Beast Wars Owner/ Rights?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by herrly, Aug 15, 2012.

1. herrly

herrly New Member

I e-mailed Hasbro last week about possibly obtaining their permission to personally use the Beast Wars/ Beasties symbols. I wanted to have 2 hats made for myself with the Maximals and Autobots symbol on the front of them. Not for sale or anything, just so I can wear them. I see tons of Transformers hats around but obviously no Beast Wars ones. So I figured I'd just make 2 of my own.

So far they've just been forwarding me to different people/ different departments. The last response I received stated "Hasbro no longer has the rights to Beastwars". When I asked who does the next reply stated "I'm sorry but I don't have that information".

So it seems like a dead end. I'm hoping somebody here can help me out. I can't have the symbols stitched onto any hats until I have written permission from whoever owns Beast Wars.

2. KaguyaHouraisan

KaguyaHouraisan TORANS-FORMAAAA!

I don't think you need permissions if you make them to yourself and don't sell them or anything. However,just my opinion.

3. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    First off, welcome to TFW. We hope you enjoy your time here!

Second of all, it's surprising that you went to all this effort to get the rights to the symbols. I'm pretty sure this falls under fair use, since you're not selling it or anything. I don't think you'll be tackled by Mainframe employees for failing to clear their rights.

Third, huh. I don't really know. Maybe Mainframe still owns it, or the TV network that financed the heck outta Beast Wars.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    If you're justing making them for yourself, and you aren't making any money off it, and you aren't intending to sell them (that is, they will be for personal use only), I'm pretty sure they'll let it slide. They certainly aren't going to send the lawyers after you for what is essentially fanart at this point.

It sounds like they're treating you as someone who wants licensing rights, which your embroiderer may need for you to get it done professionally, unfortunately.

Far as I know, Hasbro should have the rights to all of Beast Wars except distribution and broadcasting of the TV show in Canada (which I believe is still held by Rainmaker studios). But I could be mistaken.

5. herrly

herrly New Member

Thanks for the replies so far. The stores I'd like to use will either be Lids or a locally owned embroidery shop. If I want to use a design that isn't my own original, I need consent from whoever owns it before they will stitch it in. Its store policy.

I'm confused why one of the Hasbro representatives would say they don't have the rights to Beast Wars.

6. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I would be as well, this is unfortunate though.

Perhaps if there was a way you could look up 'Aaron Archer', he's the "head cheese", if you will, for the Transformers brand, he may potentially have the information you're requiring.

7. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Go to Tongduchon, South Korea outside of Camp Casey and find a sewing shop. Those guys will make you anything you want, just give them a picture. Cheap too.

Of course, the price of flying to Korea may be a bit more than the hat is worth....

8. herrly

herrly New Member

So I received another e-mail from Hasbro. I asked them since this JoAnn Belisle contact doesn't have the information I need about the Beast Wars issue, who could I talk to who would know. They said if she doesn't have the information then they're sorry to say they can't help me. They recommended I do an online search for my answer.

9. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

Rather than Hasbro not having the rights to "Beast Wars", I'd guess it's a matter of having sold the license for and Beast Wars clothing and apparel to a third party. (Someone like Stylin Online etc).

As the licensee has probably paid a substantial amount for exclusive rights, they'd probably be reluctant to let you produce your own without compensation.

10. abates

abates Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rainmaker actually recently sold their animation side to Chinese company Xing Xing Digital. So I guess Xing Xing own the rights now?
    China's Xing Xing takes on Rainmaker - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

11. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

off topic, but i guess there's definitely no chance of rebooting reboot now. and yeah hasbro rep probably meant they don't have the merchandising/broadcast rights to beast wars right now, but the show and toys themselves are still hasbro/tak property.

f rainmaker, they bought out mainframe and then proceed to make barbie movies while sitting on reboot for years without doing anything with it.

12. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

You know, years ago, I wanted a cap with the Decepticon logo on it. There was this little kiosk in my local mall that did computer scanning of basic images for sewing onto fabric. They didn't have the Decepticon logo, so I had to pay a set up fee, but in their catalogue of stuff they could do (i.e., in their system already) they had the Autobot, Maximal and Predicon logos. So if you look around, you might be able to find some place that already has the pattern.

Alternately, did you bring the pattern to Lids already? It's possible that they might not recognise the Maximal logo, and they'll do it up for you hassle free. Can't say the same for the Autobot logo, though.