Beast Wars: Screentime

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Slyest Fox, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Slyest Fox

Slyest Fox Well-Known Member

Beast Wars: Screentime - UPDATE: MAXIMALS COMPLETE

This is something I've wanted to do for years to confirm some theories and I've always been intimidated by how much work it seems, but getting jazzed about Beast Wars again as a result of my 25 characters list, I've decided to give it a shot. Will probably take me a long time to finish...

I'm looking at how much screentime all the characters get in the series. It's hard work, essentially watching the episodes with a bunch of stop watches, so it's not very scientific, but it's the best I can do. The reason has been to confirm some theories I've had.

So far, I'm through The Trigger (Part 2) on the Maximals. My plan is to do the Maximals of one season, then the Predacons, then move on to the next. Alternately, I might do the Maximals of the whole series and then the Predacons, but we'll see how I feel.

Current Standings (#1.01 - #1.17)

1. Rattrap:154 minutes, 42 seconds (2:34:42) - 17 episodes
    2. Cheetor: 149 minutes, 26 seconds (2:29:26) - 17 episodes
    3. Optimus Primal: 139 minutes, 16 seconds (2:19:16) - 17 episodes
    4. Rhinox: 129 minutes, 43 seconds (2:09:43) - 17 episodes
    5. Dinobot: 126 minutes, 8 seconds (2:06:08) - 15 episodes
    6. Tigatron: 40 minutes, 16 seconds (40:16) - 7 episodes
    7. Airazor: 10 minutes, 31 seconds (10:31) - 3 episodes

Confirmed for me (so far) is my general theory that I think when all is said and done, Rattrap and Cheetor will be the most appearing characters in this series and they are up front. However, I had thought Dinobot would be ahead of Optimus and Rhinox, for sure, in Season 1 and yet he's behind them, hampered by the fact that he's missed two episodes so far and none of the others have.

Anyway, I find this kind of stuff very interesting, hopefully some of you do too. If any of you have any questions relating to who appeared most in a given episode or whatnot or who want the series broken down by episodes, feel free to ask. Some things I'll be looking for, in addition to the totals, is how things compare season to season. Do Rattrap and Rhinox indeed go way down in Season 3 screentime wise? Does Blackarachnia actually get as overexposed in that season as she's accused of, or is it in our heads? Etcetera

UPDATE: MAXIMALS COMPLETE

1. Rattrap: 378 minutes, 11 seconds (6:18:11) - 48 episodes
    2. Optimus Primal: 341 minutes, 5 seconds (5:41:05) - 50 episodes
    3. Cheetor: 337 minutes, 38 seconds (5:37:38) - 49 episodes
    4. Rhinox: 264 minutes, 34 seconds (4:24:34) - 49 episodes
    5. Dinobot: 240 minutes, 11 seconds (4:00:11) - 31 episodes
    6. Silverbolt: 135 minutes, 2 seconds (2:15:02) - 22 episodes
    7. Tigatron: 93 minutes, 16 seconds (1:33:16) [100 minutes, 31 seconds including Tigerhawk] - 19 episodes [21 episodes including Tigerhawk]
    8. Airazor: 48 minutes, 39 seconds [55 minutes, 54 seconds including Tigerhawk] - 14 episodes [16 episodes including Tigerhawk]
    9. Depth Charge: 39 minutes, 54 seconds - 7 episodes
    10. Tigerhawk: 15 minutes, 18 seconds - 3 episodes

2. Nope

Nope Predacon

News Credits:
    This should be very interesting. Can't wait to see it completed.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    An interesting bit of trivia. Keep it up!

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Damn dude, you have my (energon) sword. :) 

5. Una

Una Well-Known Member

This is fasicnating, Slyest Fox, and also interesting. Can't wait to see it completed. ;) 

6. Slyest Fox

Haha, I'm glad to see other people are interested in this too. Makes me feel sliiiightly less nerdy to re-watch it this way, but I've got to break in my new Beast Wars set some way!

7. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    Very cool!!!!

8. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

And my bow!

9. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, dude. Your nerd cred is through the roof right now. :thumb 

It reminds me of a chart I made back when the series was in its first airings and I was trying to figure out which voice actors were voicing which characters. Of course, it was much easier to figure out the secondary and tertiary characters than the primaries. I don't think I had any idea McNeil was doing so many voices until years later. He was in every episode!

