Beast Wars/Machines Question

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by crazyheaddave, Nov 25, 2006.

1. crazyheaddave

crazyheaddave Member

So, I was just watching Beast Machines and was considering the whole "Cybertron is organic" thing. Another thing I considered was, in context with Beast Wars, Beast Machines is a continuation of the latter series, in turn, is in continuity with Generation 1. So, this leads me to my question, where in time exactly does Beast Machines take place in conjunction with G1? This isn't really a rhetorical question, just never considered it.

2. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I think I heard somewere that its like 100-200 years after G1 and right after BW.

3. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

I think Beast Wars takes place 300 years after G1's end, so Beast Machines is roughly in that ball park.

4. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    In Beast Wars it's stated the Great Wars ended 300 years before the series, so Beast Machines would be around that time as well. Catch here is there's no fixed date of when the great wars ended, they might count Rodimus Prime's declaration in 2005 or they might count the end as the defeat of Star Giant in Battlestars, the final G1 storyline, which has no fixed date.

5. crazyheaddave

crazyheaddave Member

Okay. I just never knew and haven't seen the first and second seasons of Beast Wars in quite some time. It just sort of dawned on me that Beast Machines gave a lot of closure to the whole Beast Wars saga and that led me to think that maybe Beast Machines ended Generation 1 as well. Just kind of baffled me that that's how it supposedly ends.

6. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    In G1, 4 million years pass and the transformers on cybertron are exactly like they were the show crew left the planet. Yet, in only 300 years, they all downsize and take on animal flesh...

Good story though.

7. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Considering their leaderships were on another planet as well as the most elite of both sides that whole time and Cybertron was nearly depleted of power, it doesn't surprise me much.

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Besides, Shockwave said "Cybertron shall remain as you leave it", and he REALLY meant it. However, it's obvious things like that are why Dreamwave came up with stuff like the "Great Shutdown". It's a convenient way to deal with the long stretches of time.

Regarding the relatively quick updates in technology, in a space of under ten years (if you consider the cartoon and/or comic run to represent roughly the same amount of time as the media's run), TFs were exposed to lots of alien cultures, including biologicals like Earth and Nebulos, gained Head/Target/Powermasters, Micromasters, Pretenders, and more. Maximals/Predacons can be viewed simply as combining the developed technologies. The three hundred or so years probably went more to the political side of getting near-everyone to upgrade to new bodies than developing the tech of it.

9. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Another interesting question I thought of today that's never been satisfactorily answered is WHY Earth's coordinates are secrets/the sector is forbidden?

I DON'T think, after an epiphany, that there was some problem in the recent past - I think the problem is due to Transwarp.

Let's face it, any Decepticon/Pred who knows his history and has a Transwarp drive would be a moron to NOT try going back in time and changing the outcome of the Great War. Therefore, the only way to preserve the future is to keep its seeds buried in the past for none to see.

10. Pidgeot018

Pidgeot018 Pok├ęcon

I always thought it strange that 300 years was chosen as a lapse of time between G1 and Beast Wars. For a species that can live millions of years, it doesn't seem like much. Unless they meant the Cybertronian equivalent of 3 centuries, which would be a very, very long time.

Of course, if you think about it too much, you relaize that creatures millions of years old would be like wise enlightened Zen masters or something, and wouldn't be engulfed in any wars, but I guess their personality programmings die hard.

And I do like the notion of Maximal control being facist in their rule over the Predacons and Cybertron. It gives an ironic twist to the Auobots' victory.

11. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

wasn't there a comic that explained the reasoning for the upgrades? energon shortages more or less made the upgrade necessary? or am i wrong?

12. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I'm probably waaay off here, since I didn't see all of the BW episodes, but I always thought that BW occurred on Earth sometime during the 4 million years between the time the G1 Ark crash landed there and the time that the G1 series took place? Wasn't there an episode of BW where the Maximals found G1 Prime and the Ark? Huh...learn something new every day!

13. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It did. BW is kinda weird in that way- the start on Cybertron is 300 years after the Great War ends, so G1 + 300 years. The two ships went back in time something like 80,000 years (early stages of human evolution, I think that's the right time frame) so the Maximals and Predacons from the future of G1 are actually on Earth between the crashing of the Ark and the eruption that awakened Skywarp and then the rest, as seen in the G1 pilot. BW ends in them going back home to their own time. BM starts back in present (from the BW perspective) but there's a bit of time lag between the shows. Not much, a few years probably for Megatron, and minutes for the Maximals. Something about them leaving transwarp at different points.

14. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Got it! So BW occurred before, after, and during G1! Sweet! (I totally blanked on the fact that they went back in time, and then into the future). Thanks!