Beast Wars Sourcebook #1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tim Formas, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    A few things to note; even though they're already been touched upon. Characters and alt mode were way too small. Some modes being left out entirely? WTF? Coloring was off on a lot of characters. Mismatch of the character to beast mode pics (Cycbershark). The character choices for the two page spreads? Weird.

I get the vibe that all three Transformers comics were rushed out today. This was the worst of the bunch for me because I never managed to snag any profile books previously so I was pumped for this. And all and all it was a terrible let down.

2. CrockAlley

CrockAlley Gween donkey! Mine!

Ditto.

3. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Another thing that was strange was Cheetors profile. It had one artist for his robot mode, which looked more realistic. But then his cheetah mode pic was very cartoony looking. Keep it consistent IDW please!

4. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Maybe if someone hired Drew Eiden to color the books, they wouldn't have dropped the ball. Is IDW getting sloppy?

5. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    Seems they are. Even Devastation seemed rushed in both pencils and colors. I've never been a fan Su, but his panels could always tell a story. In Devastation it's as if they told him the book was due in half the time it usually takes. I actually picked up the Roche cover because it some amazing colors. Reminded me of a Don cover.

I'm just really let down by the Beast War books, especially this one. I'm optimistic that they might fix this in a reprint or up coming trade, or hell even explain what happened and how this got to printing with some many errors in it.

6. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I picked it up and am unimpressed. I was never into the extended Beast Warts stories.... Just the cartoon. I was looking forward to learning about the various odd Fuzors, transmetals and the like. However, the biographies were very short. I wanted more text. Also the art was not to the highest standard in consistency or representation. Show every mode if there is more than two. Keep the art consistent. The Marvel G1 Universe book was a better read, was a better use of page space and more consistent than this. I hope #2 and #3 improve.

7. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Sorry, waaaaay worse than DW's books. Super small artwork, kind of took all of the joy out of it. I skimmed threw it and tossed it to the side. I won't be getting any more issues, maybe the TPB instead. If they make the art worth looking at.

8. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

Ben Yee sends his apologies.

He says he'll try and get at least BB's colorscheme fixed for the trade release. A couple other interesting notes on why he did what he did.

Over all, I thought the first installment was alright, minus the grievances that have already been mentioned. I noticed Simon nicked my motto for Autocrusher/crasher from those old BWII Universe profiles I wrote years ago. Kinda wish he hadn't read them, since those profiles of mine sucked.

9. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That was a great little read. I really do hope these profiles are fixed in a TPB. As a fan, I love Sourcebooks and I love the Beast Wars even more! I know I'm not alone on that, and I hope IDW realizes that.

I take it this is another four issue series? Can't IDW go beyond that??

10. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    3 issues. And Infiltration, Escalation and Devastation have all been 6 issues. Unless you meant the Beast books of course.

11. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey, I just thought of something-- where's Barbearian?

12. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I figure we'll see him as Grizzly-1 in issue 2.
    DN

13. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Reading Ben Yee's comments makes me a little hopeful that the trade will include all of the remaining pictures....

Chris

14. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I stopped reading those after Stormbringer (which was 4 issues right?). BW was the only other that I've read. IDW's had a hard time keeping my attention

Though I do appreciate all the hardwork they've done in providing everyone with Transformers comics

15. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is four issues, no? That's what it says on the back cover.....

16. Octane

Octane Soul Crusher

I enjoyed the book. I liked reading about the Seacon Pirates and a little more about the Japanese figures. Sure I know who they are and I saw the shows. but this delves deeper into what they are.

I saw most of the errors people have commented upon. BB took me by surpise, and the mixed up robot/alt mode pics were strange. Honestly, Blackarachnia and Dinobots Transmetal1 forms stumped me at first. What bothered the most was Double Punch out of order. Is mine the only one? Nobody commented on it?

17. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I guess the editor just didn't want Drill Nuts AND Drill Bit RIGHT next to each other. Being the same mold, same artist, etc.
    DN

18. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

Dan Khanna just chimmed in worth more bad news about the book.

Apparantly they got a ton of the art credits wrong, creditting him for a lot of art he didn't do and likely doing the same with others.

Man, and I didn't think IDW could screw a book up more than their Transformers the Animated Movie adaptation, but here we are.

19. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Hmmm, although I'm a huge BW fan, judging from most of everyone's comments I think I'll wait for the inevitable tpb.

20. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think they should've made the mcdonalds toys more like the Power Dashers in MTMTE. Give all of them one page and they should've just been maintenance, sparkless, bots to help out here and there