Minor/Repaint: Beast wars Silverbolt wing mod

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by danbo, Apr 24, 2009.

1. danbo

danbo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This was my first mod for Beast Wars Silverbolt. He's a Great toy but i didnt like the way his wings sat, it was Awkward and cumbersome.
    So i took him apart to see what i could do about it.
    It was tricky because i still wanted him to transform properly and also i didnt want to have to make too many alterations (so if i fluffed it up i could just glue in back together no harm no foul).
    It took a bit of cutting wth a craft knife,(almost took my fingers off) and i used part of Animated Ratchet's hammer to make the mount for the pin to swivel on.
    (it can be seen in one of the pics)
    and in an amazing bit of luck it actually worked! and fit perfectly.
    i know some of the plastic is still a little rough and he's a touch gappy, but i can overlook that!
    I'd appreciate to hear what other people think, this is the first mod i've done and i'm pretty pleased with it, not sure where my bravery came from but i'm so glad i did it!

Attached Files:

2. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    that's awesome man, i've always wanted him to be able to do that...

3. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

I think you did an excellent job. Thankfully, you didn't lose any fingers.

Not to burst your bubble, but your not the first to do this. The Lukis bro's (at unicron.com. the guys who gave us the "BM accessory pack", "Vector Sigma" and the new "animated accessories") did something simular, back in the BW heyday, but their tutorial seemed more complicated than you made it sound. I think they still have links to their customs but I may be wrong. I haven't been there recently.

It just shows that great minds, think alike.

Nice to see someone else doing some customs from the BW/BM era.

4. danbo

danbo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cheers for the comments guys.. i must admit i did look for other people who have done something similar, i did find theunicron tutorial, but i found it a little too invasive (and also complex for my ameteur skills) and i wasn't brave enough to play around with the figure that much. wish i could pain like them though, The Silverbolt face repaint is awesome!

i know.. all i have really seen lately are animated repaints to look like BW characters. althouh some of these are stunning, i love nemesispredakings Transmetals 2 Dinobot lockdown repaint

5. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Silverbolt is looking good now. I really like the paint job too. Did you just repaint the entire wing or did you really match the factory paint app. that perfectly? If you did match it, you are amazing!

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I think you did a really nice job here. Welcome aboard. :)  I remember thinking the same thing when I did my first mod, which was the cyb. downshift head mod... "what made me just up and do that?" :lol 

7. danbo

danbo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    lol.. thanks for the praise and i wish i could take credit for it all. but no i didnt paint it, it's how it came, got it off ebay, might try to paint the missile at some point though!

8. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

OOhh.:dunce  I thought that you had painted the missiles and the one in his hands was just an extra, but looking back at your pictures I can see the spot where the missile should go. Anyway, I can't believe that Silverbolt can't move his wings like this without modification. It's his signature pose! I'm diggin' this mod. I think this summer I'm going to pull out my Beast Wars figures and mod them (finally). I might have to pick up a Silverbolt on ebay and do a similar mod.

9. danbo

danbo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i know it's crazy and in all fairness it only involves putting one pin in. it makes me wonder if it was an idea they had originally but then took it out for various reasons.
    silverbolt is def worth picking up though he's probs my fave of the old beasties..
    i'm desperate to find a mod for transmetal rattrap so his wheels can swing round the right way

10. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this is really cool, great mod. Wish I woulda thought of doing something like this. Did you use the hinge from ani. ratchets back pack?? is that the part you were talking about?

11. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

I kind of want to know how to do the rattrap mod myself. tell me if you find anything.

12. danbo

danbo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    for the pin i used a small nail.. all i could find.. if you look in the pic of the top view the black block is the hammer taken from animated ratchet. i just cut off the head of the hammer. tbh you could use anything it's only in there to provide support and give an axis for the pin to swivel on, but i had a spare hammer lying around!

if anyone wants to know in more detail how to do it i'll try and deconstruct my SB and see if i can get some kind of picture tutorial together

13. danbo

danbo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i have seen a couple of images of a more show accurate rattrap, but the methods destroy the transformation. i haven't yet seen one where the toy stays in one piece. it seemed to involve taking everything off the ball joints and taking out screws just to switch it to robot mode.

ya know i demand a new rattrap! universe transmetal rattrap!

14. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Hell yeah!! Classics Universe Transmetal Rattrap!! :rock  I have no idea how they could make the back flip around but it would be sweet. We should start a petition. I think I'll give some thought to a mod later but I'm really okay with it being upside down. I think the figure is really show accurate other than that and the face. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head to fix it is to make it so all the pieces detach and reattach to the torso.

15. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Yes please! Radicons need more WIP threads and pics. The finished products are great and all but you really learn everything by looking at the WIP threads and pics.

great job on this mod! I might do this myself if I ever get around all my other customs.

iDD

16. rmac-69

rmac-69 TF HUNTER

Just want to say thanks for the small tutorial. I got mine done last night and I love it! :thumbs2: