Minor/Repaint: Beast Wars paint touch-ups

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Switch625, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Hey gang. Here are some of my modifications to a few BW figures. Here's wave 1 of the 10 anniversary figures:

Cheetor: His original paint scheme was a little too monotonous for me, so I added some gold highlights to his armor in robot mode. I also repainted his eyes to be show accurate.
    [​IMG]

Rhinox: I cut off those silly head flaps and that did wonders.
    [​IMG]

I also modified his chan gun of doom to be a little more show accurate. It's really just held onto the front of the gun by one of the clear little rubberbands that came with the figure.
    [​IMG]

Waspinator: I did very little to Waspinator. I added some detail to his head.
    [​IMG]

And I added some yellow to the underside of his thorax. You can't see them well in the pictures but I also added some yellow to his forearms.
    [​IMG]

2. Switch625

And here's my favorite: Silverbolt. I added some details to his feet and also painted his chest, forearms and that flap thing silver. It's kind of hard to tell in the pics, but the "teeth" around that red ball in his gut is actually painted aluminum. It's a subtle enough change that it doesn't look all the same color. I also painted his wingtips to match the rest of his wings. I'm very happy with the way he turned out!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    U ROCK! :rock  these are so awesome!

4. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    What kind of paint do you use? and do you know the exact color for the metallic blue on tigerhawk?

5. Switch625

All of these are done in enamel. I don't have a Tigerhawk figure and I can't think of his paint scheme on the show off the top of my head. Are you trying to match the show or add to the toy's paint scheme?

After checking out some pics online, I'd say your best choice for the blue on Tigerhawk would be just a simple dark blue color. There's a catch though, some of the blue areas on Tigerhawk are vac-metallized and you will not be able to match that. Dark blue may not even be a perfect match so you'll have to repaint all the blue areas so that it will match, not just touch up here and there.

6. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    ah thanks, yeah I got a Tigerhawk for free but he is all scratched up. I wanted to match the exact paint on the toy so not to ruin him further.

7. Switch625

If he's all scratched up, then maybe you can use this as an opportunity to paint him up and make him your own.

8. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice job, love the additions to Cheetor!:thumb 

9. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

Very nice job on all of them. :thumb 

10. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Those rock! I wasn't planning on getting Cheetor but with the gold he looks too good to miss...

11. Cobra_Commander

Cobra_Commander Master of tactics TFW2005 Supporter

the waspinator looks really good dude, i was always annoyed that they didnt paint him that way before

12. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

Your Cheetor is the best I have ever seen, all he needs is the front leg modification so they fold inward and he will be 100% show accurate.

You were very brave too cut of rhinox's clips, well done it payed off. I cannot bring myself to do it to mine.

Waspinator looks totaly awsome, Great job there. He looks even better now.

Silverbolt is fantastic. Have you read up on how to do the wing modification? That makes it look a whole lot better, but what you have there is great enough.

I look forward to seeing your other work. *drools at the thaught of your work on dinobot*

13. Switch625

Thanks for all the positive feeback guys, I really appreciate it.

By "Rhinox's clips" are you referring to his head flaps? If so, yeah I took a huge risk. If it was an original Rhinox and not one of the new re-releases that I can find pretty much everywhere, I don't know if I would have been so bold.

I also can't wait to get my hands on Dinobot. From the pictures I've seen, it doesn't appear like too difficult a project.

Can you point me in the direction of those modifications to Cheetor and Silverbolt? Repainting is really my thing; if those mods involve cutting up the toys I don't think I'll attempt them.

14. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

15. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

Very nice work. I modded almost every original BW toy a few years ago and I wish I had done it with your skill. I also wish I could have done it with re-issues. :( 

If you're looking to make a more show-accurate Waspinator without casting your own head, I recommend a Transmetal Waspinator head. It's by no means perfect but with a little green, black, and gold it looks fantastic!