Customs: Beast Wars game modding for Dawn of War

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Happy_the_Hobo, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Happy_the_Hobo

Happy_the_Hobo Member

I am looking for feed back of what people think, suggestions, criticism, maybe even support. If you want to help I would appreciate any assistance I can get.

Here is my idea: Using the game War Hammer 40,000 Dawn of War as the base for a Beast Wars modification. There would be no base building, but instead your base is your sides crashed star ship. The game has a great system for infantry allowing ranged and melee weapons, and tons of particle effects for most transformers to have unique weapons. The game can run on most computers, and has a decent modding community.
    I would like to stay away from pure canon, but instead give an updated/personal look. I don't want to use Transmetal or Transmetal II, but instead the characters be redesigned with some inpiration from both; the beast modes would be in the general shape of the creature, but with robot material look. Instead of hand held blasters I would like make the right arm transform into the ranged weapon, and the left transform into their melee weapon. I would to not only include the original cast, but community developed transformers if possible.
    The game would be like a battle of heroes with point control; energon and crashed statis pods would be the points to capture and hold. I would like to stay close to the original story, but certain things could be twisted within reason. Instead of individual statis pods I figure large statis escape pods that contain 10 protoforms, but only gives one protoform every few minutes it remains held. To build a unit requires lots of energon, and one protoform; some more powerful units might require two protoforms.
    I figure instead of having transformers immediately die, instead they go into stasis lock for a minute before actually being lost, but one would have to use a medic or commander to revive them from stasis lock, or they would die.
    The transformers would have energy that would slowing degenerate while in robot mode, and degenerate much faster near energon points, but regenerate while in beast mode; once the unit reaches zero energy they slowly lose health. Robot mode would have very little if any health regeneration, but beast mode would have much higher.
    Both sides would start with their respective crashed ship, commander, and resources for four other transformers. The bases should be strong enough they can't just be rushed, but can be taken down by a large force later game.
    Most transformers that poses the ability to fly will be like the jetpack troopers in dawn or war; they have an ability to jump jet over to a target location. Some transformers that have flying beast modes and bot modes will be air units in the game flying all the time. Depending on the engine, Ariel units might not be able to make revivable.

2. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

This sounds really awesome!
    Ihope it works out.

3. Happy_the_Hobo

Happy_the_Hobo Member

The key to success would be the creation to a mod team. The progress would be very slow if I have to work on this alone, which is why more then anything I want to create a team. The Dawn of War relic forums has a large modding community, but finding anyone interested in a Beast Wars mod proved less then disappointing. I haven't had much luck with finding Beast Wars fans that could help. If anyone would like to assist in any way possible let me know, or if you know someone who might be interest let them know, if there is a better place to find Beast Wars fans that would want to help again let me know. There are countless ways one could help such a project, so it doesn't matter if they have modding experience or not.

4. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    I had this idea, but with the CryEngine 2 instead... or CryEngine 3 if it turns out to be any good.

I am a sucker for graphix

5. Happy_the_Hobo

Happy_the_Hobo Member

RTS would be easier with simpler models. I would love to be able to create a Beast Wars mod for Crysis; using those amazing jungles, but if I am the only one doing models, then it would take forever to get anywhere. Granted we could use crappy models, but it would be so wrong with everything else looking so amazing. Trust me if you could cr@p like 5 people that have adequate 3d modeling experience then I would say hells yeah to Crysis Beast Wars.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Sounds cool, Happy. Keep us posted with your art development :thumb 

7. Happy_the_Hobo

Happy_the_Hobo Member

Other then 3d work I have been thinking about how it will all work. Transformers with water based beast modes that cannot funtion on land will not be considered at this time. I have been thinking about the functions each transformer could play, so I came up with a class system.

Basic Classes:
    Commander - Captures points, Revives fallen comrads, only one per side.
    Sub Commander - Captures points, only two per side.
    Soldier - Combat, Focus on Ranged Weapons.
    Warrior - Combat, Focus on Melee Weapons.
    Engineer - Construction, Repair.
    Scout - Detection, extended line of sight.
    Infultrator - Stealthed, Demolitions.
    Medic - Revives fallen comrades, heals comrades.
    Ariel - Flying, extended line of sight.
    Elite - Extremely powerful transformer, only one per side.

Maximals

Commander:
    Optimus Primal(Gorilla)

Sub Commanders:
    Rhinox(Rhino)
    Ironhide(Elephant)

Soldiers:
    Tigatron(Tiger)
    Silverbolt(Wolf/Eagle)

Warriors:
    Dinobot(Raptor)

Enginners:

Scouts:
    Cheetor(Cheetah)

Infultrators:
    Rattrap(Rat)

Medics:

Ariels:
    Airrazor(Falcon)

Elite:
    Tigerhawk(Tiger/Falcon)

Predacons

Commander:
    Megatron(T-Rex)

Sub Commanders:
    Inferno(Fire Ant)

Soldiers:
    Scorponok(Scorpion)

Warriors:
    Scavenger(Ant)

Enginners:
    Tarantulas(Tarantula)

Scouts:

Infultrators:
    blackarachnia(Black Widow)

Medics:

Ariels:
    Waspinator(Wasp)
    Terrorsaur(Pterodactyl)

Elite:
    Rampage(Crab)

This is just off the top of my head, if anyone had any suggestions for beast warriors to use and class they could fit let me know.

8. Happy_the_Hobo

Happy_the_Hobo Member

[​IMG]

Though I hadn't used 3ds Max in a while I think I did alright at creating a head for Optimus.