Beast Wars Neo Break Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ComicGuy89, Apr 22, 2010.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi guys I'm back again, this time with another review of another Beast Wars Neo figure, Break! Again, this is the Korean Sonokong version, and to assure people out there, there are no quality control issues on this toy (not even loose joints, more or less!).

Break is an infamous Maximal among the fandom, not due to his prowess or anything he did, but because he possesses what may be one of the strangest alt-modes in history: a penguin!

BEAST MODE
    [​IMG]

As can be seen, Break is (or so I was told) an emperor penguin. The beast mode is remarkably well-sculpted, with plenty of good details that add to this toy. Also, because of his shellformer nature, Break hides his robot mode well, and there is almost no kibble on his beast mode. We'll get to what little kibble he has in a second.

[​IMG]

In my opinion at least, he has tons of play value due to his articulated limbs and head. His wings and feet are all on ball joints, giving him a wide range of poses to assume. It also helps that his head can turn.

Break has one hilarious feature added to his design:

[​IMG]

Yes, that bulbous thing popping out of his backside is a missile! This is the kibble I was talking about, but it makes up for it by being so ridiculously funny! A trigger allows you to launch the missile, initiating what TFWiki calls a "super-mega-poop-attack!". Along with Dead End's shell launching mechanism, this feature is one of the few times I laughed when fiddling with a toy.

All in all a great (and fun!) beast mode, which is accentuated by the fact that it's so unique!

9.5/10

[​IMG]

ROBOT MODE

Transformation begins by popping open the beast body like a Gashapon egg capsule toy. The photo above shows the first step. Break actually has a Targetmaster mode, but that's a bit too fiddly for me to play around with, so I skipped it.

[​IMG]

There you have the ultimate shellformer! Seriously this guy is about 50% kibble! Nevertheless, what is remarkable is that the toy actually works well. The premium sculpting carries over from the beast mode, with plenty of nice fur details and robot bits all over his body and on the inside of his kibble.

[​IMG]

Kibble or not, Break is provided with plenty of good joints for great poseability. This is also helped by the fact that he needs to be able to twist and bend to fit inside his beast mode. He also possesses very well designed feet, giving his quite a lot of stability in posing. Excellent!

[​IMG]

Here's an close look at his spark crystal and his fairly large missile launcher. Most Beast Wars Neo figures come with spark crystals signifying their faction. The spring mechanism is strong and the missile launches far. I also liked how they molded his hands despite it being mostly hidden by the launcher.

[​IMG]

A close-up of his face. There's a nice penguin theme about it. I initially thought he was gnashing his teeth, but it turned out to be a smile. A bit of paint added to the mouth area might have made the mouth stand out more, but as it is, I believe it is show accurate.

[​IMG]

Another look at his robot mode. Very, very nice robot mode, which is surprising considering his shellformer nature. His kibble can get in the way occasionally but due to cleverly designed joints, that doesn't happen much. Definitely recommended to Beast Wars fans!

9.5/10

CONCLUSION

Break here is a unique novelty, but besides that he also delivers a very functional toy. Whether you want a good Transformer or a funny item to talk to your friends about, Break is highly recommended.

9.5/10

Like Dead End, do be warned that prices for this guy are not as cheap as they were last time. Try scouting for the Sonokong versions, they're often cheaper and you get the same package.

I just thought I'd have some fun and provide a few pictures of Dead End and Break dueling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading!

Attached Files:

2. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    nice review... i love this little bugger... one of my favorites from BW...

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I've got the Sonokong version and it's fun. Personally I think the kibble hinders it in robot mode. I wish the missile was launched from his penguin bumhole for extra laughs.

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Anyone got that old pic with Break's 'clean' robot form next to the penguin form built from the shell kibble?

5. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    I'd like to see this too .

6. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    This is my only Beast Wars figure. It's amazing because IT TURNS INTO A PENGUIN.

That's all, really :lol 

7. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I love Beast Wars Kibble...I mean Neo.

If I could secure a Killer Punch at a non-raping cost I'd be all set.

8. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't care if you can disassemble this guy into both modes simultaneously, I love him! I have since the moment I first saw him online in 1999. One of my favorite Scout-sized toys to date.

Patience. It can be done. I finally got a loose/complete/pristine one a couple years ago for a great price. He is awesome -- blows the Guiledart version of the mold out of the water.

9. cybeast

cybeast Well-Known Member

Sorry for necro-ing the thread. I just got him, and I think his eyes is quite menacing. Can someone show me whether he will look less menacing in blue color? Thanks :D