Customs: Beast Wars Depthcharge - Oh, how cool you are; oh how awesome you could be!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Superquad7, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/366260-autobot-depthcharge-maximize.html

Hey guys, among thinks like the project link I've posted above, I've had a problem that's been bugging me for literally years. Namely, it's BW Depthcharge's figure. I really enjoy a non-obtrusive gimmick, but man, when a gimmick just gets in the way of everything, it's just awful. Enter my conundrum with this guy:

Depth Charge - Transformers Beast Wars - TFW2005

[​IMG]

(Image courtesy of Seiberton.com's toy gallery)

As you can see, the back end of this figure is a mess. It makes the display value of this figure just drop, as it can take a LOT of shelf space - too much space, imo.

So, I wanted to gauge your thoughts, Radicons, on how we can take this otherwise awesome figure, and make him super-awesome. Thoughts? Suggestions? Observations?

Attached Files:

2. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    Personally, I love the disc firing gimmick and it's fun. To make up for his display issue I just park him in a corner. He takes up a perfect triangle so by posing him diagonally he takes up less space.

Modding thoughts:
    This would involve nullifying the gimmick:
    1) In the pic provided above, cut the center trigger/tail right at the point where the wings meet it (just before the trigger) and insert a ratcheting joint that would allow movement vertically so it could be folded down.
    2) At the first tail joint (the one closest to the body of the figure) cut the joint right at the seem and insert a pin to rejoin the two pieces. This will allow you to rotate the entire tail so that it can accordion itself front and back instead of side to side.
    3) At the second (middle) tail joint, cut again just past the point of connection and insert another folding joint. This will allow the tail to completely fold up onto itslef so that, instead of forming an L shape when folded it forms a |_| shape but without the gap of course.

Doing all of that with adjusted measurements (as I'm just coming up with this by eye) could very well result in still having his tail stand for support as he originally did just, you know, more compact.

Will attach pic momentarily

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  3. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    pic added

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, your advice there is sorta what I was starting to think about. Detailing it like you have certainly helps a lot! :) 

I'd love to hear from some more of you guys, too!