Beatmix Bumblebee review + videos

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ams, Jun 13, 2007.

1. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Beatmix Bumblebee arrived today, courtesy of my Discover card cashback bonus redemption with Sharper Image; so he was (in a way) free! He also came with a new product catalog I don't think we've seen, which has Ultimate Bumblebee and Robot Replicas Barricade featured.

I know a lot of folks probably don't care too much about BB, but I think many were wondering exactly what it does, so hopefully this will help. He is, for all practical purposes, a fancy speaker that does some other cool stuff. He'll operate with your iPod, Diskman, pretty much anything with a stereo jack (same plug size as standard headphones). Heck, if you've got a record player, you could most likely hook him up to that, too. His primary function is as a playback device, so just to clarify, he is not an mp3 player himself, nor can he download or store music (for the most part--more on that later).

BB's box is about ten inches tall and six inches deep and has a window that displays beautifully. One thing that immediately surprised me was how not-prominently displayed the Transformers logo is on the packaging. It's relegated to a tiny box in the bottom right corner on the front, and even smaller on the top and back. The sides of the box do not say Transformers at all. I was glad to see the Collector's Club logo make it onto the packaging.

His doors ship separately in the box and need to be snapped onto his back. Six standard-issue Hasbro twist ties kept BB safe and secure on his way to my house.

BOX FRONT
    BOX BACK

BB takes four AA batteries (2 in each foot) to operate. The elbows and shoulders have ratcheting joints that can be manually positioned, and these are the only parts that can be moved by the user. The elbows have only a hinge, so there's limited movement there.
    There is no leg, knee, or hip movement whatsoever.

ARMS EXTENDED
    ARMS RAISED
    WITH DOORS ATTACHED

He has eight LED lights:
    - Eyes (2)
    - Nipples! (2)
    - Chest under the Autobot logo--also the record button for capturing samples (1)
    - Upper back/doors (2)
    - Lower back--also the power button (1)

The speaker is just above the license plate on his stomach. You plug your audio device into his right heel. The sound sensor, which picks up external music (when you're not feeding music through the cord), is located in his crotch. There are "beat buttons" on his chest and just above both feet (more on those later), a volume control on his left outside shin, and a "scratch wheel" on his right outside shin.

When you power him on, he plays a rock rendition of the Transformers theme and runs through a quick series of LED sequences. To turn him off, you press and hold the same button - there's another LED animation + the transform sound to confirm power off.

Here's a fast video of the power up sequence

BB gets progressively more "excited" as more music plays through him. After two minutes of music, he's fully "excited" (lol) and will display all the various lights and movement sequences. Movement includes head, door-wings, and waist.

Here are some fast pics, intentionally taken in low light to illustrate the light features.

PIC PIC PIC PIC

More features... the following is taken from the manual, as I don't think I can explain it better:

"The toy is able to manually record music and beats (in 5-second clips), and it will also randomly record music and beats (in 3-second clips). These sound clips are stored in its memory (up to 60 seconds). The toy will then play the recordings back, at random, depending on its energy level."

You can also manually record five second clips by pressing the Autobot logo. Here's another excerpt from the manual that explains how those are managed:

"Recorded sound clips in the internal memory disappear over time. If the toy receives no new input for 15 minutes, it will start to erase recorded clips from its memory. If the toy has not been exposed to music for 1-2 days, there won't be any recorded music in the memory."

Additionally, there are "beat machine" buttons on the left and right chest panels, as well as above each foot. These sounds are a bit cheesy, and can be looped by following various button sequences.

All in all, this thing is cool as an oddity, and for the fact that Bumblebee playing music in this fashion is a bit of a tie-in to his character in the movie. Still, I'd have a hard time giving it a full-on recommendation to anyone unless you really like this kind of stuff. Points are lost for the squatty proportions (would have been better with Cyberstompin Bumblebee's legs) and the lack of knee and hip movement, although that is undoubtedly to ensure the figure remains stable while the waist is in motion.

Click here for another video, featuring Huey!

[​IMG]

2. dare

dare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the vids. Kinda freaky. He looks like an undead baby with all those unnatural lights.

