Beast Wars deserved a better sequel.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rattrap587, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Rattrap587

Rattrap587 Maximal Ground Operations

Ebay:
    After 10 years every transfan remember Beast Wars very well but the same doesn´t happen with Beast Machines. Every aspect of BW is valued today as the TV show, toys (some rare and very expensive), comics, but BM seems to be destinated to be forgotten. Beast Machines tooks the consagrated characters from BW and turn them inside-out literally. The designs become extra-weird and ugly and the personalities completely twisted. And the plot... No commentaries. After 10 years I think BW deserved a better sequel. Hasbro and Mainframe (or another company) should start over again beggining from the end of BW. BM should be considered as ALTERNATIVE REALITY. We could start a move right now on this direction...

2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I haven't finished watching BM (about 1/2 through season 2 atm) but I think it's pretty interesting and most of the personality changes are fairly logical. Primal going semi-mad after essentially causing the genocide of his species, Silverbolt seeking revenge after what Megatron did to him, Rhinox letting his evil side out etc.

I think that BW needs a prequel more than anything. I would love for Mainframe to do a straight to dvd feature set on Cybertron that takes place right before BW (I haven't read the convention comic, but from what I've seen / heard about it appeared very contrived and I'm not all that huge a fan of using the Cybertron toy designs). Anyways, it could be great - show Primal and crew getting together and setting off in the Axalon, show Megatron rounded up his crew and plotting the theft, having the Predacon council sneak Tarantulus in there, maybe some Cyrotek action, also perhaps some Depthcharge vs Rampage action and even throw in Botanica in passing if you want. The point is there's lots you can do with a prequel.

3. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

i actually liked it really. i can live with some of the personality changes and such, overall the story was great, and it was on a different lvl to BW. pity it wasnt as light hearted as BW tended to be. (i am not a huge fan of a green cybertron though the concept of it was new and interesting)

it may not be the sequel that you want but its the sequel we got. alot of people hate and love this series. that is why i think it is good, cos we can debate it.

4. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hard to agree with that sentiment when Beast Machines is my favorite TF series of all time, and the one that got me back into collecting.
    :wink: 

5. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I personally liked BM.

6. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I'm also in the "I liked Beast Machines" camp.

7. Rattrap587

Ebay:
    BM is good indeed in many aspects but as the title says, BW deserved a better sequel.

8. The_Angelus_San

The_Angelus_San Well-Known Member

Although i wont deny the fact BW could of have a better sequel, in the end BM was definitely not that bad (it definitely picked up in season 2). I think it is one of those things that you tend to appreciate more as you get older and accumulate more 'life wisdom'. I know when i first saw it, i wasnt too overly impressed but when i see bits and pieces now, i can feel i get more into it and try and analyze it alot more (Same reason why i recommend you space out watching Star Trek Insurrection the first and second time, but thats another story altogether).

In the end, although initially i wasnt a big fan of BM, im definitely (in this day and age) in the 'Likes BM' camp for sure. (that and after armada and energon, well......)

9. Rattrap587

Ebay:

Interesting... With the years less I can support that organic/techno-organic past of Cybertron. Simply doesn´t makes any sense for me. And another important issue (for me) are the BM designs... At the end of BW the designs were the high "state of the art" but in BM... I simply can´t understand those designs. Modern art maybe, because is too subjective. The Vehicons were so so but the Maximals...

10. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I liked the vehicons, and loved Tankor. I just happen to hate the Maximals in BM.

11. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    What's Beast wars? I saw part of it, didn't really care for it. It was ok, but not my thing.

I loved Beast Machines. Wish they had made more like it.

12. Rattrap587

Ebay:

Saw just part of BW? Pitty.

And this is only my 2 cents for the subject. Angry is not necessary.

13. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    Who's getting angry?

BW didn't interest me. There's no "Pity" involved. :D 

14. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, BM was the only line so far that stopped me collecting. RID started me again. Also BM is the only series where I sided with the bad guys. Cybertron is for robots not some overgrown transorganic garden. Anyway, I've gone back and collected some of the BM figures as RID with recolors showed me they weren't that bad, especially the Vehicons. I'm all for an alternate reality as I think BM had the worst possible ever ending to G1 and BW. Some of the BM Maximals are really fugly too, IMHO.

15. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Beast Machines to me was okay. I liked it, just wished it had more episodes to explore some characters' minds. Not the best of sequels, but it had some ups and downs.

16. DWN013

DWN013 Holy crap in a pita!

Rattrap587, I pretty much agree w/ your point 100%. Really, I don't think it has to be a sequel per se, maybe more like an epilogue. Also, the designs... one of the biggest reasons I'm not a fan of BM is I find the designs hideous. Just my opinion though.

17. Primal84

Primal84 Well-Known Member

I loved Beast Machines' much darker elements of storytelling & visuals.

I especially enjoyed the elements of the Plasma Energy Chamber going head to head with the Key to Vector Sigma. :rock 
    Thought that idea was genius.

And thoroughly enjoyed Rhinox/Tankor's plotting behing Megatron's back.

Was it perfect or better than Beast Wars? No but it held it's own pretty well imo.

18. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I liked it, didn't like the ending thouugh.

19. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I also enjoyed the beast machines.

20. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    There was a lot about Beast Machines that I didn't like at the time it aired, but I have to admit that I was glued to the screen every week, wondering just what would happen to the characters.

My main criticism of the storytelling is that there isn't really enough plot to hold up over the entire 26 episodes. Far too many individual episodes have a lot of pointless filler in the form of fight sequences that don't necessarily advance the plot. "Spark of Darkness" is a good example, where virtually the same attack happens three different times to three different groups. Then of course, there's the "split the Maximals up into three different groups and send them on three different mission" which pads out several episodes. Both of these trends are really noticeable if you watch a number of episodes in order as opposed to watching them as broadcast on a weekly basis.

I don't really care for the ending either. Not a big fan of the technorganic Cybertron.

On the positive side, as much as I disliked the Maximals at the time, I've gotten used to most of the designs (apart from Botanica... UGH). The Vehicons are excellent, and the animation for the entire series is quite good, and has held up over time better than the animation in Beast Wars. The music is good too.

I actually enjoy most of the character arcs, though Blackarachnia's pretty much useless after Silverbolt returns, and Rattrap's effectively neutered once he gets involved with Botanica. Primal's arc is outstanding, and even Nightscream becomes somewhat bearable when he starts thinking about someone other than himself, i.e. when Noble enters the picture.

It's a good series overall. I think I've come to enjoy it more with time, especially given what we've had since.