Beast Wars...I finally get it, but not the toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Necare, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I tried a few months back to get into beast wars after listening to everyone talk about how good it was. People referred me to certain episodes where it ties in with G1 and I simply couldn't get into it. The writing was pretty good, but the fact that they transformed into Beasts instead of vehicles just didn't work for me. Plus changing their names and making their voices sound like the Earthly creatures into which they transformed was way to cheesy for me.

However, one thing turned it around...Dinobot. I just recently rewatched in order after seeing the episode Code of a Hero. I LOVE the show now! LOVE IT!!

Dinobot has to be the BEST character in any series of transformers EVER!! His inner turmoil and character development (including his clone) is just done really well.

I still don't think I will be buying the toys, however the 10th anniversary beast wars toys do look VERY show accurate and if I were into it more, I would be all over the toys as well.

I finally get it...

And as a side note, I still do not like beast machines. Not sure that will ever change!

2. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dinobot was a great character and one of my all time favorites... Beast Wars had great character development, and that is why there is so much love for the series. But I do agree it was a little cheesy with the characters renaming themselves to match their beast mode.

Beast Wars is still one of my favorite Transformers series if not the favorite... but don't worry about not liking Beast Machines I don't either and I would say a lot of others don't as well.

Oh and shouldn't this be in Transformers General Discussion area :) 

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Two years ago I also came to love the show after not digging the concept for a long time. Code of Hero is amazing. Probably the best-written TF cartoon we're ever going to get.

I have a few BW toys and if you get one get Dinobot. It's not even close to being in scale with the other toys (what series has good scale anyway?) or being show-accurate but it's got a really poseable robot mode and a passable raptor mode. The Transmetal 2 toy is more show accurate if you'd rather have that.

4. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    You can skip the atrocious Beast Machines. ;) 

Anyway, if you like Dinobot, go get Transmetal Dinobot-II, he's pretty show-accurate. ;) 

5. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, even though I couldn't really get into Beast Wars I did like the Dinobot character. Well, aside from his ridonkulously uninspired name.

6. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    Well there is a new Dinobot toy coming down the pipes.

7. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Yeah, Beast Wars is a great show but this is a toy discussion so i will say ^^: i rather skip the first season toys, with the transmetals and fuzors the line is way more fun.

8. alex_kingdom

alex_kingdom Well-Known Member

Beast wars was the greatest TF show ever, the toys were....inventive and ground breaking at the time but many haven't aged too well. As for Beast Machines I bloody loved it, I'm almost inclined to say I preferred it to Beast Wars but I know I'm in a minority on that score.

9. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    BW caught me by surprise. I discounted it back when it first started as really awful cgi, goofy stories, goofy characters etc, not to mention they seemed to ignore G1 stuff, so I didn't care. Then around S2 I caught some episodes in a row on Cartoon Network (or maybe local syndication) and started to get sucked into the storyline. By the time Ravage and the Ark showed up, I was hooked. Awesome show, still holds up really well writing wise (although the early episodes look pretty awful by any modern standards for sure) and I wish we could have gotten another season or two of BW post Earth, instead of the awful that was BM.

As for toys, Transmetal Tigerhawk is great and maybe my fave, as is the Optimal Optimus. The 10th Anniversary Optimus and Megatron 2-pack from TRU (or the Takara version too I guess) is great as well. There are a lot of awful BW toys out there though so be careful.

10. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    Yeah, there's the 25th Anniversary Dinobot coming. I would wait for that. I'm currently waiting for Cheetor. I can't believe the little guy is the first of the revamped universe line. :p