Beast Wars...My Take

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by thenatureboywoo, Apr 25, 2009.

1. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm 31 and I was around during G1 and Gobots. I got back to the hobby during all the movie hype. And I've been faithful ever since. But I missed alot of stuff from Generation 2 through the Triolgy. But with Universe coming out and with Cheetor and Dinobot, I wondered how cool was Beast Wars. So me and my son and daughter watched Episode 1 Parts 1 and 2 tonight. Here's my take.

I like the fact that they can't sustain themselves in robot mode for long periods of time. And The fact that Dinobot values honor for being a Predacon (decepticon) is pretty cool to me. Cheetor seems really cool to me. Almost like a bumblebee type, which i'm guessing that's supposed to be who he is representing. I'm actually pretty excited to see how the story progresses after Megatron was supposedly destroyed in the blast at the end of part 2. For being back in 1998?? I think it's a pretty cool show. Much better than from what I've see from the Energon series. My son also stated how real their beast modes look, and me knowing that they're cgi was a pretty cool thought.

Stay tuned for my take on upcoming episodes if you wish.

2. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Yeah I am with you on this. G1 is my favorite show but Beast Wars is a good second. Great stories and wait until you get to season two. Let us know what you think.

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Welcome to BWs...you won't regret the experience. On a side note, I always love these introductions by lapsed fans. I dunno, just something about them that are always amusing.

Note: its probably just the boozes talkin tonight.

4. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah...sorry a bout that.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    One thing about BW is that even though the CGI lacks smaller (and lots of not-so-smaller) details and better textures, it's movement is some of the most natural and realistic I've seen in TV shows.

When I was too young to even comprehend the long-term story of it, I was utterly infatuated with Beast Wars. (I only watched a tiny bit of the G1 movie before that, and had forgotten most of it) The whole concept of animals actually being robots pretending to be animals and living on a humanless Earth was just a new and exciting concept I loved.

After the plot and characters had me, I got my first Transformer ever: Cheetor. I loved him, and still think he's one of the cooler TFs around that era for his bot mode and fun, "actiony" transformation. I just never got why he transformed backwards from teh show, until my mom pointed out years and years ago that he "got dressed in the dark" and put his "shirt on backwards", which is why his arms unfolded from his cheetah back instead of his chest like in the show. :lol  It was funny to me as a kid and I still think it's funny.

6. Ian_GSi

Ian_GSi Active Member

There are few shows that do story arc's as well as Beast Wars (Season 2 is out standing imo), the suspense that was built up towards the end of the season was only rivaled by Heroes Season 1....

7. Jetcols

Jetcols Elite Guard

News Credits:
    I've only recently started watching Beast Wars too, and I'm hooked! great characters!

8. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Even though I grew up during Beast Wars and Beast Machines' run on TV, i can hardly remember anything about it except that Rhinox was my first transformer.

That said, I've also started watching the series, "Possession" being the last episode i watched so far. Such a wonderful series. Suprisingly violent as well, considering what happens to some of the Predacons in episodes like "Power Surge" and "Gorilla Warfare".

9. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

When it was airing,I watched one or two episodes,said,"This is stupid-TRUKK NOT MUNKY" and never looked back until RiD came out. This past year though,when the robot heroes Beast Wars characters came out,it inspired me to watch a few episodes online,and it's not that bad. I'll never really be a fan though.

10. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Mako Crab did a similar run on BW some time ago, which was quite enjoyable. However, I'd urge my fellow board members here not to post spoilers or episode specifics!

The beauty of BW is that the first part of the first season is OK. Then it starts picking up steam, building into season 2, and by the end of season 2, you're practically on the edge of your seat. By season 3, you're likely to be a hopeless addict of the show.

11. OhSlag!

OhSlag! Well-Known Member

best show ever imo... one of the best things to happen to transformers.

not having the series continue after beast machines into transtech was disapointing though

12. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    I'm excited to see someone my age watching this for the first time, and doing it with your son, so lucky! I started watching BW around the begining of S2 and loved it. I can't wait to get your take on it all. IMHO it is what saved transformers from falling away like G I Joe, He-Man, TMNT and so many others. It is an inteligent show, with real charactors, strong interconnected plots and so much more. You're in for a treat man.

13. kidnicky

Can someone please explain to me what makes this show SO mature and ZOMG adult? I know there's episodes where characters die,and there's overarching plotlines (a staple of children's cartoons for a long time now),and characters switch sides (didn't they do that in G1?),but most episodes involve talking animals,stupid catch phrases (That's just Prime!),and Cheetor doing a lame Sonic the Hedgehog 90's "extreme 'tude" Poochie impression.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I would give you a detailed, thorough and well-composed response, but you lack of intelligent enquiry and generally disdainful attitude and rudeness makes me want to do quite the opposite.

However, so as not to fall to your level, I will point out that it's not "ZOMG ADULT", though it does have both subtle and decidedly UNsubtle inuendo at times, it's mostly "mature" because of it's complex characters, fleshed out plots and genuine suspense. Death and swearing doesn't make anything mature.

15. kidnicky

How's it disdainful or rude? I'm not saying it's a bad show,but people act like it's Masterpiece Theater because it's slightly more adult than other kid's cartoons.

16. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

You know what's funny? Beast Wars came out in 1996 and the CGI is very good considering the time. The characters look very realistic and have great facial movements and everything.

Then you look at Energon and Cybertron. Absolute garbage, it looks soooo bad.

But I guess they had lower budgets or something, but still...

17. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    All I can say is if you have a favorable reaction to the pilot two-parter, you're in good shape, as it largely goes up from there.

18. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Also keep in mind, the show really doesn't hit its stride until the second season. The first has more than its share of filler, as the writer's didn't quite know where they were taking the series at the time.

19. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sit back, buckle up and enjoy the ride. You have lots of good stuff ahead of you. Not only is it a good Transformers show but is good scfi in general.

Please post your journey here. I read all of mako's and I'll likely read yours. Threads like this take me back to when I first watched it.

20. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

BW

I loved BW I was lucky enough to find Season 2 stuck somewhere in a Best Buy, in 2003ish long after it should have been gone, it had a booklet of DVDs comming out in the future year of 1994.

I only have season 2 on DVD, but it came out when I was older, I am 26 grew up on G1, but the majority of my toys were BW, although I was old enough when it came out to be skeptical of the beasts.

I used to watch it every morning before school, I wish I had them all on DVD, but definately get all you can.