Beast Wars: Season 1 - Problems

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Jan 15, 2009.

1. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    I recently decided to re-watch all of Beast Wars and Beast Machines and just finished the first season of Beast Wars (thanks to a snow day that made it so I didnt have to go teach today). Just thought I would sum up the biggest problems I have with season 1, as well as the things I really liked. Before people get too upset...I AGREE that Beast Wars is one of, if not the best transformers show in existence. But, alas nothing is perfect.

Plot problems.

Too Many Traitors!!!!! I can't stand the fact that they were so obsessed with playing the whole treachery/traitor card. Having one character who is a traitor is one thing but it gets old when you have Tarantulas, Black Arachnia, Waspinator, Dinobot, AND Terrorsaur all have traitor like story angles. The only character that doesnt try to stab Megatron in the back is Scorponok. I mean I realize that they were trying to have that starscream like character in the show somehow but you didnt have to try it with every single Predacon and then even feel the need to bring Starscream back himself. Gets old after a while sorry.

Too Many Double Agents!!!! The clone/double agent type plot line is fine if used sparingly. However, in the first season we had to see it with Dinobot's clone, Rattrap and Rhinox. No, one had any better ideas for storylines??

Beast mode vs robot mode....For some reason it bugs me to no end when there is a group of 4 or 5 characters having a discussion and all but one of them are in robot mode or vice versa. Just a pet peeve I guess.

Just Bad Scenes: Predacons carrying Megatron on the chair through the jungle was ridiculous, especially in an otherwise decent episode. Rhinox meditating so he can sense where the predacons are so the blind maximals can shoot them...give me a break.

Beast Modes - Absolutely hate the beast modes for Optimus Primal and Megatron. The leaders should have the most kick*ss beast modes out of the bunch not the dumbest looking ones. Besides rattrap, every other character in Season 1 I happen to like their beast modes.

Robot Modes - Love Optimus Primals, Tarantulas, and pretty much everyone elses robot mode. In fact, the only robot mode I dislike is again, Megatrons.

Voices - Love Waspinator and Optimus Primal as well as many others. But, for the trifecta - Can't stand Megatron's voice acting.

Episodes -

Good ones: Beast Wars Part 1 & 2, Power Surge, Equal Measures, Fallen Comrades, The Probe, The Spark, The Trigger part 1 & 2, Spiders Game, Possession, Before the Storm, and Other Voices part 1 & 2

Bad Ones: Double Jeopardy, Gorilla Warfare, Dark Designs, Double Dinobot, Call of the Wild, Dark Voyage, Low Road, and Law of the Jungle

Writers - I noticed that not one episode that was written by Lawrence DiTillio made it in my bad episode section. I must like his writing

Would love to here some other people's takes on some of these things...

2. Deadpool.

Deadpool. I want my bird.

News Credits:
    I gotta agree that the whole Rhinox-meditation thing was dumb. And Double Dinobot... How could Megs have cloned Dinobot's beast mode, but with his exact voice but no robot mode?! And how did Dinobot eat the clone at the end?

Other than that, it's pretty enjoyable IMO.

And David Kaye doing Meg's voice was awesome.

As for Primal/Gorilla and Megatron/T-Rex, I believe that it was intentionally meant to allude to King Kong in a sense.

And Rattrap/Rhinox were actual double agents in a sense. Rhinox was converted against his will. As for Rattrap, it was just a one-off thing. Unlike G1 Counterpunch/Punch.

As for the traitor concept, what were you hoping for? Preds who were all so caring and helping each other out with noble intentions and undying loyalty? XD

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Non-TM Munky Primal was the best thing ever, so I have no idea what you're on.

I liked Megatron as a T-rex a lot, but he got way cooler when he went Transmetal.

The traitor bit was to show us that unlike in G1, traitors didn't have to be guys who went around shouting it in peoples ears like that guy on the subway who talks about God-knows-what 'cuz he's got no teeth. Not everybody was as evil or noble as they let on.

