Beast Wars Sourcebook Issue #2 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tim Formas, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    You all know the routine! This thread is for discussion of Beast Wars Sourcebook Issue #2. Go pick up the issue, come back, and talk away!

Since this is a discussion on Beast Wars Sourcebook Issue #2, people who have not read this issue yet should be aware that there are likely SPOILERS below. Read at your own risk.

2. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I got it and skimmed it at lunch.

Mostly I looked at Grimlock and Megatron's profile... It was okay but the same format issues are there with lots of empty space on the pages.

3. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I'm going to go pick up my copy in about an hour, but quick question: Where does it leave off? I know it starts with Elephorca...

4. Red Snarl

Red Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What the hell hapend to Grimlock:eek: 

5. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    Ends with Noctorro, which I guess means we start with Onyx Primal in #3.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of that piece of art. Hardhead wasn't the greatest either (thin!), so they're 0 for 3 on variations of that robot/beast form already.

Megatron was sort of disappointing as well. I loved the fact that they gave us three pages for Megatron, but two robot modes get a full page each leaving one page for the information and the two respective beast modes? I love the fact that they show us his croc form, but did we really need a full page of that art which results in no art of his Transmetal or Transmetal 2 forms?

Some pros....
    -No huge coloring errors like last issue. While some details were changed from characters we've seen in shows (like no "camo" on Gigastorm), there were no "BB is orange?!?" type errors.
    -No multi-page spreads given to characters who really didn't deserve them. Among the multi-page spreads were Ikard (second page devoted to Tako Tank) and Megatron (three pages!).
    -Nice way to explain the existance of two Magnabosses.
    -Explanation for Megatron's croc mode given! The onboard computer suggested the croc mode for Megs' alt-mode, Megatron rejected it and chose the T-Rex instead.
    - Love any description for the old Autobos who are still around (Grimlock, Ironhide, etc.)
    - Killer Punch's theories. :lolol 

Cons...
    - See Megatron comment above. Why a full page for original and croc robot modes? I'll take one each of TM and TM2 art please. Same done with Iguanus too. No TM2 mode shown (his original form art was really nice though!).
    - While some art was great, others were not. Also, art styles contrasted greatly at times with characters on the opposite page. The character on the left side of an opened issue would look greatly detailed, with minute details on body parts and with shading while the right side of the opened page would have a character where the art was "flat" with no minute details and no shading. Just kinda seemed to throw off.
    - Ironhide's bio says he's slowed down with age. Weaknesses? None known? Um, he's slow!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  6. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

Wow. Did Yee and Furman even *watch* Beast Wars II or Neo?

The bios for the Japanese characters in the first book were pretty much on the money, but this issue...what the hell happened?

Mantis being a cheerful and upbeat life of the party? The guy was a bloodthirsty loner maniac!

Hydra being confident and modest? No mention of his psychotic fear of being left alone?

Guiledart being underhanded, scheming and impossible to trust? The guy was loyal to a fault!

Hardhead being a competant drill instructor? He was borderline retarded!

No mention whatsoever of Elephorca's ability to warp time and space?

A bio on Moon with no mention of Artemis? Actually, I can let that one slide.

I'm sorry, I know they wanted to expand on the characters and add depth, but completely changing the personalities was uncalled for.

Also, Grimlock's profile art is freakin' hideus.

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    The art and coloring are a lot better this issue. I love Jetstorm, God Neptune, and Longrack!

Grimlock's shoulders are too small though.

8. Silverbolt

Silverbolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The art was bad. Even by the first issues' already low standards. No coloring errors ... but man, it's just UGLY in places. In addition to Grimlock, you can throw Mach Kick on that pile too ... he is not a squat figure. That piece makes him look like Cyb. Backstop. The proportions where wonky on several pieces, and oddly small within the frame of the page. Just really weird layout and space issues ... it looks like the interns laid this series out.

9. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dammit, I guess this just came out.

Only hit my store up once a month now, so won't see this until Thanksgiving. Still, I haven't even looked at #1 yet, so I guess I'll skim it tonight to play catch-up. Going into it with some misgivings, though, on account of feedback here.

10. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    While I like the use of unused Figures like Grimlock in the Beast Wars stories, I think it's okay to start out with the toy design, I'd like to see them reformatt them into more appropriate New versions that have more appropriate beast and robot modes if they want to use G1 characters. Heck throw transmetals/ Tm2's into the mix. It's an original story. But to tell the truth I'd rather them focus on non G1 characters.

11. ssg4life

ssg4life Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    how can you all say there's no coloring errors?! i seriously believe they might not even be paying attention to the different characters. gimlet, motorarm, lio jr, and the japanese magnaboss are done in their american counterparts' colors! the coloring problems are starting to really get on my nerves.

some of the art for this issue seemed weird, like grimlock and megatron's trex robot mode. i haven't read the whole thing yet, but i've already seen typographical errors. i really like the sourcebooks, but i really hope that they correct EVERYTHING by the time the trade is released

12. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    It's really weird... but Nick Roche's art in this was not NEARLY as nice as what we've seen from him elsewhere. I had to double check, but damn... most of the art that i think sucked in this (most, but not all) was credited to him. Damn.

Ah well, more artwork missing too. Not as much as issue one, it seems, but still. Where's the Tm and TM2 artwork for Megatron?

13. Bahamut Prime

Bahamut Prime Even Kaiba supports 'em!

Hopefully the artwork will improve in the Trade Paperback when it comes out... it better!!

14. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    THREE FUCKING PAGES for Megatron, and they couldn't fit pictures of his Transmetal OR Transmetal II bodies in? Bullshit, IDW. BulltSHIT.

15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    ...Yeah, I didn't need a full page of the Megatron gator's robot mode. The toy is half the size.

And I completely missed the JP Magnaboss coloring, as I only have the US version of the toys. I should pick those guys up, as I like the JP coloring a lot more.

16. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yup!!! I agree.

17. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

My comic shop didn't get it this week. :( 

18. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

Found the answer to my own question:

http://simonfurman.wordpress.com/2007/10/30/beasts-shot/#comments

So he's writing an encyclopedia about characters from a subject (BWII and Neo) that he's never actually seen?

Well NO WONDER the bios are all ****ed up!

19. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Yes, but this is the Comics universe for Beast Wars the events of BW II and Neo take place prior to the signing of the Pax Cybertronia and apparently events from the Anime do not play out as they do here otherwise... Well wouldn't half the Destrons and three quarters of the Cybertrons from both series be killed off? Ok so I've never seen the actual anime either and a few snippets of info from the manga/wikipedia are all I have to go on, but I'm sure character death ran rampant. Didn't it?

Keeping true to characterizations across the sea may not be entirely a good thing especially if a good three quarters of the cast were kidified idiots who couldn't accomplish a damn thing. Call me crazy, but someone who can instill confidence in his team and lead them to victory on occasion is a far cry better then the laughing stock Hardhead apparently is from what your first post seemed to indicate.

20. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Still need to get the first issue, but got this one today and flicked through it.

Was disapointed to see the Transmetal & TM2 upgrades passed over on Iguanus and especially Megatron. There is no excuse for that and just lazyness on IDW's part.

Hellscream's shark mode just looked like a mess, Grimlock looked like he had Prime's head

I did however like the mention of the Celestial's in Moon's bio.