Beast Wars thoughts and queries.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Midnight, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

Just some stuff that came to me while thinking about the Beast Wars and beast era on Cybertron.Nothing that i'll lose sleep over but interesting none the less.

Where was Optimus Prime during the beast era on Cybertron?
    I assume Megatron was probably dead but what about Prime?Was there a new Prime?

Why do Big Convoy,Lio Convoy,and Optimus Primal look so similar to one another and Optimus Prime?Why do they have Matrixs?(Optimus Primal had one in the Japanese manga) Do they hold the same rank or something?

I know it's easy to discount the Japanese stuff for most fans but I think it's important.

2. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prime was probably dead too. Simon Furman's pseudo-canonical story, The Last Days of Optimus Prime showed him to have departed this world for the higher realm of the J'nwann by the time of the Beast Era. There doesn't appear to have been a new Prime appointed in his stead, as the Maximals are led by a council of elders. Instead, per Japanese continuity at least, there are numerous "Prime"/"Convoy" ranked Autobots operating directly beneath the elders.

It seems that the numerous Convoys are deliberately created in the image of Optimus Prime (and named after him, Convoy being his name in Japan), perhaps just out of respect. Regarding their Matrixes, the trick of those things is, they're not magical, unique objects like the Matrix of Leadership - they're devices called Energon Matrices, which are just powerful sources of energy carried by ranking Maximals. Primal, Big and Leo are all of the same rank, that rank being "Convoy".

3. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

Ohhhhhhhhhh,okay.

Thanks my bookworm friend.:) 

That answers all my questions completely.

4. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    Just to throw another idea out there, the Maximals and Predicons seem to be ruled by governing bodies instead of a single individual. I wonder if that was a condition of the end of the war, to prevent anyone from gaining enough power to start a new war both sides agreeded to be run by a council. Which explains why Megatron was treated (albeit half-heartedly) as a rouge by the Tri-predicon council in an effort to appear to be following the new law. Therefore no Optimus Prime and no new Prime to replace him.

5. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Just to elaborate a little bit, Vector Sigma played a larger, but more shadowy role in Cybertron society as a guiding force on Cybertron. It would communicate via the Matrices to the individual Convoys (or their crews) or be appraised of the goings on in the universe that they partook in. VS could also create new lifeforms as needed. However, despite all that, VS was not a ruling force of government, just a protective force of Cybertron and the Transformers as a race.

The Maximals were controled by a Convoy Council, that is a group of Convoys who had risen in rank and performed great services over the years. Lio Convoy at the end of his ordeals was offered a position on said council in some continuities.

In a nutshell, Convoy is a lot like Animated's Prime rank, it was like being a Captain.

Also the Comic Bon Bon Manga and the TV series were two completely different continuities.

6. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

How old were the Maximals and Predacons?

Some of them were former Autobots and Decepticons but what about Optimus Primal and Megatron or Rattrap and Dinobot?

If they werent around during the great war then they would be 300 years old at the most.Thats pretty young.

7. Chris McFeely

News Credits:
    By all appearances, none of them were around during the Great War, since none of them seem to have any specific knowledge of what happened in it. Simon Furman has this funny notion that Megatron was around at the end of the Great War and fought in its final stages, but thankfully he's never actually written any stories about it.

8. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

So I guess theyr all really young then.

The Maximal elders (Ironhide,Silverbolt,Prowl) are they the original Autobots theyr named after or what?

Makes me wish I still had theyr toys.

9. Chris McFeely

News Credits:
    'tis a roundabout affair. In the cartoon, the Maximal Elders weren't named. IDW decided to make the three robots that made up the combiner Magnaboss into the Elders, as a counterpart to the Tripredacus Council being the Predacon combiner, Tripredacus. They were already called Ironhide, Prowl and Silverbolt, so on top of that, yes, they did decide to make them into the original G1 characters. They'd existed for, like, twelve years before that happened, though!

10. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Grimlock and Ravage were also present during the war.

I like that Prowl and co. are now depicted as being reformatted G1 characters but then the 3 of them have always been among my favourie Autobots.

Just yesterday I finished going through the entire run of Beast Wars/Machines. Also recently read all the IDW Beasties stuff. Love them all.

So onto my own querie.

I've always loved the Universe/Wreckers comics but recently heard that they don't mesh with the IDW Beast Wars books. Having read the lot of them, I don't really see any conflicting elements between them. Except for maybe Ramulus' origin.

If Primevil Dawn is set after the IDW books, there's no reason Spittor and Iguanus can't be Transmetal upgrades and Ravage is the same character.

So are the Wreckers and IDW BW seperate or the same continuity?

11. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

Thats cool,and it worked out nice.

Your full of information arnt you?

Okay,how about this?

It's often been said that Optimus Primal is a giant ape,but its wrong at least from the cartoons perspective.

We get a size comparison from Cheetor in the first episode when he runs along side a couple of real cheetahs.Also Tigatron gives us one too with his female Tiger friend.

Compared to Primal it's obvious hes a normal sized ape while Megatron must be a miniature T-Rex.

It also makes Rattrap a giant rat,though when you think about the time period it dosnt seem so far fethd.

12. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

Also,if the Beast Wars took place during such primitive times,why didnt we see more primitive versions of animals?

Where were the sabretooth tigers?

13. FMA1987

FMA1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    if you remember at the time the scans they did when they came to earth was past the time of dinosaurs....they scanned the bodies of the bones of the dinosaurs.

14. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

Yeah I remember that but if they were walking around the earth in this time period shouldnt they have run into some more primitive beasts or something?

Big convoys mammoth form seems the most appropriate.

I also dont see how there were modern cheetahs and tigers but no sabretooths.

15. FMA1987

FMA1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i see where your coming from i dont know if they were basing it off of the time line before they all died out or after plus i think the japanese one was slightly different from the american one

16. TMIIWonkoNemi

TMIIWonkoNemi Well-Known Member

There was a sabertooth in the Episode 'Bad Spark',in a scene where it attacks Blackarachnia.

17. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Part of the problem lies in what the producers of the show were thinking at the beginning.

The planet they landed on wasnt originally going to be EARTH.

So the animators never thought to insert primitive versions of animals in the early episodes.

18. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

This begs the question now,why dont we have a sabretooth TF.

That would rule!

19. GrimlockDinobot

GrimlockDinobot Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I guess you can say TM2 Cheetor represents a saber tooth tiger..somewhat.
    Also, from the map that the beast wars were on, it appears that we pretty much focused thier battles in Northern Africa and Southern Europe. I guess at that time Southern Europe was where they found Tigatron.

And maybe they just picked the animals based on the region. If, the Axalon crash landed in the colder parts, I bet:

Optimus = Wolly Mammoth
    Cheetor = Saber Tooth Tiger
    Rhinox = Then Artic Rhino (I forgot what it's name was)
    Rattrap = Artic Rabbit
    Tigatron = Artic Fox

But i do wonder what the predacons would have been, since I doubt they would have been inscects.

20. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

I would have thought that maybe the beast modes they chose were based of of the Cybertronian races experience with humans in the past and not the time or place they were but it dosnt seem to be the case.

It's interesting to note Earths influence on future Cybertronian life and culture though.In the comics Lio Convoys Cybertronian mode was still based on a lion prior to his trip to earth.

There arnt any lions on Cybertron so it's obviously inspired by the earth.

It might explain why K-9 was a german shepard.