10. Slyest Fox

Yup, the only voice actor who can say that too. In fact, in every episode but one he was playing at least two characters. Only Spider's Game saw him playing just one - Waspinator.

11. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Interesting, I look forward to seeing the results.

I had no idea that Dinobot didn't really have as much screen time as Rhinox, but then these results are only half way through season 1

12. Slyest Fox

Yeah, I thought Rhinox would be way behind the other four, but he's actually holding his own pretty well. Of course, this can be misleading. There's a lot of scenes at the base where Rhinox is present just standing around. Also, if you account for the fact that Dinobot is only three minutes behind Rhinox but has missed two episodes while Rhinox hasn't missed any, I'm sure Dinobot is doing better in an episode by episode basis.

13. Slyest Fox

Episode Totals through Dark Voyage.

(#1.01-#1.20)
    1. Rattrap:176 minutes, 58 seconds (2:56:58) - 19 episodes
    2. Cheetor: 169 minutes, 32 seconds (2:49:32) - 19 episodes
    3. Rhinox: 153 minutes, 20 seconds (2:33:20) - 20 episodes
    4. Optimus Primal: 152 minutes, 10 seconds (2:32:10) - 20 episodes
    5. Dinobot: 144 minutes, 29 seconds (2:24:29) - 17 episodes
    6. Tigatron: 52 minutes, 09 seconds (52:09) - 10 episodes
    7. Airazor: 18 minutes, 42 seconds (18:42) - 5 episodes

Rattrap's lead widens just a tad, and Rhinox passes over Optimus. Things just keep going better and better for Rhinox. Along with Optimus he's the only one to not miss an episode, and Optimus was put in a difficult position because of the three episodes added, only Call of the Wild featured him significantly, while he barely appeared in Spider's Game and Dark Voyage. Rhinox, on the other hand, had tons of screentime in Dark Voyage, and not much less in either of the other two, allowing him to pass Optimus up.

Just six episodes left this season. The way things are now, based on what's left, I'd say it's still possible for Dinobot, Rhinox and Optimus to exchange roles in really any order - significantly, Dinobot and Optimus will not miss any more episodes this season, while Rhinox has one to miss. Still, while those three can make things up, my guess is there's nothing that can be done to keep Rattrap from first place and Cheetor from second. Both have an episode yet to miss, but Cheetor has no real starring episodes left while Rattrap still has Low Road and a sizable role in Other Voices 1.

14. Ultra Lagmus

Ultra Lagmus Well-Known Member

It's nerdy, but it's damn cool!! If it makes you feel any better, I did a pen & paper checklist of character appearances and object appearances (like Scorponok's Cyberbee) in each episode to see who appeared most. I later put it into a spreadsheet. I did that back around 99-00. Did the same for Beast Machines. Don't feel self-conscious; the internet and much of its data-heavy content was built by nerds and often there are a lot of silent lurkers who appreciate it, or people who in years may come along, wondering this question (screentime) and would be very grateful somebody actually compiled the info.

I am very curious for the findings. When you get to the end of the 52 episodes, you may want to have 2 numbers for each character. Total time and then total time/# episodes they appeared in. Obviously Season 3's cast will have the lowest time totals, but it would be interesting to see if they were used less than say Tigatron, Airrazor.

15. Slyest Fox

Yeah, I'll definitely average their appearances by episode, I'll be curious about that too. It will definitely help people like Depth Charge who didn't appear in many episodes but tended to have very significant roles in the ones he appeared in.

16. Kalel

Kalel C-Mac

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    never really thought about this, but im interested nonetheless

17. Slyest Fox

Before this goes too far, I'm going to try to lock in my predictions for top 10 most appearing characters, when all is said and done:

1. Cheetor
    2. Rattrap
    3. Megatron
    4. Optimus Primal
    5. Blackarachnia
    6. Rhinox
    7. Waspinator
    8. Tarantulas
    9. Dinobot
    10. Silverbolt

18. supernova222

supernova222 Circle of Light

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    waspinator will beat them all, lol

19. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    A very noble quest, good sir. I did a similar thing with the Bayformers robots (and several other movie characters in various movies). There's just something fun about comparing those numbers, eh? :) 

Darn straight it's cool!

20. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Interesting. Are you going to lump
    Dinobot II in with Dinobot's
    screentime or keep them seperate? I know it's silly to add the spoiler tags, but just to be safe.