Beast Wars: The Ascending Issue #3 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tim Formas, Dec 12, 2007.

1. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Where is Don going? :( 

2. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

I kinda agree, I'm not for the Unicron tie in and all the characters that look alike. I wished they took that into account earlier and never introduced the look alike. I just keep the IDW storyline separate, and the BW series itself a standalone.

Darn I was hoping that Don finished the fourth issue before going =( Josh will be continuing the colours right?

3. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    they should get the original show writers to write the BW comic. Furman has no business writing Beast Wars.

4. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Furman WAS a writer on Beast Wars. Fail.

5. omegafix

News Credits:
    yeah he wrote the final episode, and he had no right doing that either

6. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I really liked the Gathering but so far Ascending isnt as good. The story seems very conviluted and I had a few wait wtf is going on moments.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

:lolol  wait what?

Damn man, get a grip.

8. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    The reason I enjoyed Adam Patyk and James McDonnough or what have you back during the days of Dreamwave was the fact that it WASN'T Simon Furman.

Now that he's scribing almost literally every single thing in IDW's Transformers selection, and that he has complete and total control of every freakin' book that comes out in terms of storyline, I really don't miss the comics.

Don't get me wrong - Simon is a great writer, an even greater person, but I just wish there was some new flavor to the Transformers, bringing in a new writer and doing something drastic to shake things up. I can only handle so many build-ups in IDW's books for the conclusion to be a bigger let down then the engagement to my ex fiance.

9. omegafix

News Credits:

100% agreed

10. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    After reading the first three issues I got the following question:

So what do you folks think - who's the main leader of the maximals? Lio Convoy or Big Convoy? For that matter where does Optimus Primal fit in? I'm guessing that since Big Convoy has the matrix he's the Beast Wars version of G1 Optimus Prime. Subsequently, I would guess that Lio is similar to G1's Ultra Magnus being second-in-command. I figure Primal is just a field general similar to G1's Fortress Maximus... I'd like to see IDW resolve this by listing the chain of command in a future BW issue.

Otherwise, I think the 2 BW mini-series have been great so far - Furman has been able to accomplish more in seven issues than he has been able to in 16 issues of G1 (YAWNNN!!!!)... my two cents.

EDIT: Just noticed the following thread: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=160994. I guess it answers most of my questions - I guess in the Convoy council, all Convoys are equal.

11. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Also 100% agreed. Sorry Simon.

I loved Mcdonough. He was my favorite TF writer of all time and he needs to return. I loved him paired with Don, but not having both is gonna suck.

12. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Japan's continuity is a bit different... Not all Convoys would appear to be equal as Big Convoy was shown taking orders from the Convoy Council in BW Neo, suggesting he was a subordinate, not a member of the group. Convoy would appear to just be a common name given to commanders in Japan's continuity. Big Convoy also isn't the only one with a Matrix in Japan. Lio Convoy has one, and Optimus Primal (who was called Convoy in Japan) in the Beast Wars II movie was shown to have one as well.

According to the Beast Wars cartoon, the leaders of the Maximals are known as the Maximal Elders. It's been long suggested these Elders are the Magnaboss trio; Silverbolt, Prowl and Ironhide, which would mirror the Predacon's trio of leaders the Tripredacus Council who were based on the Tripredacus trio. And Primal in the NA continuity started out as just an ordinary exploration ship captain, with a famous name (and never carried a Matrix).

13. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info! Yeah, I never understood why Japan elevated Primal to a Prime/Convoy ranking. Especially considering that in the first episode of BW he doesn't get much respect (in the form of his leadership qualities) from the other maximals (especially Rattrap) - which makes the viewer assume that he's not a Prime/Convoy with a matrix (only a ship captain). I always assumed he became a true matrix-like leader after becoming Optimal Optimus.

14. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Nick Roche did a good job on Spotlight: Kup.

See, that's part of the problem too. The Beast Wars stories are too much build-up.

Now, in the -ation titles, there's build-up too, but the way getting there happens to be fun ride as well. Somehow the BW titles fail at that.

15. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

You're the second person I've seen make that comment and I just don't see it... They look like the animals they're supposed to be to me, or close enough.

I'd disagree. These BW arcs are only four issues long, so to me at least, if feels like once they get the story going it's time to start wrapping it up for the resolution. I don't feel like they really have enough time to do too much build-up.

Well, I've heard when BW first started in Japan they were going with the idea the Convoy and Megatron were the G1 characters, but this later changed as the series progressed and it became clear they where new characters, but with the same names. Even so, Convoy is a name most characters (besides Ginrai) who look like Optimus Prime has in Japan.

16. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i think the main problem with the bw comics is that the familiar characters from the series aren't in it.

one thing that disappoints me is that they haven't just turned the lost episode Dark Glass into comic form.