his today, and I **WILL** own a pair tomorrow. I've never heard a pair of non-studio headphones with sound like this in my entire life. Words cannot even describe how epic they are. I don't even know how I've ever worked out without a pair of these.

2. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just bought some Solo HDs around a month ago. I dig them quite a bit!

3. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah i was thinking about putting a pair on my xmas list this year for the wife to get! Are they really that much different TJ?

4. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've been thinking about getting the noise cancelling ones for some time now.

5. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Guys, I'm not going to lie. My Sony earbuds were $50, and I thought they were bees knees, and I listened to my same song that I was listening to on my ipod with the beats by dre solos, and my headphones now sound like worthless pieces of shit.

It's not even like being in a room with a great sound system, it's literally like having an amazing car stereo, and just sitting in the car with the engine off listening to your music.

You hear NOTHING around you, and it's not even because it's loud, even low they cancel out outside noise completely, and the bass/reverb is incredible. The headphones even vobrate softly against your ears during bass.

Like I said, I saw a preview for them in GameInformer like a few years ago, and I figured, oh ok, expensive ebcause they're sponsored/promoted by Dre... no no NO... these things are fucking ridiculous.

They'll be mine tomorrow. /100%FACT

6. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    If it's reasonable for you, go ahead and go for the Studios. If you plan to be going to the gym with them then they might be a little big, but I'd assume they'd stay on better than the solos just by design. I've gone jogging with the Studios and they've stayed on alright. The only thing that might get in the way is the long-ass cable.

I can't really speak for the Solos as far as sound quality goes, but in my experience over ear (Studios) always beats on ear.

If you go to a Best Buy or an Apple store they usually have working display sets out, try those out and see what works best for you.

I'm not trying to get you to spend more, I'm just telling you about what I got. I've had mine for about a year and a half, (Maybe two) they hold up. Plus, from what I hear Monster's great with customer service. Their stuff's worth the price.

7. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Studios aren't reasonable for me. Price isn't jack for either, but I tried a pair on at best buy, and they're too big. when on the bench press and whatnot... plus I think they look ridiculous. If I did a lotta home listeing though, man oh man, I'd be all over it.

I'm so ready to have these now, but, my bday's in like 3 weeks, so I think that may jsut be a gift I ask my broke wifey to buy me.

8. Magnus12

Magnus12 Well-Known Member

Dude, you get these for like half the price on Amazon. ( i no its obvious) I actually saw the red solos for 80 and im like OMG this isn't possible! But the condition said acceptable so i figured there is an obvious probolem.
    If you haven't bought em yet definitely check amazon. :) 

9. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

My computer has a soundboard by Beats, and I feel bad for being too poor to afford a pair in order to use it correctly.

10. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I was wondering if TJ or anyone else here had gotten a pair of these since the most recent post?

I grabbed a pair on a boxing day sale, but I'm really not too sure about opening/keeping them or not. I've heard good and bad reviews on the sound quality, but to be honest I'd trust the opinions here about 10x those of the other sites I've come across.

I'm not a crazy audiophile by any standard, but I do like having clear, detailed sound when I listen to my music, which is pretty much everything but country, polka, and hardcore metal (I like being able to hear when I take off my headphones).

Unfortunately, I've heard that the bass destroys the rest of the audio with these headphones, but that it's possible to just use the equalizer on your mp3 player to compensate. At the same time I've also heard that the finer details included in the mids and highs are actually quite good on these when the bass is not overpowering them, so I'm a bit conflicted as to what to do with these.

11. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Yea, I have them and love them. Bose headphones seem a lot better at noise cancelling, but these are damned good, and I love how it handles bass especially.

Yes, the bass is heavy, but, as you said, can be balanced out with equalizing. Even without, I don't feel that it "overpowers" the mids and highs. I guess though, it's more of a preference thing than anything though, and that's obviously going to vary from person-to-person.

12. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My wife got me some for Xmas, and the crazy thing is I forgot to mention it to her I wanted some! Crazy! As for the earbuds they are insane! When i had them on, I couldnt even hear myself talk while my music was playing. Great!

13. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I can wear them at work. My job has like 10 pairs for the workers to wear but it mostly for advertisement. benefits for working at best buy lol.

14. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the feedback/updates on the headphones. I think I'll stick with them, but just mess around a bit with the equalizer if they don't sound right at first.

15. DeathAnghell

DeathAnghell Beast Wars!

I've tried out the regular Solos, Solo HD's, and the Studios. The regular Solos were alright, and HD's were pretty good. I wasn't too impressed by the Studios, but I'll have to spend more time with them. The Solos/Solo HD's are some of the coolest looking headphones I've ever seen.

The only thing I don't like is how overpowering the bass can get at times and the mids and highs could be a little bit better on all of them. I actually preferred the Klipsch Image Ones over both of the Solos. I still might get a pair of the HD's later on this year.

16. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I did a lot of research a while back on headphones when I was looking for a pair. I didn't get the dre headphones because of numerous reviews of plastic on them breaking after a while. But from what I hear their almost second to none if you want bass. I settled on sennheiser 448s as amazon had them marked down from $150 to 44.99. Also picked up a fio f7 portable amp and holy crap it makes a difference. Like night and day. If you want great mids/highs and acceptable bass I'd say get the 448s. But if your looking for bass you should prob get the dre set.

17. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And remember. Your headset will break in over the first month you have them if you dont do a 24 hour burn in. So they may not sound awesome at first but they will as soon as they get some wear time.

18. Magnus12

Magnus12 Well-Known Member