3. LoC Soundwave

LoC Soundwave 俺の魂は燃えていない!

News Credits:
    Hahahthat's neat ^^ Gotta get me one of those...

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm internally conflicted. Seems pretty neat, though I'd be more tempted to buy if it were closer to the size and price of your average I-dog.

Ditto on horror movie posessed baby feel.

P.S. will stores other than Sharper Image be getting these? Is BB some kind of exclusive, or was Sharper Image just first?

5. Radaphyte

Radaphyte Sanity redefined.

I gotta agree on the possessed baby front. That is quite possibly the scariest thing I have seen in ages.

It will live forever in my nightmares.

:D 

6. ams

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    According to the SI catalog that shipped with him, BB is indeed a Sharper Image exclusive.

7. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    We've been told that Sharper Image is just getting a version with an exclusive CATALOGUE a couple of months before general release.

8. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He looks pretty cute! Thanks, ams! I'd love to see some video of his random snippet playback and movement, if you could swing it.

He definitely doesn't appear to be exclusive to Sharper Image. He's listed on Amazon as orderable now from Sharper Image (for $59.95 + $11.95 shipping), or pre-orderable from Amazon themselves (for $73.19 :sly:  with free shipping) and Target (for $39.98 :thumb  + $6.46 shipping).

Considering I just got $35 worth of Amazon certificates, I'm thinking a pre-order from Target is in my near future.

9. ams

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^
    Yeah, it had been my understanding that he was to be limited to SI for a period of time before becoming a general release. What I found confusing was that the verbiage included in the SI catalog didn't leave any room for a future release outside of SI, like "get him first at SI" or something. It just flat out listed him as an exclusive.
    I'm not sure I follow you - do you mean the TF products catalog he shipped with is supposed to be some kind of exclusive? The one that will soon be included in every single TF product on the market? Because if so, that's even lamer than Kmarts "comic exclusive" Unleashed Bumblebee!
    :lol 

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I may have to get him now...

11. Feralstorm

News Credits:
    Hmm. sounds a little like when Wal-Mart got Energon Megatron 'exclusive' for the first couple months.

Don't have any Sharper Image stores nearby, and I don't think I've got a strong enough interest for online ordering, so I'll happily wait it out.

12. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It's certainly amusing, but even at its lowest price point of $40 I wouldn't buy it. It's a "if I happen to catch on clearance" sort of purchase.

13. Feralstorm

News Credits:
    Kinda funny, BBTS has been advertising Beatmix BB in their latest mailings, at $49.99. I think this is one of the first times the online retailer has outpriced the brick 'n' mortar shop on non-imported TFs. (though admittedly the shop hasn't been SHARPER IMAGE before. :)  )

14. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Huey Lewis CD made me want to make an American Psycho joke. But I think it woulda fallen flat.

That's a great movie, though.

As for the toy...doesn't transform, and it's a little pricy, and I'm already going to get Ultimate BB. 'Less I love the character after seeing the movie, I'll pass.

15. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    And when he tired of playing boring music, Beatmix Bumblebee changes his name to Beatme Bumblebee. I might get one.

16. Ultra Primus

Ultra Primus ...with you on it?

I got Beatmix BB today,... I thought it was broken based on the fact the arm joints don't actually move while he dances, he can just be posed differently by moving them manually until they lock into place. A bit different than what I was expecting, but still pretty cool and happy to add it to my collection.

17. y2jversion1

y2jversion1 Rent this space today!

Ebay:
    LOL

It's 48.95 in Walmart here... I'll wait till it goes on clearance..

18. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

Huey Lewis and the News - picked it up on my way over here. Great stuff! What you don't like music?

ok my question is you ten to hear him move around alot over the music, is there a way to turn that off so he just plays the music and doesnt dance around so I can hear the music?

19. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Hey does he play the music clearly?

20. Bumblebee78

Bumblebee78 Well-Known Member

It is not as perfect as some high quality speakers but mine plays music quite nicely. The only thing is that the little moving parts make some noise that can be heard even if the music is loud.