Rattrap. I have no idea how you can find anything wrong with him. He's a wise-ass, he's a fuzzy ratty-fat, and he's badass. The worst thing he did was survive into BM, and even then he was still a good character. (but just "good", not badass like BW Rattrap)

That's actually kinda a given, when you think about it. Megs cloned his flesh (obtained from battle, most likely) but obviously did not have components to build a robot structure, so he gave him just a cybernetic brain in a clone raptor body. Megs would've had SOME record of Dinobot's voice to copy and synthesize, so that's not hard to explain. It also set up for the cyber-raptors that would come along later. (obviously Megatron kept his beast form's DNA for later use)

the makers had made clear in interviews and such back then taht all the characters, like teh Autobots, were fully functioning versions of their altmodes when transformed. Thye ate a lot back then, mostly for the act rather than for nurishment, as Tarantulas once said. (which is what Energon was for)

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Primal amd Meg's beast owe to the scene in King Kong where Kong fights the T-Rex. Originally, Primal was meant to be the size of Kong so that would've made a whole lot more sense.

I liked the traitor aspect of Beast Wars. BA was at heart a maximal so her traitorous actions makes sense. Tarantulas was an agent of Unicron so his actions make sense. Terrorsaur was the Starscream of Beast Wars and Dinobot was the conflicted hero at heart. And they're a renegade group of Predacrons, more like Pirates than members of an army, so it actually makes sense that they would back stab each other constantly.

Some things are silly, but hey its a kids show...gotta take the good with the bad.

5. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I don't see any problems except for too much of Cheetor being stupid, but we get that the whole series. But I would take him over Nightscream ANY day.

6. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Wait.
    How is a T-rex not more badass than a wasp?

7. Deadpool.

Deadpool. I want my bird.

News Credits:
    Ah, got it. Still strange that they can actually process organic food/matter, since they're still Cybertronians...

8. Spoon

Spoon Banned

I'm not so sure about Season 1, but in Season 2, Larry Ditillio was shit. Other Visits was so poorly written, the characters were all hammy and crap.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I edited my post with the rest of my response. I do that because I get side-tracked by shit. Unfortunately, I can't get a reference as the source has been lost to the interweb sands of time, and BWTF is STILL down. (which is where I got it from)

The writting in BW was never shit. Though I kinda agree, I'm not a huge fan of Other Visits.

10. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    I wasnt saying the idea of a T-Rex and a Gorilla was bad. To me it makes perfect sense that those two would be chosen for the leaders. Also, obviously a T-Rex is more badass than a wasp. My problem was not with the idea but with the execution. The actual look and animation of the gorilla and t-rex is what I dislike.

I had no problem with Ratrap but his animal form bugged me until he got his transmetal look.

I am sorry, I know I am in the minority here but even though I loved the first season of Beast Wars, I hated everything about Megatron. I hated his beast mode, his robot mode, and could not stand the voice acting chosen and performed for him. I was very happy when he became a transmetal, at that point the voice was the only thing that was still bugging me.

I agree that it made sense to have traitors etc. It just seemed to me that in 26 episodes it should not have been used as much as it was. I was fine with Terrorsaur being a backstabbing starscream type character. I probably would have been fine with Tarantulas as well. But when every other character is given the same gimmick it disturbs me. And please dont insult me. I realize they cant be some hunky dorey peac love and happiness group. BUT there are many other bad personality traits that could have been used in the place of treachery and deceit.

I forgot to put this in my original post but like all transformers series there was also the whole scale issue. Inferno seemed absolutely huge for his insect form.

11. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Wow, that seems to be a very narrowminded look. I love beast wars but are you saying that there was only one problem with the whole first season?? It wasn't perfect...

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Actually, I think she just doesn't see them as problems like you do. None of your problems are really problems, just stuff you don't like. In fact, your comment there is much more narrowminded then hers.

13. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    I guess if you want to split hairs then you are correct. I am sorry i used the word 'problem'. The narrowmindedness I am talking about is liking something wholeheartedly without being able to look at it from an analytical view and at least find some flaws in the story/product.

I would never be silly enough to claim that any story/show etc was without 'problems' or 'faults'. Every one of my favorite cartoons, movies, etc I can point out flaws in.

