Beast Wars Reborn BWR-01 (Review)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Terrorcon0, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Terrorcon0

Terrorcon0 Transformers Rock Star!!!

News Credits:
    Hello every one. Just received my BWR-01 set by DHL this afternoon. What a set. For those thring to figure whether or not go get this set and you loved everything about Beast Wars this set is a must. Well I am going to do a quick review on this set so here it goes.

BOX:
    First note the Beast Wars Logo on the front of the box is reflective silver chrome. As is the Beast Wars Reborn logo underneath it. The box is about 7 inches long, 13 inches wide and about 4 inches deep. The back ground is a darked maroon reptillion skin which is really nice.

Inside the BOX:
    I pulled the figures to get a closer look and note that the cardboard tray that the plastic tray sits in is awesome. Half the side on the left is red and then changes as you move right becomes purple. The nice part is that there are original character busts of all the original Japanese CGI art from the Takara boxes. There is Optimus Primal(bat version) Megatron (gator version) Cheetor, Inferno, Blackarachnia, Rhinox, Tarantulas, Rattrap, Wolfang, Polarclaw, Scorponok, Terrorsaur, Tigatron, and a couple of others too.

The Figures Robot modes:
    First off Beast Convoy or Optimus Primal which ever you prefer. Is just as the original but not. The plastic is a metalic silvery chocolate coloring not really a brown mind you. Which covers all the areas that were black on the original. His pistons on his feet are red about half way down and then the color is a very dark charcoal color covering all of his feet. Same color for the fist as well. Many of the parts are as the same except for the chest and the newly sculpted head. Which makes Primal look even more show accurate. The chest is a metalic gray and metalic silver color. Primals head is in one word AWESOME. Looks just like Optimus. The main head is Metallic blue in color the mouth is flat gray. The blades on either side of his head are very nice and very cool addition. There is now 2 blades on each side. The eyes are really cool it looks like Primal has his eyes on you.

Now on to Megatron which is also the same as the original except for the rescupted head. The plastic used for this figure is a metalic purple with black and silver accents. The sholders and front of the legs are a metalic sea color green. The chest looks killer making Megatron look more like the show version. The head is awsome too, he has metalic purple on the face and darker purple on the top of his head. with a very interesting smirk on his face. Now I would go into the eyes, but I just noticed that my Megatron has no eyes.. No this is not an error in typing, Megatron has no eyes!! I guess the workers for Takara miss this one or something but it looks rather strange looking into Megatron head, instead of him looking at you. Does this make my set rare?
    Well with or without eyes he is still a great figure.

Now Beast Modes:
    Primal Transformers the same as the original no big suprise there, the only thing is that the gorilla face looks more like Primal mug in the show. Very nice. He looks like he is about to blow snot on you. He seams to be frowning about something maybe one to many banana jokes. Primals eyes are cool too they look right at you. Really nice feature.

Megatron Transformers the same as the original so you should not be shock. The main change is that the sea green color is really heavy on his back covering pretty much most of him. There is burnt orange coloring on the underside of his beast mode which gives is a leathery look. Plus they gave his beast mode eyes pupils which looks like really interesting. Reminds me of whenever you see him on the show and the beast head is looking around while Megs is devising plans to destroy the Maximals.

The CD-ROM: Really cool has a slight haze of gold covering the disk just enough to let the silver of the cd make the gold metalic. This is the Alien Disk not the Voyager Earth Disk. It has the all five symbols taked from the alien golden disk. Not sure if I want to open it beacuse it is sealed in a plastic wrapper just like a cd you buy in the store. Great item included.

The Enchillada:
    Well this is a must grab set for any Beast Wars Fans that is new to Beast Wars or ones that got into them 10 years ago. If you want show accurate versions of Primal and Megatron these are them. Even more accurate then Hasbros attempts at show versions of the Transmutate set(1-6 which are mine). This set puts the Robotmasters versions back in there boxes to collect dust. This is a very great version of the Maximal and Predacon and I am not dissapointed what so ever. I am just shock that it has been 10 years since I went and bought the original Primal and Megatron at my local Toys R Us.

Grade given: A for awesome affort by Takara.

Now I am off on the case on the Missing Megatron Eyes.

2. Fireflight

Fireflight Well-Known Member

Nice review. Now I can hardly wait to get mine.

3. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Anyone know where I can see some detailed pics of these figures? I wanna see what they look like.

4. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice review, but I'll be seriously irked if my Megs shows up with no eyes. Are you gonna exchange it?

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    no eyes, weird! This means he has no soul. Not James Brown soul, either, the real kind.

6. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    This thread is useless without pics! :D 

7. Terrorcon0

News Credits:
    I will try to get pics up tomorrow of them. Need to figure out this blasted digital camera thingy. Hell I am not sure if I want to send him back it may cost more than I wanted to spend in shipping cost from Japan. I might be just better to purchase an other one, but just for the megatron eyes, I am not sure. My Primus is on the way so that should make up for Megatrons missing eyes.

8. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Apparently, Megatron having eyes would make the set rare. Someone on the Allspark had the same problem, and contacted the dealer about a replacement. The entire shipment had eyeless Megatrons across the board.

Takara QC strikes again.

[edit] Heh, stupid usernames. Didn't realize you were the same guy on the AS. So I guess you already knew :p .

And erm, MMM? These are the redecoes/remolds. The Hasbro molds are entirely new, and aren't a re-*anything*, short of a "re-imagining".

9. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    A super-duper snazzy recolor is still just a repaint.

I'll wait for the remolds.

10. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Erm, MMM? These are the redecoes/remolds. The Hasbro molds are entirely new, and aren't a re-*anything*, short of a "re-imagining".

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I'd just like to throw this in the face of all those takara fanboys.

12. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    What I meant to say was I'll wait for the "re-imagined" molds.

Are these even remolded at all, or just repaints?

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    From all the descriptions I've read ( still waiting on some gallery pics ), they are remolded. Primal has a mouth now.

14. Terrorcon0

News Credits:
    Yes primal has a new tooled face new retooled chest and gorilla face. Megatron has a new retooled face and detailed pupals in the beast eyes. I was thinking to change out the the eyes of an original Megatron but even the eyes are totaly different in the way they are shaped. I am off to get my camera working and will try to get some pics up in the morning. So you all can see my blind Megatron.

15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    this stinks, what to I need to do, carve the eyes out of my old megs? HLJ says they already shipped!

(an eye transplant might be fun :ev:  )

16. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    No carving required. Megatron's eyes are a separate piece. Just open up his head and yank them out.

Of course, with the remolds, I have no clue if the old eyepiece is compatible with the new one.

17. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    We need more news on this ASAP! Where's the photos of the missing eyes? Can anybody confirm if it is indeed EVERY Megatron without the eyes? Is this only the first batch? Is the whole toy doomed? I need to know before I order...

18. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Nice to see that Takaras new focus on 'Collector' toys hasn't been met with an appropriate level of QC.

That said, I'm looking forward to mine.

19. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

Just ordered mine......I will see this by myself.

20. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Awesome review... but where are the pictures?