Beast Wars Sourcebook Thread (quick review)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Predakwon, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Did anyone pick this up? Apparently it's been pretty hard to find on my end, but Midtown Comics held 2 for me.

I was kinda indifferent these sourcebooks, but I got them because I'm a completist. Good news is that they fixed most of the errors and made some changes. I'll go through them an issue at a time.

Issue one:
    Airazor-now has pics of all 3 Transmetal forms
    Archadis-2 page spread now 1 page
    BB-is now the proper purple and black (YES!)
    Big Convoy-Now has a pic of his tank(?) mode
    Bigmos-2 page spread is now 1
    Blackarachnia-TM2 form is now properly colored and now has a pic of the regular form
    Cheetor-now has pics of TM1 beast mode and pics of the TM2 forms
    Cohrada-2 page spread is now 1
    Cybershark-Now has a pic of the regular robot mode and the TM2 beast mode
    Dinobot-Changed the robot and beast mode pics (much better IMHO)

Issue two:
    Gimlet-now more red
    Gigastorm-now has pics of the robot and car modes of Recon Drone (Fastrack)
    Grimlock-NOTHING!!! WHY DOES HIS ROBOT PIC HAVE TO SUCK!!?!?

I'll do more later. Please let me know if you noticed other differences.

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Based on the coloring issues I waited for the trade.
    But I haven't seen this in any store yet. :( 

3. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

This whole project was so screwed. I got all the individual issues and IDW can kiss my butt if they think they can double dip me on this just because they decided to get their act together for the trade. Heck most say the trade is still not correct.

I really hope their new TF editor can whip them into shape.

4. Predakwon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Some more little tidbits:

Issue two:
    Gimlet-now more red
    Gigastorm-now has pics of the robot and car modes of Recon Drone (Fastrack)
    Grimlock-NOTHING!!! WHY DOES HIS ROBOT PIC HAVE TO SUCK!!?!?
    Lio Junior-His head is now the correct blue
    Magnaboss II-His face is colored the correct red
    Megatron-WTF?! 3 page spread is now 2 but no pics of the TMI or TMII forms. Sucks as much as Grimlock

Issue three:
    Optimus Primal-lost the 2 pics of the bat forms but added the beast mode and robot mode pics of the TMI form.

BTW, is there another site that lists the differences? This way I don't have to waste space.

On a side note, Amazon has this in stock now. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/16...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=320448701&pf_rd_i=507846

5. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

I don't know about anyone else but I have greatly enjoyed the reaction to this train wreck. Funny when the shoe's on the other foot, isn't it?

6. Predakwon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Finished it:

Issue four:
    A lot of profiles that had 2 or 3 page spreads are now reduced by a page. Like Sling (WTF?! originally a 2 page spread?)
    Wolfang-fixed from Wolfgang.

There also a mini-glossary/dictionary at the end.

All in all it's not bad for the $25, but just mildly recommended. It would be so much better if the Japanese character reflected their cartoon personalities.

Also, is it just me, or should TM Scavanger, just be TM Inferno?

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I just picked this up today.
    Due to gas prices, I haven't been to the comic book store in two months.
    There are two about 15 miles from house -and neither is on the way home from work.
    I got the BW Sourcebook. The Ark II, All Hail Megatron #1, Spotlight Hardhead, and the UK reprint that has Geoff Senior's artwork (I forget the name -but love Senior's work -such energy.)
    I spent over $60, but I suppose I would have spent the same amount incrementally and I am sure I saved $10-$15 in gas over the long run.

The only reason I was able to wait for the TPB is because there was no ongoing continuity associated with the Sourcebook.

I think the art ranges from very good to GAWD AWFUL.
    I was very surprised that some of my favorite artists made some of those images.
    Some of the coloring is well done and some of it looks like a 4 color job from the 1978 with no detail and no lighting effects.

I can't say that even the good artwork was exceptional because the overall image size was just too damn small.
    What is the advantage of having all that unutilized space on a page again?

The strangest thing to me is that some of the artists chose to show some characters who had entirely organic beast forms with their toy model underside kibbel.
    Why?

I do hope that IDW has another Beast Wars series that focuses on the 2nd and Neo characters and shows how they fit in.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I appear to be the only one reading this thread, but I'll post this anyway.

On the entry for Black Arachnia it states that she was nearly killed and the Vok created a Transmetal body for her but never gave it to her because her health recovered.
    What is that from?
    Is that from a fan fiction or was there a Tarantulas repaint called Black Arachnia that was never released?
    The entire mentioning of it seems pointless because if she never inhabited the body then it was not Black Arachnia and they didn't even bother to include a picture of it.

9. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I think that might be from the club comics a few years ago. Not sure since I dont have them.

10. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

McDonald's toy, most likely.

11. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's an attempt to incorporate the McDonalds' Happy Meal Transmetal toys. The Transmetal forms mentioned for Dinobot (mentioned, not shown) and Scorponok (shown) fall into the same category.

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info, guys.
    I guess that is also where lame asses like Rhino and Manta Ray come from.

I love Benson Yee, BWTF.com was the first Transformers website I ever went to. I think his decision to include 2nd and Neo characters was great and I hope IDW gives us more of The Pack.

But did anyone really want to see Happy Meal toys as part of official canon?
    I didn't.

The whole deal with Black Arachnia is just odd -doubly so with the absence of a picture. It's almost like saying "There was also a Happy Meal Toy".

Other Oddities:
    Optimus Primal -his Optimal Optimus gorilla form is not shown.
    Megatron -no illustrations of his Transmetal forms at all but his Crocodile form gets an entire page(?).

I would have thought it odd to see characters like B'Boom and Apache next to each other but it really is no different than seeing Prowl and Bluestreak or Starscream, Thundercracker and Skywarp together.

13. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    The writing in Sourcebook is... shakey, in my opinion, compared to Dreamwave's More Than Meets The Eye profile books.

I thought Primal's motto is terrible. Optimus Primal is (was) a nobody starship captain who was self-depreciating and didn't think of himself as a hero, yet he gets a sort of quote that makes him sound fanboyishly like Optimus Prime. Some crap about justice and freedom.

Evidently Furman and Ben Yee have never heard of the types of dinosaurs that form Magmatron.

I did. Yee specifically left out Under-3! *ANGRY*

Obscurity if fun and interesting. Transformers where everybody is a badass is boring.

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe Primal just came up with his motto after his upgrade to Optimal? It does say that some aspects of Prime's personality may have influenced Primal during their 'team-up', after all.

15. Predakwon

News Credits:
    Ebay:

In the TPB, there are B&W sketches in the extras section of the Happy Meal Blackarachnia and Dinobot.

16. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Happy Meal toys were one of the only reasons I bought this book k thnx. Especially because they were a couple of the only transformers I got/could afford back then.
    DN

17. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits: