Beast Wars ending with Beast Machines. Justified, approved?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by CyclonuS_ZerO, Jun 27, 2011.

1. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    So I ordered the complete Beast Wars series from Shout, and enjoyed it so much that I wanted more and had to see how the whole Beast Wars saga ended and ordered Beast Machines. I don't really know how to feel about it. It ends kind of on a bitter sweet note. *SPOILER ALERT* I knew Primal and Megatron were both going to die, so that's not why it's bitter sweet. Do any of the huge fans of these series feel the same way? I'm almost a pure G1er in most respects also, and I really liked Beast Wars alot, I just don't know if Beast Machines did it justice. Discuss.

2. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

Beast Wars ended with everyone going home, which was fitting as they got their wish.
    Beast Machines OTOH ended with the ideologues on both sides dying for their beliefs and the survivors living to create a better world without either the ideologies of cold machine logic or moral absolutism. Which again was fitting.

However the biggest problem comes from BM being a sequel to BW. BM was a totally different beast (pardon the pun) to BW, thematically, emotionally, dramatically ... totally different.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    While Beast Machines was quite different in general from Beast Wars, I've grown to appreciate it quite a lot (especially after getting back into Transformers), as among other things, the characters & progression seemed more real than anything else. At least this way, we got to experience two great shows instead of simply one slightly longer one.

I'm sure there's a longer & more explanatory post of mine somewhere, but those have always been key factors for me.

4. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I kind of wish it was would had been done better. I do like the series as it is, but I think a few changes could had made it alot better.

I can understand the character changes atleast on the Maximal side. They thought the fighting was over and got home to a Cybertron under Megatron's control. But I do wish there could of been a reason behind Megatron's change. Unlike the Maximals, he came from a defeat to being ruler of Cybertron. He really should had been his normal self given that he won the bigger prize. Perhaps the Predacons turned on him and without friends he created the virus or something. Just something would had been great.

I wish they wouldnt had done the ideas for both sides. Would had been nice if the Maximal just focus on trying to liberate Cybertron. Would had been nice if the series had Predacons and they worked with the Maximals to free Cybertron. That way after the series the two factions could have some type of better bond and live better together. It would had been great have a different ending. Would had been great if it would had went forward and ended with the remaining Axalon crew looking at statues of fallen friends like Dinobot, Rhinox, and such. Then have a slightly taller one for Optimus Primal standing at equal height next to an Optimus Prime statue. That to me would had been the way to end the Beast Era.

5. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Now see, that ending, or something similar would've been better. The ending was just "okay it's over." Granted, I like series that end on a similar note, but even just with slightly different tenses in dialogue, simple but yet a sense of accomplishment in the feel of the music, and a grandious last closeup, the ending was artistically awesome (talking about Buffy). Now, the idea of closing the series with a shot of them putting up and/or saluting statues of fallen friends, with some epic triumphant, slight (just slight) meloncholic music would've been fitting. But we get a plain jane shaft. No artistic value at all. Even if they would've just changed the music a bit and MADE the viewer feel it, I would've been happy, but no. Still liked the series don't get me wrong, I just wish the ending would've been more fulfilling. Cheetor's ending speech was good, but lacked all the rest behind it to build it up.

6. excelhedge

excelhedge Overseer of Weird

News Credits:
    Well if you include the comic fiction a resurected Primal and Megtron did get bought back to lead Transformers from various deminsions against Unicron.

7. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I'm a Beast Machines fan. I'm really happy with the new twist they put on the Beast era. Beast Wars is my favourite TF show of all time, actually one of my favourite shows of any kind! But BM was so dark and complex in its themes and tone that it was so refreshing to watch.

Don't get me wrong, more BW would have been GREAT, but kudos to everyone involved in writing and producing BM, so many brave choices were made that a lot of people were bound to be pissed off, but I feel that the eventual benefits outweigh the risks.

I guess the final ending was never going to satisfy 100% but then that's probably just because I never wanted it to end.

8. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Never liked BM, but the Wreckers comics make the ending more tolerable and I consider them cannon.

9. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Loved BM more as I grew up, but as a kid I could appreciate to a degree the deep storylines and themes. Last few eps were gold and so epic. Most disappointing part of the series though was Rattrap.

Edit: Actually, the most disappointing part may have been Nightscream's hair.

10. Proxima

Proxima Goddess of Darkness

God I hated Nightscream. So much.

However, aside from that I loved the series honestly. It was much darker but worked wonders. Plus <3<3 Thrust.

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

As two separate series it would have worked great. It's really just the attempt to work the two series into the same story arch where things don't work so well.

The Beast Wars ending was great since the Maximals were going to bring Megatron back to face justice and Waspintor was left as the king of the early humans.

12. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

The only thing that I didn't like about the Beast Machines ending was that Cybertron didn't become "technorganic," it became ORGANIC. It didn't even resemble the planet that they arived on in the Beast Machines premiere. I'm ok with it though, since it's not like all twenty six episodes featured the planet looking the way it did in the end.

13. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel like it was justified and fitting, but the aesthetic of Beast Machines was so vastly different that you couldn't help but feel it didn't jive perfectly with Beast Wars.

14. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

:confused: 

Er, really?

Did you even watch the show?

Cybertron DID become techno organic and of course it looked different from the first episode!!! I think that was the whole point.

I don't want to sound too harsh man but sheesh, that is borderline trolling.

15. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My only complaint is how drastic some of the character changes were.

Megatron, Rattrap, and Optimus are completely different than their BW incarnations. Silverbolt had an in-story reason and he was back to normal by the end. Rhinox's darkness was foreshadowed in an episode of BW. Cheetor probably had the best characterization and evolution from kid in BW to leader of the core Maximals at the end of BM.

16. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Megatron's changes happened off screen, so we can only speculate as to the background for him. But I think the evolution of Primal and Rattrap was, if you'll pardon the pun, very much an organic process.

Primal was affected after his experience with the Oracle, and Rattrap was suffereing from what can only be described as Transformer depression after his 'upgrade'.

If these characters didn't look so physically different it's likely that the developments in their characters wouldn't have been so noticeable.

17. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As a series Machines was rather good. It had mature story lines and deep philosophical questions. It was a war of ideologies, which is always entertaining.

But it was awful as a sequel to Wars. There were extremely drastic and unwelcome character changes galore. The ideologies didn't suit the characters nor the franchise, in my opinion.

Had Machines removed any trace of the Transformers IP from itself it would be a really cool series. But as a show about transforming robots from a metal world, well they didn't transform they morphed, they weren't robots anymore, and their metal world became Earth like. I really dislike that.

There is one thing I will say Machines nailed 100% perfectly. Cheetors character arc. THAT is how you build up a replacement leader. If Hot Rod had the same treatment Rodimus Prime would be a beloved leader.

But other than that I pretend the Beast era ended at Beast Wars in my own fanon.

18. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    2 things you need to know about Beast Machines

a) The actors hated it as much as most fans
    b) almost everything introduced the the overall Mythos was later Retconned out in the botcon comics.

19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'm still not the biggest fan of Cybertron going all Techno-Organic at the end but other than that BM is a fantastic series, and great sequel to BW. People get worked up over all the character changes, but it's a little something called character development.

20. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's a huge difference between character development and character rewrites.