Beast Wars Contributions

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by King Starscream, Oct 23, 2006.

1. King Starscream

King Starscream <b><font color=blue>The Royal Seeker</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    Beast Wars has contributed a lot of plot elements that for better or worse have become part of the TF mythos. Before Beast Wars there were no sparks, no C-R chambers, no such thing as stasis lock, and no protoforms. Now they are canon in every series since BW and some elements have been retconned into G1 via Dreamwave's and IDW's comic stories.

So what do you think were some of BW's best (and worst) contributions to the TF mythos in general?

2. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The thing I find amazing is how easily several of the elements introduced in BW could be retconned into G1, such as sparks (which help clear up what makes a machine 'alive', but confuses other issues, like whether a robots identity and memory lie in their computer brain or their spark) and Stasis-lock (which make it a little easier to believe that a buch of robots can be knocked out for millions of years without being 'dead')

I think the idea of 'protoforms', 'stasis pods', and the like are fine for BW, as they represent the technology of that era of TFs, but I'm not so crazy about them being thrown back into other 'present day' styled shows like RiD or the A-E-C shows. Especially the extension of the concept where a robot scans a vehicle or other form to immediately gain the ability to change into that form. Both G1 and BW relied (mostly) on either ship or stasis pod facilities to 'rebuild' robots into their new forms.

3. Quantum_Penguin

Quantum_Penguin Be seeing you...

Sparks are definately the best and most important element adapted from BW because it set down a precedent for what made TF's actually alive rather than just being software on a computer. It also handily explained the TF's relationship to the Matrix in an explicit fashion, whereas G1 was very vague and never very consistent. Futhermore, it didn't necessarily displace earlier explainations such as the "laser core" from G1 as a laser core could be what contains and stores the spark for future use. Hence, Wheeljack could give consciousness to the Dinobots without Vector Sigma because it had already given it to them, all he had to do was insert them into bodies.

I'd say that the protoform/CR Chamber imparting an altmode on the transformer was another good influence for its practicality (take that Teletraan magic repair beam), except that it seems that Hasbro threw that out the window when Armada Prime acquired an alt mode instantly by looking at a truck rather than having to be rebuilt by an external force.

Now for the worst. Although BW itself was redeemed by dropping the habit, it still introduced that damnable practice of saying your name and activation code to transform. To be fair to the anime inspired shows, Japanese action already did this in general, but AEC and RiD action scenes were nearly inconprehensible because they'd defer to their damn TF sequence and gimmick every time, breaking the scene's flow. I believe Hasbro felt justified in doing this because they actually carried over the BW activation codes into RiD's dub. I still shudder to hear, "Optimus Prime: MAXIMIZE!".

EDIT: Damn your quick fingers, Feral "Mavis Beacon" Storm! :p 

4. T.K. Sunglasses

T.K. Sunglasses -

I agree about the activation codes, that is the one thing I really disliked about BW. But it's forgivable since, despite how advanced the show was in some ways, they were still trying to create something that would appeal to kids, and I know that if I'd been younger when I was watching it, I would have thought that was cool. I always liked "thundercats ho!" and that sort of thing and it's along the same lines.

But other than that, I think all the contributions that series made were absolutely fantastic, and really helped clarify and expand the TF universe. Things make a lot more sense in that world. I'm even fine with their alteration of the Matrix so that it bore Optimus Prime's spark, as I actually think that works pretty well with the idea of The Matrix carrying the wisdom of all the past leaders—it would make sense that it had held all their sparks and they joined it completely when their physical bodies died.

5. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Actually, Beast Wars had nothing to do with "activation codes" in the shows after it.

Takara was doing it as soon as they started doing the shows way back with Headmasters. If anything, BW got it from them.

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'll go along with the whole 'activation code' thing, though BW justified it in an almost clever way - as a trigger word for an optional automated transforming system. Better idea than "just somethin' ya say", anyway. Can't say I ever thought much of "I am transformed" though.

On the issue of Sparks, I tend to believe the idea that in the timeframe of G1, the 'bots and 'cons had a good understanding of their mechanicals/electronics, but very little understanding of their own sparks (much the way humans' medical knowledge advanced over time). Thus the use of terms like 'laser core' and the mysticism of creating new Transformer lives, usually requiring "Vector Sigma" or the "Creation Matrix". By the BW era, creating new protoform lives from the Matrix/Allspark seemed to be a fairly common occurence.

I thought the (cartoon continuity) Dinobots were pretty special in that context. Since they were created indepedently of any "creation force", they either have no sparks or 'artifical' sparks, which is why they don't have the smarts of your average Autobot.

aaaaannnd I'm thinking too much. :) 

7. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

When did he ever say that? Though I haven't watched my recorded versions in a while I'm fairly certain the only activation code that came from BW to RID was Terrorize for the Predacons, the Autobots only said TRANSFORM!

Also; the reason why the Autobots could scan something in Armada and that probably stems from the built in DNA Scanners introduced by Beast Machines, Nightscream had one as did apparently the entire populace of Cybertron to further assist in the Transformation adaption process. Say what you will about the show I liked Beast Machines and point of fact I don't think it's stupid to be able ot scan a vehicle and instantly adapt to it, it helps speed up the Earth adaption process so that the Autobots can disguise themselves quickly without relying on possibly outdated external scanning devices that, going by Teletran-1 from the original series, may or may not have had difficulty in recognizing the pre-dominate lifeforms of the planet. Besides; they didn't look and adapt, as it was animated they used their optics to scan the new transform and their bodies adapted in a split second most likely due to the way the Transformers bodies have that in-flux deal considering they can change their alt modes on apparently a whim.

Anyway I'd have to agree with everyone who's said something in this post concerning the best BW had to offer. Expanding on the Mythos is always fun and informative; I just hope they don't try too drastic an expansion come next year. Though I could probably adapt to it. :lolol 

8. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

The Dinobots are an interesting case. Maybe the Ark had some stored protoforms on board like the Axalon or personality components like when Starscream made the Combaticons, but the protoform technology wasn't as advanced as in BW times which is why they came out stupid.

I also remember after writing my fanfic, I was discussing with someone reasons to explain Optimus Prime's revival. He suggested that maybe Op just went into stasis lock in the movie and no one had ever seen that medical condition before so they thought he was dead. But then we realized that wouldn't work because all the Autobots and Decepticons were said to be in stasis lock when the Ark originally crashed so that wouldn't work.

I like most of the BW terminology. The Spark was really the episode that caught my attention and kept me watching the show which did a great job explaining the new concepts like protoforms and sparks. It's a good episode to show new fans of BW (aside from the pilot, natch).

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Sparks are definitely the best thing IMO...and the activation codes aren't a bad idea, but it really bugs me in the first few episodes when it would be a huge production "Optimus Primal.........................MAX-I-MIZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" I understand they were still introduciong characters and wanted to show of the CGI, but long transformation sequences have always bugged the hell out of me.

10. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

The toy says it.

11. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

I wished they'd kept on "slag" as a faux curse word. I love faux curse words.

12. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It died off for a couple of years, but had a comeback in Cybertron, where it got used quite a bit.

13. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I already said this once, but "activation codes" didn't come from BW. They've been around since the Japanese series, Headmasters.

14. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    me too...i still use that alot...its a great way to get around swearing when working with children...