Beast wars show had ties with Beast wars japanese shows ?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by sevenlima, Jan 17, 2018.

1. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Could the american beast wars had ties with Bw II and Neo ?

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Not really. The (actually Canadian) Beast Wars show was written too far ahead of the Japanese material for them to take any of it into account. The Beast Wars II "movie" does feature a guest appearance by Optimus Primal though.

• Like Like x 3
  3. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

News Credits:
    A prevalent idea at the time was that the BWII/Neo guys were contemporaries of Optimus Primal and Megatron, both being from the same distant future. I think that's how it was even originally envisioned. But eventually the story reveals that Lio Convoy and co. are actually from a distant future even relevant to the regular Beast Wars show (and so it doesn't really reference any events from it at all). In a special BWII movie, Optimus Primal makes a special guest appearance and is treated as this legendary hero of the past. So technically they are in continuity, but far, far ahead of things. The regular Beast Wars show itself was never written in a way that would compliment the Japanese shows.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

Well that’s kind of true at the time the film was made and released that actually wasn’t intended on being Optimus primal

At the time in question the Japanese show creators we’re under the mistaken belief that primal was actually G1 Optimus prime or in other words convoy

• Like Like x 1
  5. flamepanther

He was still Optimus Primal. The writers were using the leader character from Beast Wars, even if they thought that character was also the leader character from most of G1 and G2. And since the movie isn't written in a way that requires or indicates him to be the G1 guy, this is just an interesting detail that doesn't really matter.

As a similar but opposite example, Galvatron is still Galvatron regardless whether or not we know he's also Megatron (although anyone writing without knowing that might create some continuity problems).

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Altered Prime

if you feel it doesn’t matter that’s cool but I don’t share the same opinion

When they wrote the story they were under the impression that the leader in baseboards was indeed the very same character that was the leader in G1
    Wouldn’t that depend on the continuity?

Not every Galvatron from every continuity was once Megatron

And if were talking G1 he certainly knew

7. flamepanther

But if they knew, would it have made a difference?
    Yes, but doesn't that support the idea that Galvatron is Galvatron regardless?
    He did. But it's not referenced in every episode. So if a writer was unaware, and wrote an episode without knowing... would it matter? Supposing it doesn't contradict what the rest of us know, and he's written the same way Galvatron was written in the rest of Season 3, how would we ever even know?

Or let's say we're writing a story about Optimus Prime. Assume we're writing for a new continuity where Optimus is portrayed along the same lines as in most G1 variants. As we're writing, maybe we assume that this Optimus is also Orion Pax. But later it turns out he was Optronix in this universe. Or maybe it turns out he's some new guy, or was never anyone else but Optimus Prime. If we wrote something that references the Orion Pax origin, then that would certainly matter. But if we don't reference any backstory and the characterization is unaffected, then whatever backstory we had in mind is irrelevant.

8. Altered Prime

I’ll answer that to 2 ways

Based on the story the way it was written doesn’t make a difference? No

But should it have made a difference? Hell yes

It’s lazy writing that made it so that it made no difference let me give you a quick example I don’t know if you are a comic book fan but there have been several superman stories that place superman still being alive in the very far future sometimes 1000 years in the future sometimes more, It would change the story greatly if they were trying to round in a few years and tell us all that wasn’t the real Superman that was his great grandson

In a story characters shouldn’t be so easily interchangeable

not sure I understand that question
    why would it be? It’s not needed to be all the time
    Depends on the story I mean think about it this way what if that rwriter who didn’t know wrote the story that had Megatron meeting Galvatrons in the present day

9. flamepanther

I don't disagree with you there, but we got what we got.
    Right. That info isn't always relevant. Sorta like it's not relevant in the BW movie :) 
    Right again. It would matter if, and only if:
    a) the story being written treads on territory covered by the character's backstory; and/or
    b) the character's portrayal differs somehow because of said backstory or lack of it.

10. Markdelg

Markdelg Spin Road fan

News Credits:
    The confusion stems from many discrepancies between BW and the Japanese shows. Japan only got the first season of BW before producing both BWII and BW Neo. And with only the first season and the early toy bios to work from, Japan assumed that:

a.) The two leader characters were both G1 Convoy and G1 Megatron in new bodies (hence the singular name "Convoy" for the former) and

b.) That both characters from BW and BWII/Neo came from the same future time of 10,000 years after the G1 cartoon.

By the time Japan produced the "Lio Convoy in Imminent Danger" movie, they still considered (Beast) Convoy to be G1 Convoy, although now he was depicted as being from the distant past (i.e. the "regular" American BW time of 300 years after the G1 cartoon.) And then by the 2nd and 3rd season of BW and Beast Machines, they realized that (Beast) Convoy was not G1 Convoy, but he still retained the rank of Supreme Commander (which Optimus Primal did not in the American version.)

(BTW, the Galvatron of BWII/Neo was never meant to be the same guy as G1 Galvatron.)

So the Japanese BW shows don't really mesh with the American BW show, only with its Japanese-language equivalent (whose characters sound and act nothing like they do in the American version.)

11. DeletedUser_119270

DeletedUser_119270 Guest

12. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

One would have thought, what with all those conflicting continuities running about, they would at least spend a day or do watching the other shows to avoide such things....

13. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    The way I see it: the original BW show has NO connection to the japanese shows but the japanase BW do. Weird, right? xD

• Like Like x 1
  14. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I know we have a Japanese continuity chart, but it would really be helpfull to know which series fits after which comic bom bom story and which legends online comic that ties into which short 80's textstory that ties into which obscure pack in comic.

15. Markdelg

Markdelg Spin Road fan

News Credits:
    Probably sometime this summer I'm going to try to write a new timeline with how the Legends manga fits in to it, and presumably how the other media also ties in.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Great Genesic Rayserver

Great Genesic Rayserver Well-Known Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    Japanese G1 continuity is something no one can handle, you're crazy!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Nobody has dared attempt this and returned with their life and sanity intact.
    Are you sure you are up to the challenge?
    Only one who is pure at heart and of a noble mind can handle the JPG1.

18. Markdelg

Markdelg Spin Road fan

News Credits:
    I originally wanted to do it to complement the Japanese G1 fanfic I'm writing (which takes place after Operation Combination but before G-2) since anything in the Legends manga could possibly contradict my ideas (but so far so good...)

19. Altered Prime

“ The actual Canadian beast wars? “

Not to burst anybody’s national pride but beast wars was not a Canadian cartoon

True a Canadian company did the animation but that’s no different then how Japanese companies animated G one, but G1 was not a Japanese cartoon

20. Altered Prime

Yeah because of bad writing