Could you clarify how that makes me the narrow minded one???

14. smkspy

Don't think anyone has insulted you. You hate everything Season 1 Megatron, which is fine cause its YOUR opinion. However, the opinions of many others (myself included) is that they loved Season 1 Megs and its natural that they're gonna express that opinion in contrast to yours. I can understand not liking the animation models for OP and Megs, but back then that was pretty advanced for a cartoon and they were working on an extremely limited budget.

And again, I don't think you're taking into account the very limiting controls placed on Beast Wars as a series. A very small cast of character meant very limited plots. Obviously, the Maximals weren't going to betray each other constantly so it was up to the Predacons to prove some dramatic tension and shake-ups. Its also the reason for all the episodes where Maximals were cloned or "became" evil. The characters had to play off one another because computer modeling was expensive. Frankly, I think the writers did a hell of a job with the limited reasources they had to work with.

I really don't get your complains against Inferno. His scale comes across quite right in comparison to Cheetor, Tigatron, Airrazor, and Dinobot. They go from animals with slim limbs to Robots with thick legs. No way you could get those robots from their beast modes, but you are right about scale.

15. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    I agree with most of what you say. The part that I took as an insult was the post asking if I wanted the bad guys to sit around and sing carols with each other.

I guess my issue with Inferno was that at least with Rattrap they shrink him down a little in beast mode to be smaller as a rat than the cheetah, tiger, raptor. Inferno is a Fire Ant but in beast mode is bigger than pretty much all the other characters. He should be made more like rattraps size. A similar problem, in my opinion, is with waspinator's size. But, it doesnt really bug me that much because I understand if it was correct to scale it would probably even look more goofy, and there is a need for them to all be similar size regardless of what 'beast' they were based on.

I hope my point in posting this thread has not been misunderstood. I realize I was just posting my opinions. I was hoping that we could take a very awesome transformers season like season 1 of Beast Wars was, and pick apart some of the negative parts of it in a in depth discussion. I guess I got a little upset that instead I recieved some of the - "Beast Wars is awesome and there is nothing wrong with it and your silly for thinking anything was wrong with it" responses. Sorry, though I still shouldnt get upset about stuff like that...

16. smkspy

I get what your saying about Inferno's size in comparison to say Rattrap. Really, there is no rhyme or reason to a character's size in the series. Inferno was made larger because he was a mega sized figure in the toy line, but Optimus was made a normal sized Gorilla despite his Ultra sized toy. Smaller animal characters had to be larger than a normal animal/insect, but how large? Look at how large Rampage is, and he's just a crab Basicly, it came down to show creators in some instances and Hasbro in other instance for character size on the show. .

Ultimately, at least for me, I just write off the "negative" aspects such as scale or random silliness to the reality of being an adult that enjoys children's television.

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    But she does have flaws, Cheetor being stupid. You ahve to understand that, as much as this may sound bizzare, peopel CAN liek everything about a series. I know, it's freaky, but play along.

By assuming that people CAN'T like a series totally and calling them names for doing so is a start.

Also, I actually though the morphing and mass-shifting of BW was cool (I still think that the typical part conversion plus mass shifting is kinda cool), and always wished the toys had rubber parts or something to replicate it.

18. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Where did I call her a name?? I simply referred to that fact that I thought it was a narrow-minded look at Season1 - never called her a name though...

I am impressed with someone being able to look at something like a show/story as altogether perfect. However, if thats what someones opinion is...then so be it. Just glad it isnt how I view things I guess. I dont think that makes me narrow minded at all though in reality...

19. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    That's right I don't have one problem with anything that happened in Beast Wars, I am oblivious to all the problems because the show was that awesome. How's that? I can think that, It's been a little over 10 years since I first saw Beast Wars and I still love it, and believe it is awesome. You stated there were problems, I stated I didn't think those were problems, I found something else that was a problem.

I will sum up my problem with a short comic (not mine)

[​IMG]

:lolol 

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    You called her narrowminded. That's calling her a name, dude.

Now you're being presumptuous.

:lolol